• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First outdoor wall mural/wrap on brick surface...

FatCat

Took on a 12' x 20' wall mural to advertise the summer movie series for our local Parks and Rec. I did the design trying to keep things looking "period" with the photo, kept the colors simple and fonts easy to read. We had a lot of fun with this project, and had lots of rubber-neckers while we were out there working. I feel this did some good PR for my company as well. :)

Eagles Pizza was the sponsor, so the ad was installed on their building which is in the center of town and has great exposure. We got a late start Friday morning (10:30) and had to quit by 1:00pm as the sun was direct on us and the 3rd panel was REALLY soft going down and had some stretch issues to deal with at the end. Finished hanging the last 2 panels Saturday morning and then spend another 2 hours re-heating all the joints, etc. to ensure good adhesion. We ended up using the 3M 8624 wall wrap material and a generic cast laminate. Only has to be up for 3 months, so this combo should be sufficient.

1964869_754559354587166_3389276685962332473_n.jpg

Thoughts; If you've done a box truck wrap then you can do this. However, I will stress that the brick we installed on was very irregular and had deep mortar joints and required a lot of heating and pushing to get it all into shape. We first tried rollers, but in the end we found a good thick towel worked best/easiest and we were able to push the vinyl into the nooks and crannies where the roller didn't want to go.

Finished product;

ResizedImage_1402313408358.jpg

The photo in the mural is a shot of the town center back in 1891 - the masonic lodge is on the left and in the mural you can see it still stands today, but is a law office now.

10390931_754583664584735_8114183518671824133_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FatCat

Looks great. What did you use to prep the brick surface?

Fortunately it had rained several days prior to installing and had washed any major dust/grit off the wall. We gave it Thursday to allow it to dry with the sun and then installed Friday/Saturday. Other than a quick dusting down with a broom, nothing else done.

nikdoobs

Fortunately it had rained several days prior to installing and had washed any major dust/grit off the wall. We gave it Thursday to allow it to dry with the sun and then installed Friday/Saturday. Other than a quick dusting down with a broom, nothing else done.

Interesting. I wouldn't think vinyl would stick to brick and mortar very well. Even If it was clean. Good to know.

FatCat

Interesting. I wouldn't think vinyl would stick to brick and mortar very well. Even If it was clean. Good to know.

Well, 3M 8624 is made for brick/block wall installs. I am sure other vinyls would "stick" for a short time, but without being able to heat it and stretch it down into the nooks/crannies it would probably fail a lot faster.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Try 480Cv3 next time (if you can print it) it works awesome for textured surface and doesn't stretch like the 8624 in the sun, it also goes down well with heat and a rollepro.

Looks awesome btw!