• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed cutter cnc estimating

MGB_LE

Sanity check, please. I’m estimating a 40mil styrene job, 4”x24” for 90 pieces, let’s say. I can fit 33up on a 48”x96” sheet.

I don’t want to over produce, so let’s say 30 pieces per sheet I will cut out of 3 sheets. Thats 58” per piece so a total of 1,740 inches per sheet. Does my speeds and feeds sheet indicate that at 2,000 ipm my Colex will cut out all 30 pieces is a minute or so?
F03E5C8F-82BC-4CAB-A4AB-8F9780BF90DC.jpeg

Christian @ 2CT Media

Not at all, that is traverse speed. There is also lift, move, etc that eats up time. I also cut our cut speed in half to calculate machine time.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Just looking at your sheet I am curious to see what the edges of your 1/4" acrylic look like going through in 1 pass. And do you have the 1hp or 3hp router?

As for estimating couldn't you just cut 1 piece out and multiply that by how many ever you need? Colex gives you a cut time at end of the job anyway. You could also do a dry run of it, if you know your blade settings and feed rate, just throw a dieline of the job in with nothing on the table, set your Zdown to .5" run it and comeback and see what cut time it was.

MGB_LE

Just looking at your sheet I am curious to see what the edges of your 1/4" acrylic look like going through in 1 pass. And do you have the 1hp or 3hp router?

As for estimating couldn't you just cut 1 piece out and multiply that by how many ever you need? Colex gives you a cut time at end of the job anyway. You could also do a dry run of it, if you know your blade settings and feed rate, just throw a dieline of the job in with nothing on the table, set your Zdown to .5" run it and comeback and see what cut time it was.
We have the 3hp router and acrylic edges on1/4" look clean but we do 2-passes and
IMG_3383.JPG
use media intended for CNC. In some instances we will do as you suggest: Run the tool an inch above the table and see what the time is. In this case, I have about 5 scenarios with varying size and media that I need to quote, so I can't do that exercise for each estimate. I am making the habit of cutting those speeds by 1/3 or 1/2 depending on media. Thanks for your tips.

Last edited:

MGB_LE

Great questions and tips. This piece has rounded corners, so I have a bit of gutter between the pieces, rather that shared walls, which we do use on square cuts lines you mentioned. Colex does not come with a time estimating function. I believe it’s extra cost, so I need to check into that again. Good question about time. Likely down to the hour is fine.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Styrene is a fun material.
If the edges are not all exposed (something in a track) you can always use a drag knife to cut to save time.
This will leave a raised edge but depending on the application it may be acceptable .
Styrene also strips out nicely.
Again depending on the edge quality you are searching for you can leave a thin skin on the bottom of the cut.
Then you can quickly get the sheet off the table to run another one.
You can strip the cut sheet while the machine is cutting the next one.
.04" styrene has several options for cutting depending on the edge you want.
It doesnt really get tricky until you move to .06"+
Common line cutting like JBurton suggested is aslo a good option.
Making sure your bed is clean is also important as styrene is rigid and if debris gets under the edge you will lose vacuum and be wasting materials and run times when it shifts/lifts.
maximizing machine time is the best way to hit numbers.

jobs will many slots and holes and similar dielines requiring a lot of tool movement will always take a while.
For most other shapes with the router you have you can typically do them in 1 pass.
I like quoting things from a standard breakdown of 2, 5 &15 min run times.
Everything in one of those i suggest a similar run time and leave the dry running for more complex shapes.

it is always a good idea to dry run like suggested above when you need to be precise.
This can be3 set to run when you start a meeting, go to lunch, etc.
There is always idle time that can be used to run a test.

Optiscout, which is what the CCC is run by has a module for file prep and estimating.
There are also various 3rd party software options as well.
Listed speeds for cutting and traverse are rarely accurate and one of the reasons i dont supply.
I would rather someone ask me for specific help than give them a false starting point.
The celero 7 has an impressive traverse speed.
I don't thing you'll find a lot of materials that can process that fast.
You also have a lot of variables in the materials.

MGB_LE

Styrene is a fun material.
If the edges are not all exposed (something in a track) you can always use a drag knife to cut to save time.
This will leave a raised edge but depending on the application it may be acceptable .
Styrene also strips out nicely.
Again depending on the edge quality you are searching for you can leave a thin skin on the bottom of the cut.
Then you can quickly get the sheet off the table to run another one.
You can strip the cut sheet while the machine is cutting the next one.
.04" styrene has several options for cutting depending on the edge you want.
It doesnt really get tricky until you move to .06"+
Common line cutting like JBurton suggested is aslo a good option.
Making sure your bed is clean is also important as styrene is rigid and if debris gets under the edge you will lose vacuum and be wasting materials and run times when it shifts/lifts.
maximizing machine time is the best way to hit numbers.

jobs will many slots and holes and similar dielines requiring a lot of tool movement will always take a while.
For most other shapes with the router you have you can typically do them in 1 pass.
I like quoting things from a standard breakdown of 2, 5 &15 min run times.
Everything in one of those i suggest a similar run time and leave the dry running for more complex shapes.

it is always a good idea to dry run like suggested above when you need to be precise.
This can be3 set to run when you start a meeting, go to lunch, etc.
There is always idle time that can be used to run a test.

Optiscout, which is what the CCC is run by has a module for file prep and estimating.
There are also various 3rd party software options as well.
Listed speeds for cutting and traverse are rarely accurate and one of the reasons i dont supply.
I would rather someone ask me for specific help than give them a false starting point.
The celero 7 has an impressive traverse speed.
I don't thing you'll find a lot of materials that can process that fast.
You also have a lot of variables in the materials.
From OptiSCout this morning:
"Dear Lee,

thanks for your request, unfortunately there is no time estimation / calculation for this machine.
The only thing we can offer is alog showing the job times after running the job, but I know that this is not what you are looking for."

BOO.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
From OptiSCout this morning:
"Dear Lee,

thanks for your request, unfortunately there is no time estimation / calculation for this machine.
The only thing we can offer is alog showing the job times after running the job, but I know that this is not what you are looking for."

BOO.
Maybe they discontinued their "OS Timer" and "Prepare" modules.