• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Filling acrylic - polyurethane?

MikePro

have always wanted to do this, but haven't a clue as to where to start looking.
I'm basically inlaying colored acrylic into a clear acrylic that I have machined-down, and wish to either, or both, bond/encapsulate with a resin.

Would polyurethane be the way to go? I have read that water-based resists yellowing.
or should I be shopping for some form of epoxy that boasts non-yellowing, like "artresin"?

am I heading in the right direction? I was going to start working on some samples, but was hoping for some input to keep me from overthinking this :)

Last edited:

letterman7

I'd just glue the inlay with the clear acrylic glue. Why do you want to encapsulate everything? I'm half thinking depending on where it's going to be there might be some issue with expansion that might pop the resin.

studio 440

use pure casting acylic 50/50 the same stuff the use on table tops super clear and durable able to be pour thick ,no heat or yellowing like resin

MikePro

thanks for the replies! i like the acrylic glue, as it has been tried & tested, but it is only ideal if I can not have it be visible from backside....as it dries bubbly/crusty-looking. was leaning towards a resin for the sake of clarity, if becomes necessary.

also, not saying encapsulating is necessary, just always nice to have options :)

confirmed that polyurethane is not suitable for this.... doesn't really bond the letter, it holds it in but I may as well be using silicone/elmer's glue.