• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flash is nearly dead

WildWestDesigns

But who still uses cassettes? When was the last time you bought a CD as opposed to an easy music purchase download?
Evolution. Move on. If all you know is flash development. Sorry. Grow up and learn HTML5 or live with the cassette tape.

You are always going to have people that still support the old methods. There are quite a few people that still run low resolution on their monitors if though their monitors can support higher resolutions. I know luxury vehicles that still have tape decks in them. My parents (and even myself) still buy things on CDs. It does happen.

I find it ironic though that even though Apple wants HTML5 to be the thing and advocates it as such due to its universal acceptance, it doesn't seem like they are using it for places like their movie trailer site etc. I know my Droid 3 doesn't play the trailers on that site at all and the app that Apple came out for that site as far as I know is only for Apple devices.

It lends credibility to the notion that something else is going on there as far as it goes with Apple's anti-flash campaign.

One thing that is different as far as Flash goes compared to CDs, tapes and blu-ray etc is that Flash has more room to adapt and to continue to be relevant. CDs, tapes, laserdiscs, blu-ray etc don't have that luxury for evolution. I'm sure there will be a peak eventually, but Flash still has a way to grow, in my opinion. I don't think it'll ever be as hot as it once was though, but it might still be relevant in certain applications.

JoshLoring

WildWestDesigns said:
know my Droid 3 doesn't play the trailers on that site at all

That's because the droid browsers tried to be cool with flash and neglected html5 support. Lol

The shear fact that adobe dropped flash support to mobile devices is evidence to move to HTML5.

If your clients aren't updated to 2011 technology- they simply won't succeed. If they have a low resolution monitor and old Internet explorer, they don't have the money to be your client so why target them?

Trust me, we are online SEO experts and you won't succeed by marketing online with flash. Can't do it..

WildWestDesigns

I didn't say that they were using low resolution monitors, I said that they had their monitors on the low resolution setting even though the monitor could support higher.

They also aren't my clients, my clients update quite a bit, not all the time mind you, but quite a bit.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Snore.

Yeah, Adobe is going to discontinue further development of Flash. But that doesn't mean Flash is dead -certainly not on desktop computers.

There's two basic problems with completely eliminating Flash.

1. HTML 5 is a GIANT MESS right now. Browser support on both desktop computers and mobile phones absolutely sucks. Google Chrome on the desktop is the only web browser doing a credible job with HTML5 support. Internet Explorer 9 is laughably bad and HTML5 support on IE8 and IE7 is non-existent. Apple touts a bunch of HTML5 stuff at their web site, but a bunch of the bells and whistles only works in the Safari browser. So much for sticking with anything "standards compliant."

2. There is zero simple alternative to Flash. It's a LOT EASIER to create something in Adobe Flash Professional than to create a purely HTML5 based animation, interface or application. For example, I can very quickly create a photo slide show in Flash and stick it on a web page. The alternative is a bunch of manual Java Scripting nonsense. That sucks. Adobe is beta testing "Muse" which may be able to do the same thing Flash did, but do it in HTML5. But there's big problems. The app is new and not mature. Flash has been around for over a decade and is well integrated into Adobe's suite of applications. Adobe is also getting greedy by wanting designers to pay a monthly bill to use Muse (as opposed to simply buying a license outright).

Until the situation with browser support is solved, HTML5 use will be very limited and Flash will continue to rule many areas of the web. Flash Video will persist as long as the browser makers can't agree on common video codecs to support.

I'm really angry that SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) images still aren't fully supported by most web browsers, particularly mobile phone browsers. SVG doesn't show up in the stock Android mobile phone web browser. SVG is one of the oldest parts of the "HTML5" group of web standards. Very aggravating.

HTML5 has a lot of promise, but with the way things are going it may be several more years before it is fully, properly supported on desktop computers and mobile devices. OTOH, Flash only requires one company to get all the features done. HTML5 requires a huge number of companies and organizations to come to agreement on every little tid bit. They haven't done that.

Adobe may be laughing about this in the end. No one else is making any credible effort at developing a WYSIWYG HTML5 authoring application. I have long seen the HTML5 effort as a way of reducing Adobe's level of power over controlling the web. Adobe, not Apple, is still going to remain the king of graphics after all this is said and done.

