• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First ever awning!

hcardwell93

I just finished covering this awning this afternoon. Its 1 of 2 for this customer. Its my first ever 100% in house awning project. I fabricated the frames, painted the sunbrella fabric and I should install them later this week.

Do you have any suggestions that could help me improve in the future?

20170605_132203.jpg

20170605_132240.jpg

visual800

Im not going to rip you apart it looks very clean and on point but maybe work on NOT having open cut channel showing on the sides of awning and possibly one day maybe paint frames black. But man, I like it!

hcardwell93

Your lettering on the Sunbrella looks great! What kind of stencil and paint did you use if I may ask.
Thanks Johnny! I used 751 for the stencil and heat set it with a heat gun. The paints were Sherwin Williams A-100 exterior acrylic latex. My base coat was a grey that matched the cloth. This prevents bleed from being visible. I did 2 coats of white for the graphics.

hcardwell93

I wanted to use 651 but I couldn't get a roll of low tack tape delivered in time and the 751 stayed on slightly better as I removed the tape.

hcardwell93

Those turned out great!! Did you use the existing frames? So the sunbrella material came in the grey and you just painted the base + white?

I'd love to learn more about awnings....they're something I very rarely work with.
Thanks!

I built the frames myself. Yes, the graphics are painted grey with 2 coats of white on top. PM me if you want to know more about the process.