• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Firefox - Downloading Dilemma - HELP ?

Replicator

Whenever I attempt to download a file the download dialog defaults to the open tick box and the "do this for al files" tick box is grayed out . . .

Can anyone help me solve this problem ?

I want the defaults to be reverse of the current, but can't find where to make these changes in any options area.

HELP ! ! ! . . . and Thank You.

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 99

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
what type of file are you trying to download?? i've found firefox won't let "do for all files" on certain extensions....

dbenec

rep -

go to firefox prefs.

click on application tab

select filetype

change pulldown menu to the right to 'save file'

Replicator

I appreciate the suggestion dbenec, but I have already changed all the preferences in that sub-menu set and it still asks for all files . . .

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
This applies to all versions of Firefox and Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey

If problems arise or if you want to restore the default set of file download actions, do the following [2]:

1. Type about:config into the address bar.
2. Find the preference browser.download.pluginOverrideTypes and, if it is present, right-click on it and select reset.
3. Find the preference plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types and, if it is present, right-click on it and select reset.
4. Exit the browser, then open the profile folder (the profile folder is hidden by default in Windows 2000/XP/Vista and Linux; read this if you need help finding it).
5. Delete (or rename) the file mimeTypes.rdf. Caution: There is also a mimeTypes.rdf file in the program folder. Do not delete it by mistake.

from here

Replicator

Thanks fenris242 . . . Unfortunely, neither one of those choices are in the preferences page at about:config.

Back to square one.

Replicator

It could be a download manager add-on, although none are installed now and the problem still exists.

The mime-type article did not help either, I will continue to search for a solution . . .

Replicator

Firefox 3.51 newest updated version on XP-Pro

I wish I could. Seriously considering deleting the program and all registry entries and reinstalling, but what a PITA . . . !

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
from what i've been reading, it seems a lot of people are having that issue with 3.5....did it just start happening when you upgraded to 3.5? or was it doing it before? any chance you can back firefox up to your previous version??

there's a MIME edit add-on (which from what i'm understanding allows more control over these settings), but it doesn't work in 3.5 yet

Replicator

I don't know when it started because I've been using a download manager until recently.

Now that I am letting firefox handle the downloads it isn't giving me the correct options, but I don't honestly know how long it's been going on.

functionpdx

Would reinstalling Firefox take you longer than 4 hours? I'm guessing about 15 minutes should do it. Export your bookmarks, delete, reinstall and only use the add ons you actually need.