JoshLoring

Bobby, building an image gallery in flash is outright retarded. 1: you can't index flash images in any index. 2: no index = no search results 3: no search results = no new clients
Why would you take the easy route of using flash when you could be using jquery? Unless you plan on only using a website for direct referrals the you need pages indexed and fresh content/images. Flash = Zero chance of ranking high in google.
Sorry.. It's just evolutional realty

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'm a graphic designer, not a programmer. I really HATE coding. It sucks.

If I had to do a bunch of hand coding to get anything done in Illustrator or Photoshop I literally would go postal, drive out to California and brutalize some software developers.

Not everything on the web revolves around search engine results either. If every element on a web page had to be made to let Google see it then the whole web would look like a boring spread sheet. Maybe that's what all the programming people really want. Let's go back to monochrome monitors and command line prompts.

Anyway, that's only one point that's being nit picked. Overall it remains an absolute fact that "HTML5" remains a very stupid, scattered mess. With this whole rage of doing away with Flash, web sites on the whole are being forced to be a lot more boring and basic. If you have to manually program and script every little thing that moves on a page then most things will just be boring and static.

boxerbay

ignorant...wanna be web designer...if anything took forever in flash then it was poorly done, people don't hate flash they hate "bad flash" unfortunately there is to much of that around.

wordpress ROFL...

this guy don't even know me and he's calling me ignorant and a wanna be designer? you're an *** <-- another word for DONKEY.

this is what you call design? Do us all a favor and keep your opinions to yourself because you're making your self look like a "donkey"

http://signweb2.com

http://www.digital-graphica.com

Domain name: digital-graphica.com

Administrative Contact:
digital-graphica
Daniel Ciardiello (admin@digital-graphica.com)
+1.9086688668
Fax:
130 Lee Place
South Plainfield, NJ 07080
US

Technical Contact:
digital-graphica
Daniel Ciardiello (admin@digital-graphica.com)
+1.9086688668
Fax:
130 Lee Place
US

Registrant Contact:
digital-graphica
Daniel Ciardiello ()

Fax:
130 Lee Place
US

Name Servers:
ns1499.websitewelcome.com
ns1500.websitewelcome.com

Creation date: 19 Nov 2005 13:52:54
Expiration date: 19 Nov 2012 13:52:00

JoshLoring

^^^^
Haha. A webdesigner that's site shows up blank via iPhone! Wow!

Attachments

• image-949187863.png
    image-949187863.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 132

JoshLoring

Bobby,
I understand from a designers view. Not trying to single flash out. It's just not good. And if your saying sites are boring and simple without flash- your udderly wrong. Look around at some of the best off CSS websites online or HTML5 inspiration and you'll change your mind.
If you think Internet explorer doesn't support html5... Why did microsoft make a page in it? Interesting animations huh? http://www.microsoft.com/office/onenote/

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Like Apple, Microsoft is cooking up non-standard things to make Internet Explorer look like it properly supports HTML5 when it really does not.

http://html5test.com/ is a better indicator of how desktop web browsers and portable devices comply with the HTML5 spec. Internet Explorer 9 gets a pretty dismal score there. Line by line IE fails in so many areas of the HTML5 spec. A great deal of computer users are still messing with Windows XP and likewise using Internet Explorer 8, which has next to nothing in terms of HTML5 support. You have to search around for questionable third party plug-ins just to get a SVG image to display. That's atrocious!

One of the primary uses of Flash was to display vector-based graphics on a web page. Basically if you want to incorporate a lot of nifty SVG imagery into a web page design not many people using Windows XP are going to to see it unless they're using something besides Internet Explorer. The truth is they're not. They're using IE. SVG support is even more spotty on portable devices.

I'd love to rework a web site with all the nifty tricks supported by CSS3, use Web Fonts, SVG and a lot of other things in the HTML5 tool kit. Unfortunately if I do that only users with the latest, greatest devices AND using the right web browser are going to see any of it. Sadly, Flash still has an advantage of working on lots of different computers, especially old computers.

JoshLoring

:this is where I stop wasting my time arguing the uselessness of flash:
Onto html5 and responsive design.... Peace

Joe Diaz

Companies like apple aren't trying to "kill off" flash because html5 is superior. Because right now it isn't. It's still in working draft state, it's buggy, it isn't widely supported yet, the community of developers isn't there (compared to flash) and it's editing/authoring tools aren't there (compared to flash).

