• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

file not embeded in illy - what to do?

Sign_Boy

Hey all,

I'm hoping someone could help me out here.
I have an ai that's missing an image (it's not embeded) and I don't have the file, I can get it but wanted to try a workaround first.
I do however have a pdf with the image in it.
Is there anyway to open the pdf in illy and somehow preserve the image?

I'd appreciate any help on this.
:thankyou:

:supersmilie:

WildWestDesigns

Hey all,

I'm hoping someone could help me out here.
I have an ai that's missing an image (it's not embeded) and I don't have the file, I can get it but wanted to try a workaround first.
I do however have a pdf with the image in it.
Is there anyway to open the pdf in illy and somehow preserve the image?

I'd appreciate any help on this.
:thankyou:

:supersmilie:

Did you try "placing" the pdf in an ai document? "Placing" instead of flat out opening seems to be a workaround that's being used lately. Give that a try if you haven't already.

Sign_Boy

Did you try "placing" the pdf in an ai document? "Placing" instead of flat out opening seems to be a workaround that's being used lately. Give that a try if you haven't already.

Tried it, no luck. It brought it in but I couldn't break it apart.
Thanks anyway!!

Custom_Grafx

Right click on the Ai file in question, and open with acrobat pro.

If you see the image there, let me know.

Sometimes you can see it when opening it with acrobat, but when opening in Ai, it'll tell you it's missing a linked file.

If it's the former, there is a work around, as WWD mentioned.

Sign_Boy

Right click on the Ai file in question, and open with acrobat pro.

If you see the image there, let me know.

Sometimes you can see it when opening it with acrobat, but when opening in Ai, it'll tell you it's missing a linked file.

If it's the former, there is a work around, as WWD mentioned.

Did it and it's there

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
can you post the pdf?
There is almost always a way to extract images from pdfs.

wayne k
guam usa

Sign_Boy

can you post the pdf?
There is almost always a way to extract images from pdfs.

wayne k
guam usa

Not sure if the customer wants this out there.
I'll PM you in a sec.

Thanks

On a side note the customer is getting me the file I need.
Now it's just a matter of trying to figure a way to do this, but I feel Mason may be right.

royster13

Drag it in and put it back together....Cut and paste it into a new document....And then rasterize the result....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I opened it in adobe reader.
Right clicked on the image with the attribute inspector and copied the image to the clipboard.
Pasted it into the open pdf in illy and it came in as a cymk bitmap 490x373 pixels.
Looks correct but I am not sure.
The layout is a business card and the image takes up just a small part of the layout so I think it is the correct biz card size but will not be much use in a banner or poster layout.

wayne k
guam usa

Letterbox Mike

place the .pdf in a new document, then go to (I think, I'm not at a design computer) the object menu > flatten transparency, then hit control-7 a couple times to release any clipping masks, that should allow you to break apart the file and edit it like normal.

Sign_Boy

I opened it in adobe reader.
Right clicked on the image with the attribute inspector and copied the image to the clipboard.
Pasted it into the open pdf in illy and it came in as a cymk bitmap 490x373 pixels.
Looks correct but I am not sure.
The layout is a business card and the image takes up just a small part of the layout so I think it is the correct biz card size but will not be much use in a banner or poster layout.

wayne k
guam usa

wayne k
guam usa

Same thing happened here - MikePro nailed it with his PS idea.
Thanks again for checking it out.

Sign_Boy

place the .pdf in a new document, then go to (I think, I'm not at a design computer) the object menu > flatten transparency, then hit control-7 a couple times to release any clipping masks, that should allow you to break apart the file and edit it like normal.

Tried that, but it didn't work.
There were no clipping masks.

But MikePros idea worked.

Thanks for the idea insignia

Bly

Opening the file in Reader Pro, then right clicking with the Touch Up object tool gives you the Edit option which will open the image in Photoshop.