• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed Print limits?

Mosh

Sometimes the way one sends a file isn't always opened in the same manner due to some stoopid glitch. Can't be explained, but it happens.

This was my point, not dogging you, thus the reason for a PDF proof....

Letterbox Mike

as i mentioned before it is possible to hit what you're exactly wanting, but it is going to require more passes on a flatbed. Typically cheap yard signs are done on the fastest setting, and sold for next to nothing. If you want it to be more detailed you should request production mode over billboard mode. HQ mode would be overkill.

but what you see there is pretty typical for work of this nature.

Hey Adam, I'll respectfully disagree... I could run that job in billboard mode all day long and it'll look correct (it may not look amazing compared to a higher pass count, but billboard mode wouldn't ignore shades of gray like that). I really don't think this is a print speed issue. To me it looks like the profile took everything above say 80% black and converted it to 100% black. There's not a ton of contrast in the roof image, it's almost like the RIP couldn't differentiate between similar darker shades of gray. I'm sure there's a technical term for this, I've not encountered it so I'm not sure, but this definitely looks like a profile problem.

Their QC should have caught that, it's unfortunate they didn't but print mistakes can and do slip through the fingers of even the best of us, hopefully they will step up to the plate and make it right for you, assuming their profiles allow them to reprint it correctly.

HulkSmash

Hey Adam, I'll respectfully disagree... I could run that job in billboard mode all day long and it'll look correct (it may not look amazing compared to a higher pass count, but billboard mode wouldn't ignore shades of gray like that). I really don't think this is a print speed issue. To me it looks like the profile took everything above say 80% black and converted it to 100% black. There's not a ton of contrast in the roof image, it's almost like the RIP couldn't differentiate between similar darker shades of gray. I'm sure there's a technical term for this, I've not encountered it so I'm not sure, but this definitely looks like a profile problem.

Their QC should have caught that, it's unfortunate they didn't but print mistakes can and do slip through the fingers of even the best of us, hopefully they will step up to the plate and make it right for you, assuming their profiles allow them to reprint it correctly.

I guess it depends on the printer. HPs billboard mode is .... well not amazing.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I know on our QS we can print in a "light smoothing" and the print itself is fine but has a heavy and quite visible lawnmower effect that we try to stay away from at all times. Banding due to head dropout is not an issue in this mode and doesn't effect the overall image quality.

Here are both modes of printing.
In the light smoothing test, we have some tire tracking or lawnmower effect going on. The roof is very well defined in the print. The black outline is BLACK and the roof is gray toned.
The heavy smoothing is a bit better with the tire tracking effectively gone with same overall image quality....looks good!

Attachments

• Light Smoothing Test.jpg
    Light Smoothing Test.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Heavy Smoothing Test.jpg
    Heavy Smoothing Test.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 76

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Well there you have it folks. It wasn't a problem with my file type or artwork. And considering the other thread on that particular producer and my experience with them,
It may be wise not to use them if I expect anything other than a very fast turn around.
Yes they are just yard signs. No I don't want them to reprint it because my customer will probably accept them.
I just wanted the communities input on print quality standards of direct flatbed prints and what I should and should not expect.
Now I know.

Some of us have learned something from this thread given the results Bill at Wyld GFI was so kind to demonstrate for us.
Thank you ALL for your input.

Letterbox Mike

I guess it depends on the printer. HPs billboard mode is .... well not amazing.

Haha good point!

And kudos to Bill! That'll show them, if you can get a low-res internet upload to print right there's definitely no excuse for the other vendor in question to have this issue. Hopefully they fix it for you Kentucky.