• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

finishing/de-burring diabond/maxmetal & such

sigsignman

In my heart, I know the answer but here is what we do. Currently, cut diabond or metal over plastic core sheets on a safety speed saw. The edges are always rough. We've used deburring tools, then I see my employees hitting the edges with files and such. Is a table router the best way to cleanly remove these edges?...what a 45 degree bit that barely bites the corners off?...does anyone have any good suggestions? thank you!

David

Z SIGNS

de burring tool or a file works the best.Any other way to much time and effort for the same result

bigben

I've bought a shaviv double burr tool and never figure how to use it on dibond. It carve in the aluminum intead of just shaving it.

bigben

here is a small video I've just made. The quality is not at is best, but it give you an idea.

[video=youtube_share;KRRyk9bvoPQ]http://youtu.be/KRRyk9bvoPQ[/video]

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
When you cut aluminum laminates you do not need to dress the edges by removing material, be it deburring tools, files, abrasives, or whatever. Unless you cut the stuff with a chainsaw, the edges are just distorted, not ragged. The edges just need to be re-formed.

I have a 10"+- piece of 1"x3/4" brass bar with slightly rounded edges. All that I need to do is push or pull the end of the brass bar, with a little pressure, along the edge at a slight angle to the surface and the edge is reformed. Running this brass bar over the edges produces an edge pretty much indistinguishable from the factory edge. No material removal whatsoever and the brass has little if any discernible effect on the surface.

Baz

We use either a file or if we have allot to do, a quick pass with an electric sander works just fine.

print monster

Straight Edge and a Utility Knife

When we cut Poly-Metal we use a Straight edge and a Utility knife score it and snap it and then just use a steel file and file the cut edge. Works great for us.

sardocs

We do basically what Bob said. We use a heavy screwdriver instead of a brass bar, but the results are the same. Just run the shaft of the driver around the perimeter of the the sign on both sides using moderate pressure and it's good-to go.

hotboxdp

When you cut aluminum laminates you do not need to dress the edges by removing material, be it deburring tools, files, abrasives, or whatever. Unless you cut the stuff with a chainsaw, the edges are just distorted, not ragged. The edges just need to be re-formed.

I have a 10"+- piece of 1"x3/4" brass bar with slightly rounded edges. All that I need to do is push or pull the end of the brass bar, with a little pressure, along the edge at a slight angle to the surface and the edge is reformed. Running this brass bar over the edges produces an edge pretty much indistinguishable from the factory edge. No material removal whatsoever and the brass has little if any discernible effect on the surface.
This procedure is brilliant! Here I've been filing the edges all along which is a pain. I used the handle edge of a big wrench and it works like a charm. Perfect! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

natallica

Graphics Guru
We have one of these, and love it!

-N8