• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

filters

if you take a look at this photo>>> http://www.filterforge.com/gallery/165.html

its from the filter forge website, the guy is using 2 seperate filters....but how do you get that effect?

basically, how do you use a filter on the part of the picture you need it? is this just several layers? for example he used one filter on the walls and a different filter on the floor.....how is this done?

i've been playing around with filters alittle, but more color/b and w, tone filters on photographics.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Using Photoshop is 90% about making partial selections to process. This can be done in numerous ways using different tools included in Photoshop from the marquee select to the various masking tools. In the example, the wall was selected and processed with the wall distressed filter and the floor was selected and processed with the metal grunge filter.

ahhhh....ok!! so by selecting certain areas and then using a filter in that selecttion you then get that area filled with that filter...got it...thanks fred.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
To be more precise ... there are two kinds of filters in Filter Forge. There are textures and there are effects. Textures will generally replace whatever is there and effects will change what is there while retaining some or all of the original image.

oh right.......so basically get a picture and play with it then, see what the filter can do. i've been playing with some black and white effects with color tones, quite impressed with the outcome.

starting to really look into photoshop and picture effects, finding it quite remarkable what you can actually do. have been youtubing tuturials for days now!

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
These are probably not what I would call filters -- more like effects.

AutoFX <-- there are demos available.

I have Dream Suite Series 1, AutoEye, Photographic Edges, and Dream Suite Gel Series.

I don't use them often, but they do work very well.

What I use most often is the Liquid metal in the Dream Suite series 1 for excellent chrome or gold or platinum or whatever effects.

Lots of options for those who like to fiddle and lots of presets for those who don't.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I would classify effects as something that adds elements to an image and filters as something that alters existing images or parts of an image.

In going through the list of things the AutoFX collection does, I'd say its a good mixture of both, in varying degrees.

sfr table hockey

rushworks,

If you want something to be hooked on, try out photoshopusertv and start back at some old episodes. I am hooked on these guys and have learned a pile. Have a note pad ready and write out as many notes as you can so you can with the episode number and refer back to them. You will love photoshop even more.... but there is a catch. When you see what CS5 can do you might want a new toy for Christmas.

thanks for the info sfr. i have been looking on youtube at a guy called ajwood, hes some ps guru and does a great job at explaining stuff.

will checkout the photoshopusertv for sure.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
are there any good websites with filters you can try that you know of?

Filter Forge
has a fully functional free 30 day trial and a library of just under 8,500 filters. They also have a number of free packs that are Photoshop plugins of selected filters that have no time limit.

Genetica Viewer is a free application that allows you to modify and render seamless tiles from most of the preset library. It's limitation is that it doesn't allow you to create new filters ... which puts it on a level with Eye Candy except it's free. You can make seamless tiles out of most photographs and lots of other neat stuff with the full paid version of Genetica.