• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First sign using new Matthew's mixing station

SignManiac

And in the new paint booth. Only wish I had done this years ago.
The Green is Lime Lollipop, almost perfect match for Kawasaki green. Mixed from a PMS color and hit the color 100% perfect on our very first custom color mix attempt! 3' x 6' PVC sign.

Attachments

• results1.jpg
    results1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 140

CES020

You mean you won't be heading to the home improvement store for sign paint? :)

Nice letters, nice colors.

fmg

Matthews sign paint formulas are pretty pretty good and the PMS match is very accurate.

SignManiac

Thanks everyone. Yes my mind is racing at the thought of all the possibilities. I'm itching to paint something with the metallics :)

klemgraphics

That sign looks great, maybe some day I can convince my customers that they want something like that.

BC CC is Basecoat Clearcoat, automotive terms....great stuff but pricey and probably overkill

I've been wanting to find out more about Matthews for a long time, but everytime I ask Glantz about info and chip charts or anything they say they are going to send it and I never get it so I pretty much gave up at this point. Is it a single stage urethane or what exactly?

SignManiac

Okay thanks for the clarification. I know what that is but I'm more of a spelling kind of guy and hadn't seen that acronym before.

Matthews is single stage urethane but you can also clear coat if you like. I went with satin setup along with gloss clears for when I want to go that route. My Orlando branch Glantz was great in getting me everything I needed. I'd definitely follow up on that and raise some hell.

Robert Boyd

Tell us more. Did you produce the lettering and what is the backgound.
Is this an exterior sign and what is the life expectancy of the paint.
Looks awesome

SignManiac

The sign is 3'h. x 6'w. The face is 3/4" PVC with a 3" HDU return on the edges to make it look thick. We cut the prismatic letters from the same 3/4" PVC. The smaller letters were cut from 1/4". I did a .06 deep hog out to inlay the letters. This way my guys can't screw up the spacing trying to figure out where everything goes. No way to predict lifespan of paint due to several factors, but I do expect to get a minimum of seven year if the client doesn't lift a finger to keep it clean, they never do. Dirt and grime will make it look like crap if they can't be bothered to wash it. That's okay, I'll gladly repaint it when the time comes and charge them plenty for it.

Oh and it's an exterior wall sign.

Here's an edge view.

Attachments

• results2.jpg
    results2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 91

CES020

Did you sand the letters after cutting the prismatic effect or did you get prime over what you cut? I can't see the detail that well, but it looks like you can see the step lines where the cutter moved up or down for the next cut. What brand of PVC is that, because the edges look really finished well.

Does the matthews primer fill really well? Or is fairly thin?