• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question First Time Cutting PVC Board on CNC...

0igo

So a client of mine wants me to make him some UFC signs (the one the girls hold up in the ring). I'm thinking of using either ACP or PVC Board. (most likely going with pvc because of the edges). Does PVC get like foam after it's been cut and require lots of sanding down time? Or is a PVC Board bad choice for the ring girl sign?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless you go with a rather hefty thickness....... pvc is gonna bend/bow when being held by only two corners at the bottom. I would look into a gatorboard of maybe 1/2" and reinforce where they will be held.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
6MM PVC should be more than adequate. Cuts great on a table or panel saw.

bannertime

I don't know anything about CNC, but I feel like a 10mm styrene faced foamboard (Ultraboard) might be better for a custom cut rigid sign. That's just from doing other ultraboard cut outs.

0igo

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I'm going with something thicker for sure. I thought a 40in x 40 in piece of 6mm PVC wouldn't bend but I'm starting to think that it will. It's going to be held up inside an MMA ring

GB2

Old Member
6mm PVC would be too heavy and flexible at that size and if dropped might break. The foamboard products would be OK but would be subject to damage if mishandled. You'd probably be best off with 10mm coroplast.

bannertime

6mm PVC would be too heavy and flexible at that size and if dropped might break. The foamboard products would be OK but would be subject to damage if mishandled. You'd probably be best off with 10mm coroplast.

Oh, or that bubble board stuff. 365 sells it as Polyair.

Sandman

Coroplast or Fome-Core or Ultra-Board with vinyl numbers. You're over thinking this. First, at 40 x 40 they need to be light. Second, so what if the edges get dinged a little. Who's looking that closely at the card anyway? Ring girls in bikinis... yeah people are going to be staring at the signs.

unclebun

We make 24"x36" 30 second cards for motocross out of 6mm expanded PVC. We hand cut them and use a hand rotary tool to make the cutouts for handholds. A router would do the same and be faster. The boards are durable (we've never had a track bring one back because it broke, but we've had several bring them back for new graphics because they changed sponsors) and while hefty enough to not blow away easily are still light enough that girls can hold them up for 30 seconds and then turn them sideways. Coroplast won't last half a season of motocross, and has sharp corners to boot. Ultraboard would be worse.
https://instagram.com/p/BYR0j4zl0uU/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_loading_state_control
Looks to me like 40"x40" would be way oversize. The UFC ones look like they are 24"x24" octagons. So I think 6mm PVC is your best choice.