• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fine horizontal lines near one roller?

Bogie

Not banding (that goes in the _other_ direction...), but it looks like maybe the rollers are picking up ink or something... Several little hairlines after a really dense area.

How bad's this news? Part of the heater? Roller?

iSign

your printer has rollers that touch the media after the ink goes down?

mine only feed the media to where the printing happens and could never be "picking up ink" ...but one time after cleaning the heads, I bumped into a roller with the solvent swap & left a little residue that resulted in a little discoloration from contaminating the media a tiny bit for a few inches.

GK

Bogie, if you have rollers like ours does, you should give them a quick cleaning when you clean the capping stations and such, they always tend to get a little greasy and sometimes pick up hairs/dust and such. Have any picture of it to post?

Bogie

Oh, doh.. We had a power "oh bleep" the other day, and when it came back on, it ran the banner back through...

Thanks!

I'm just so used to the Epson aqueus printers, where the stuff is _immediately_ dry, without a whole heckuva lot of help...

Bogie

BTW, any hints around cleaning the things? Bogie has fat fingers... And while I splurged on a maintenance manual via the 'Bay, I really don't wanna take the whole mess apart today...

Bogie

Oh yeah - the lines are fairly uniform, and look like they are made by some sorta multi pizza cutter... Can't really see a lot around the rollers, and I'm thinking that they're buried somewhere in the maintenance manual, cuz I ain't found 'em yet...

Bogie

Okay... If anyone searches for this and finds this in the future.

They call them rollers because they ROLL when you've got them lifted. Just take Mr. Q-tip, and swab at them, and they'll turn freely. It's _amazing_ how much gunk you'll get of the "clean" ones, and the dirty ones are truly funky...

Bogie

Okay - degunked the bejeezwhozis out of 'em, and the q-tips are coming clean, so something else is going...

Yup. Didn't solve the problem...

Actually, the lines look sorta multi-colored... but each line is also straight... Could this be some sorta headstrike? Picture enclosed, and I included an old quarter for scale...

Attachments

• skidmarx.jpg
    skidmarx.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 91

GK

look underneath on the head carriage, we get lines like this when some lint like fuzz has built up on the heads. Sometimes it has more then one color because more then one head has some fibers on them. Have you run any banner recently? The scrim fibers have been notorious for causing this. Take a look underneath.

Bogie

Oh joy... Now to figure out how to look under the head...

(maintenance manual, here I come...)

Bogie

Also, if the head's crudded, why isn't it doing it all the way across the vinyl? Why just in the one area? The lines are perpendicular to the head movement...

iSign

Oh joy... Now to figure out how to look under the head...

(maintenance manual, here I come...)
well... your signature says you are the head janitor :rolleyes:

...yeah, regarding your other comment, I think George may have overlooked that perpendicular orientation... I think the fuzz factor creates marks parallel to head travel.

Have you trouble shot this issue with various media?
Is that photo a banner print, or vinyl, or?
I've seen banners with bad spots in the weave that pick up the ink differently, so I'd be curious if the lines correspond to the weave if it's a banner.

As far as the uniformity of the lines, do they match your roller placement? I know you thought the roller could be to blame... even though cleaning didn't help, do they line up?

Even the slightest expansion of a media, from humidity etc, could result in very slight puckering of the media between rollers, & this could result in a very very slight head strike, recurring in every pass, over each puckering spot. I'm thinking this is a long shot guess, because I don't know how many stripes you are getting... but just trying to keep the ideas flowing.

Jackpine

Also, if the head's crudded, why isn't it doing it all the way across the vinyl? Why just in the one area? The lines are perpendicular to the head movement...
Clean around the edge of the print head with a foam swab and cleaning solvent or 91% denatured alcohol. Just clean around the heads not the print head itself. I believe this is a Mutoh Jr....so set the vacuum on the front control panel to high. It looks like what iSign stated...very small head strikes. The Mutoh's rollers are under the media. It is not roller marks.

Bogie

Did it on thinish vinyl too... I'm thinking that you may be right...

Where's my hammer...

BTW, my New Favorite Tool is one of the Surefire tactical lights... You can see things you didn't care existed...