• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Firefox: Program too big to fit memory

Bigdawg

Just Me
All of a sudden I am getting this error when i try to run Firefox. It pops up the DOS box briefly when I start the program and it took me 2 or 3 times to be able to read the message. I did delete then reinstall Firefox.

Anyone know anything about this? Windows XP machine with all updates.

Replicator

From what i've been able to find about this error message, it may be a virus !

Run a virus scan and an adware program to check for malicious content on your machine !

SignsRus

Bet it's a virus. That dos prompt is the virus disabling your internet I'm sure. When you reboot your pc does a dos prompt come up very quickly during windows load?

I'd try booting into safemode, and running a virus scan, etc.

If there isn't anything important on the pc I'd just format the thing and not even waste any time. That is if it' a virus!

I had a virus that did something similar a few weeks ago and after 2 days of trying to remove it just formatted. Luckily it only infected .exe files so I just backed up my other stuff put it on my external and formatted.

nothing like a fresh install anyways!

Sign_Boy

I ran spybot search and destroy "Thank you Shovel" and it fixed my machine when I had that meltdown. Did you make sure to get all of the files associated with Firefox when you removed the program?

Bigdawg

Just Me
I did. AVG and adaware and windows tool find nothing. I'll try spybot and check for a thorough removal.

no dos screen at startup and can't reformat the drive - would take me forever to set back up.

Sign_Boy

I did. AVG and adaware and windows tool find nothing. I'll try spybot and check for a thorough removal.

no dos screen at startup and can't reformat the drive - would take me forever to set back up.

I doubt there would be a need to reformat at this point.
I ran AdAware also it didn't fix the problem.

Did you have any programs running when you did the install?

Good luck keep us posted

prophett

an easy way to check if you have a virus is by checking the processes tab in task manager. if you have one it will show up there. when and if you find it, do a search on the name of the virus in google and find out how to remove it safely. just my .02 cents.

Si Allen

Stacy....you have my deepest sympathy!

I too, acquired a virus, and wound up formatting my HD....nothing would get it out!

Still installing programs!

People who write these virii should be slowly lowered feet first into a giant meat grinder...and the results fed to pigs!

I am now finally able to get on the Net!

:banghead: