• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed Cutters

Signscorp

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a flatbed cutter for the shop. My main priority is increasing efficiency. We already have a 40" laser cutter, so it won't add too much to our capabilities.

I'm thinking a Summa Flatbed Cutter. Does anyone have experience with the summa F or another flatbed and can speak to what efficiencies you gained?

Thank you!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We added a Summa F1612 to our shop just over a year ago. There is definitely a learning curve, and some quirks to work around, but we've been mostly happy with the purchase.

Efficiencies gained:
-Through-cutting decals eliminates lots of manual labor (No more kiss-cutting, weeding, and hand-trimming)
-Through-cutting coroplast/sintra signs is super fast and accurate, and again eliminates most manual labor/margin of error
-Routing ACM signs - It allows us to mount full sheets and then cut them all out into individual signs, adding holes, shape cuts etc. We used to pre-cut blanks on sheet cutter, print graphics w/ crop marks, trim into singles, mount each sign individually, trim vinyl on edges, then round corners. **this takes some fine-tuning so router bit doesn't chew up the laminate. Still nailing that one down
-Routing sintra signs - leaves a much cleaner edge and you can notch/v-groove them for bending/forming

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting, but those are the first that come to mind.

Any other specific questions, just ask!

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
We added a Summa F1612 to our shop just over a year ago. There is definitely a learning curve, and some quirks to work around, but we've been mostly happy with the purchase.

Efficiencies gained:
-Through-cutting decals eliminates lots of manual labor (No more kiss-cutting, weeding, and hand-trimming)
-Through-cutting coroplast/sintra signs is super fast and accurate, and again eliminates most manual labor/margin of error
-Routing ACM signs - It allows us to mount full sheets and then cut them all out into individual signs, adding holes, shape cuts etc. We used to pre-cut blanks on sheet cutter, print graphics w/ crop marks, trim into singles, mount each sign individually, trim vinyl on edges, then round corners. **this takes some fine-tuning so router bit doesn't chew up the laminate. Still nailing that one down
-Routing sintra signs - leaves a much cleaner edge and you can notch/v-groove them for bending/forming

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting, but those are the first that come to mind.

For your laminate problem, try using a down cut bit instead of an up cut bit.

As for OP, adding a flatbed cutter adds too much value to put it simply. The money spent will quickly be washed away with money saved in time of cutting everything. Personally I use a Colex Sharpcut and really enjoy it, just another machine to look into. If you do go with Colex be sure to upgrade to the 5hp router, worth every penny.

Signscorp

Efficiencies gained:

Thanks for your reply. Those are great points, and actually the things we're most focused on.

In particular we would save a lot of time routing ACM signs if we could nail down that mounting then trimming process.

Are there any things you can't do that you wish you could? Ie: routing acrylics or other substrates or individually cut letters? And how does your operator find the software? I've heard some mixed reviews on Multicams and other products that are just based on poor user interface etc.

Signscorp

As for OP, adding a flatbed cutter adds too much value to put it simply. The money spent will quickly be washed away with money saved in time of cutting everything. Personally I use a Colex Sharpcut and really enjoy it, just another machine to look into. If you do go with Colex be sure to upgrade to the 5hp router, worth every penny.
How do you like the usability of the Sharpcut? Does your operator have an easy time using the software?

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
How do you like the usability of the Sharpcut? Does your operator have an easy time using the software?
Usability is very straight forward. Super easy to use. I have never used a different CNC machine, but I can honestly say I don't think I would ever go to a different brand.

Like I said everything is super easy and straight forward. The only thing we had a difficulty figuring out was to create what we call break away tabs; they're those few tabs that stay on and cut almost all the way through in select places so that you don't need to tape the small pieces down. But we got it figured out after looking through the manual.

Another good thing about it is that everything except the frame is made right in New Jersey so there is never a wait for a shipment from China or Japan.

And above all their customer service is beyond amazing, a lot of times I can get right through to a tech that can talk you through right away on the phone. Usually don't even need to wait more than 2 hours if all the techs are busy. And have never had to wait more than a business day for someone to call me back, only had to wait once for a call back the next day, but that was only because it was end of day and I was going home.

