• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First banner - Woo Hoo

oc63rag

We did our first banner today. It's for a relative's b-day party so we did it for free/practice. We won't have our business license for another few weeks so we can use this time to work out the kinks. The design was done in Illustrator CS2 and printed on an HP5000ps. It's simple but I'm very proud of the way it turned out.

Attachments

• DSCF2001.jpg
    DSCF2001.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 389
Sorry to tell you, but you're gonna be doing friends/relatives b-day banners for free even after you get your license and don't need the practice anymore. It's somebody's birthday every week around here. Nice banner, by the way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:thumb: Looks good

free/practice....... that'll get old real fast.........

Start charging before you get in trouble. You're materials and equipment didn't come free.

dswanson

your enemies aren't going to make you rich. friends and family pay just like anyone else and sometimes more for the pita charge

Practice printing this:

We know you are a good friend, BUT nevertheless,
we must charge you our usual fee for the services that we provide you.

Actually we dislike having to charge our friends, but we did a study,
and found that none of our enemies did any business with us

Remember, family members have friends, and their friends have more friends - all the while thinking that you only spent $99.95 on your printer, and $49.95 on your software - materials are free (if you did not know).

Nice banner BTW!

JERHEMI

Banner looks good! But, from experience beware of what you make for family and friends! haha If you make something for one person's birthday, graduation, or anniversary just to be nice, be prepared to get asked to make something for every persons birthday, graduation, or anniversary! Then if you say no, you will get the "why not? You made a banner for such & such! Why can't you make one for me??" It took me about 2 years when I started out to make my family & close friends understand I'm not in the business to make free shit for them when they need it, I'm in the business to make money!!

Then I made the mistake 2 years ago and made a custom sign for my best buddy to hang around his neck for his bachelor party just for a joke that said "I'm a bachelor (with an arrow pointing up to his face) BUY ME BEERS!" Let just say the sign was a huge hit and he got free beers all night long...mission accomplished! But, making that one sign for one buddy, now when all my buddies get engaged they tell me "DUDE, YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE ME A KICKASS SIGN FOR MY BACHELOR PARTY LIKE YOU DID FOR JOHN RIGHT?!?!" Then me thinking to myself..."Oh shit, why did I make that damn sign!"haha So, instead of just showing up to the bachelor parties empty handed like everybody else and having a good time, I have to show up with a bachelor party sign or I look like the asshole! haha So the moral of the story if you decide to do something for free for one family member or close friend to be nice, think twice because it isn't going to stop with that one family member or close friend! haha

oc63rag

Thanks for the replies everyone. I totally agree on the concept of charging for everything you produce. Maybe I'm a sucker but I'm not comfortable charging until we're 100% legal. For this banner the person wanted to pay but we declined. We are going to give them some business cards to hand out to anyone that asks about the banner. The idea was to do this one for free and get some future business as a result.
As soon as the license is final the "practice" will stop.
Thanks again

Flame

Someone has never heard of "cash" before.......

:rolleyes:

welcome to Signs101 BTW. Nice looking banner.

dswanson

Good Idea Pro I think we all have some practice jobs he can do, and we can all start the weekend a little earlier