• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Flatbed Banding on AGFA Titan

Kyle H

I'm using an AGFA Jeti 3020 Titan and having a lot of banding issues. Sometimes it prints great, sometimes the banding is terrible. Tried adjusting several variables, but can't find one that makes a difference. It's very inconsistent. Printheads seem to be healthy after several tests, only a few nozzles out in black, not enough to cause this IMO. Any ideas of what to try would be much appreciated!

Here are the job specs for the attached images:
RIP - Caldera
Res. - 672x1200 Binary
Material - 1/2" Ultraboard White
Passes - 10
Unidirectional
Lamps - 40 leading, 40 trailing
LowVac - 36
Y-Axis Velocity - 175
Y-Axis Accel. Period - 275
Heads were primed and wiped before printing
Substrate cleaned with 70% alcohol before printing

Attachments

• Unknown-7.jpeg
    Unknown-7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 224
  • Unknown-6.jpeg
    Unknown-6.jpeg
    827.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Unknown-5.jpeg
    Unknown-5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 202

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, let's see a test print. Looks like you might need to purge and clean a few times and wipe it down.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Which printheads are those ? How old is the titan? If its anything like our Anapurna, Im seeing what I think might be air in your lines. If your jet test comes out fine and you still get banding, you have air bubbles at the PH's. Not sure what your velocity on the Carriage is....but try in the slowest mode in bidirectional. Not uni....see what happens. If that doesn't work, go thru your procedure for clearing or flushing the ink lines from the printheads of any air. I would not be surprised if you see air bubbles coming out the bleed valves on the front of the carriage.

• Agree
Reactions: S2S

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Purge black with their flush.
Any jets out will cause this if they're in a group especially.
As Wyld Bill stated- it may be air in the lines.
After flushing, purge over and over until you have no bubbles coming out.
This is also necessary after changing filters or any other way you've gotten air into the system.
Last- Change the head.
Bruce
melloimaging.com

Kyle H

Which printheads are those ? How old is the titan? If its anything like our Anapurna, Im seeing what I think might be air in your lines. If your jet test comes out fine and you still get banding, you have air bubbles at the PH's. Not sure what your velocity on the Carriage is....but try in the slowest mode in bidirectional. Not uni....see what happens. If that doesn't work, go thru your procedure for clearing or flushing the ink lines from the printheads of any air. I would not be surprised if you see air bubbles coming out the bleed valves on the front of the carriage.

Carriage Velocity - 1100, Accel. Period - 350
Most recent jet test images attached.
The Agfa is a 2012. Printheads are Ricoh gen 4.
We will try flushing today and see if that helps.

Attachments

• JT C 1-15-21.jpeg
    JT C 1-15-21.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 177
  • JT M 1-15-21.jpeg
    JT M 1-15-21.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 175
  • JT K 1-15-21.jpeg
    JT K 1-15-21.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 167
  • JT Y 1-15-21.jpeg
    JT Y 1-15-21.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 198

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
You're not going to be able to get rid of banding with those nozzle tests. Black is bad. That row of yellow nozzles that is out is definitely killing the gray tones. Also, it looks like your left and right are off.
Make sure you have nozzle replacement on. I have the Gen 4 heads on a 1224 HDC and have a total of about 10 nozzles out with all heads. I also have the Gen 5 heads on a Titan HS and have a max of 10 nozzles out between all colors.

Kyle H

You're not going to be able to get rid of banding with those nozzle tests. Black is bad. That row of yellow nozzles that is out is definitely killing the gray tones. Also, it looks like your left and right are off.
Make sure you have nozzle replacement on. I have the Gen 4 heads on a 1224 HDC and have a total of about 10 nozzles out with all heads. I also have the Gen 5 heads on a Titan HS and have a max of 10 nozzles out between all colors.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of....nozzle replacement is on. Just trying to see If I can improve banding at all without spending a fortune on heads. Looks like I'll be replacing some anyway.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Yeah that's what I was afraid of....nozzle replacement is on. Just trying to see If I can improve banding at all without spending a fortune on heads. Looks like I'll be replacing some anyway.
Yah I'm thinking you're going to need a few heads. At least you have Gen 4 which means you're only replacing the colors you need and they're only about $1,000. On the Gen 5 you usually only need to replace one head but they're joined together and they're $2,000 if you buy them through Digiprint Supplies. Otherwise both those heads are double through AGFA even as an ink user. Double that again if you're not. Good luck!