I would highly suggest Colex, I know when we were setting up for a demo we were in contact with Maureen. I would for definitely suggest going for a demo there!

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a flatbed cutter for the shop. My main priority is increasing efficiency. We already have a 40" laser cutter, so it won't add too much to our capabilities.

I'm thinking a Summa Flatbed Cutter. Does anyone have experience with the summa F or another flatbed and can speak to what efficiencies you gained?

Thank you!
What are the main materials or applications that you are trying to process?

ProColorGraphics

I have had a SummaF for 3 years now. It is one of those tools that you debate if it is worth the cost, but after you get it you wonder how you worked without it!

My only complaint is some software limitations, which are mostly on doing some advanced CNC operations. Which I am told are on the list to be added to future updates, but who knows when that will happen.

evoprinting

This a great conversation. We too are looking at the Summa and Colex. Other machines are out of our budget right now. I've watched the demos for both machines. The quick take-aways I have so far... Summa is more geared toward cut vinyl but can handle light duty rigid work. The Colex is more heavy duty and geared toward rigids and does that work very well. I've only received a Colex estimate from our Ricoh rep. The price I've received is 30% higher than the Summa.

Raum Divarco

This a great conversation. We too are looking at the Summa and Colex. Other machines are out of our budget right now. I've watched the demos for both machines. The quick take-aways I have so far... Summa is more geared toward cut vinyl but can handle light duty rigid work. The Colex is more heavy duty and geared toward rigids and does that work very well. I've only received a Colex estimate from our Ricoh rep. The price I've received is 30% higher than the Summa.
what router configuration were you looking at that the price came out that high?

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Thanks, will give that a go.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks for your reply. Those are great points, and actually the things we're most focused on.

In particular we would save a lot of time routing ACM signs if we could nail down that mounting then trimming process.

Are there any things you can't do that you wish you could? Ie: routing acrylics or other substrates or individually cut letters? And how does your operator find the software? I've heard some mixed reviews on Multicams and other products that are just based on poor user interface etc.

It mostly does everything we need it to do, and the things I can't do are mainly due to user error (me) and not dedicating enough time to test out bits & settings etc.

I've gotten somewhat acceptable edges on 1/4" clear acrylic but nothing I was overly impressed with. I'm still convinced I can get it to cut better but just haven't had the time.

The software is ok but I feel like there are a lot of steps required from loading a file and actually starting to cut. Again, more time invested would yield better results.

We got ours just over a year ago and still have lots to learn. For the price point it's a good piece of equipment and the value is there, but if you're looking for high volume and efficiency it sounds like Zund rules that area.

evoprinting

what router configuration were you looking at that the price came out that high?
This is what is listed...
 Colex SHARPCUT Pro SXC 1732
 5 x 10 bed size
 Conveyor system
 Extra conveyor belt
 Barcode reader
 Colex 3HP Router
 Colex Kiss Cutting Knife
 Colex Coroplast Knife
 Colex Oscilatting Knife
 Colex Compressor
 Colex DFE software

Raum Divarco

It mostly does everything we need it to do, and the things I can't do are mainly due to user error (me) and not dedicating enough time to test out bits & settings etc.

I've gotten somewhat acceptable edges on 1/4" clear acrylic but nothing I was overly impressed with. I'm still convinced I can get it to cut better but just haven't had the time.

The software is ok but I feel like there are a lot of steps required from loading a file and actually starting to cut. Again, more time invested would yield better results.

We got ours just over a year ago and still have lots to learn. For the price point it's a good piece of equipment and the value is there, but if you're looking for high volume and efficiency it sounds like Zund rules that area.
Are your pieces highly detailed? Which bit do u use?

Trucks

SignMaster.com
Cans speak for a Summa cutter...but we have been using Colex cutters for the last 11 years. We have had a total of 4 over the years and I can vouch for reliability and exceptional service. The TCO is very low and they have a unique tool for cutting coroplast that is the best in the industry! My suggestion...give Colex a look before you commit to Summa.

Best of luck.
-T

DaveD

Do you have the conveyor table? I like the option but not sure of the $20K additional coast. Any thoughts on that?