• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

first few feet of print have dust on them...

pixel_pusher

For some reason, our MacTac calendered vinyl always has dirt or dust on the first couple feet of every print job. This wasn't the case until a few months ago, and we haven't changed media brands or anything. It doesn't happen with all media, mainly just the MacTac stuff. We have tried manually cleaning the heads, keeping the floor mopped to cut down on dust and keeping the media in its plastic bag between jobs. No matter what, there's always gunk on the first couple feet of the print. Any ideas?

The printer is a Roland VP-540.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're picking up dirt somewhere-somehow.

Remember, vinyl practically attracts dirt and contamination particles like flies to sh!t.

pixel_pusher

But it only happens with one or two kinds of media, not the other 7 or 8. It also only recently started happening. I've never heard of selective dust attraction in vinyl.

ucmj22

Some vinyls carry more static electricity than others. If the recently changed their backing, or vinyl formula, I could see it happening.

FishnSigns

We keep the original bags/sleeves from our vinyl and cover the rolls to help with dust. Might help? We have also got into the habit of wiping off the rolls after we load them on the printer BEFORE feeding the material up to the pinch rollers.

If it's only the first 1-2' of new rolls, the finger points to MacTAc, they probably have let their QC slip. Hope this helps.

2B

If it's only the first 1-2' of new rolls, the finger points to MacTAc, they probably have let their QC slip. Hope this helps.

this is my thought, the arlon banner material we use is the same way, have to spool the roll 2 full rotations on new rolls to ensure no contamination, then it prints fine.