Companies like apple are trying to "kill it off" because it's good at what it does and it's competition. Think about it for a second. Flash is widely used through out the web. Adobe just recently added hardware acceleration to flash, a HUGE breakthrough, which essentially makes one of the primary complaints about flash, that it used too much system resources, null. (I always thought that was a silly complaint anyway, since Html5 will use just as many resources if not more.) It has added touchscreen capabilities years ago, another complaint that was false. Search engines are now beginning to index and crawl flash and techniques to make flash SEO friendly have existed for years now. I could go on. If anything flash has always been "evolving" and it was doing it pretty well.

So what happened? Like I was saying... competition. If you can just play your favorite games through your browser on flash, well then, that's one less app you purchased through the app store. Apple wants you to get all that stuff through them. They want exclusivity. They want control. They want to hurt their competition.

Let's take Hulu for example. Have you ever tired watching hulu on your ipad? what does it do. It says: "This video isn't available on the ipad" Then it tells you that you need to get the hulu plus app and signup for hulu plus which is $8 a month.

Sure HTML 5 may catch up to flash as far as features and functionality goes. But when is the question. Some think it wont get to where flash is for another 10 years. It's probably going to take even longer for it's developer community to equal that of flash's today.

So this isn't evolution. This is step back. Evolution on the internet is what normally happens when developers decided to adopt new technology because it is truly better, not because a hardware company is trying to influence web standards to benefit them.

Last edited:

CES020

So Microsoft dropped flash because they want Apple to sell more things in their app store that don't run on PC's? Wow, Apple must be a really powerful company to make Microsoft drop it from their products.

Joe Diaz

So Microsoft "dropped" flash because they want Apple to sell more things in their app store that don't run on PC's? Wow, Apple must be a really powerful company to make Microsoft drop it from their products.
Set the sarcasm aside for a moment and put your thinking cap on.

First of all Microsoft hasn't "dropped" flash. They are releasing a plugin free version of IE. If you use about any other browser including the full version of IE you will still be able to view flash.

But why wouldn't Microsoft follow suit? They have their own app store. I'm sure taking flash down a notch is good for silverlight too.

WildWestDesigns

So Microsoft dropped flash because they want Apple to sell more things in their app store that don't run on PC's? Wow, Apple must be a really powerful company to make Microsoft drop it from their products.

Don't underestimate the influence that Apple has. However, I think Lion just might be their Vista. Came out a little too soon. It seems that I've observed that Apple tries to time their OS releases before Windows and this one was just a little too early.

It also seems that resource allocation isn't the same with Lion as it is with the others. I think even on here weren't there a few people going back to Snow Leopard, if I recall correctly.

And I've heard complaints about the resource management issue from people in the music industry here and that's a big time industry were I am at now.

Still don't underestimate the power that Apple has and that all goes into the mentality that they foster. Which is very very smart thing to do.

CES020

Don't get me wrong, I love flash. Nothing is better for me, than when I go to read a news site and it takes a banner ad and explodes it to take over my entire screen as an advertisement. I love that.

Joe Diaz

Don't get me wrong, I love flash. Nothing is better for me, than when I go to read a news site and it takes a banner ad and explodes it to take over my entire screen as an advertisement. I love that.

That same thing can be accomplished outside of flash and is. Most of the time that is done with javascript not flash. And you would be a fool to assume that IF html5 replaces flash all of that will some how stop.

WildWestDesigns

That same thing can be accomplished outside of flash and is. Most of the time that is done with javascript not flash. And you would be a fool to assume that IF html5 replaces flash all of that will some how stop.

Even if that particular ad was done in Flash, it was done by the creator of that ad and not directly related to it being Flash in of itself with regard to the size of the ad.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
All of the technical things that people hate about Flash will not disappear with HTML5. The same fundamental issues remain.

In terms of performance, SVG and Canvas elements can bog down a computer every bit as bad as Flash. Designers must be careful about what they do in creating those objects.

And, yes, I see A LOT of screen hogging banner ads that aren't Flash at all. Many of them are not in order to hog the screens on iPads and what not.