• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 10 - How to Split a graphic in half?

jmmccann

I haven't dug really deep into this software package yet. But i was hoping someone would have an easy answer for this. Is there a simple way to take a large graphic and split it into two (or more) pieces? I have large wall murals that I have to ship and they are just too darn expensive to ship anywhere outside the USA. This would help a lot. Any suggestions? I could just manually draw a line through the middle, but I was wondering if there would be a better way within the software.

Thanks,

Jeff.

jmmccann

Hey, Thanks! That helped! I have a large cutter so I haven't really gotten into paneling much. So if I set this up to cut my graphic in 2 panels does it automatically cut the intersecting line or do I have to select it to do the weed border as well?

thewvsignguy

It will automatically cut the split line and a weed border as well. You can set the overlap too, I think the default is .125". Here is another tip, right click on one of the panels so they both don't cut at the same time. You can do as many panels as the width of your material allows.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I haven't dug really deep into this software package yet. But i was hoping someone would have an easy answer for this. Is there a simple way to take a large graphic and split it into two (or more) pieces?...

'Graphic' is an adjective, as in "It was a graphic demonstration."

'Image' is a noun, as in "How do I cut an image in half."

I full well realize that the most of those on this sand pile use the word 'graphic' when they mean 'image' but enough. Language is a poor enough thing without people making adjectives into nouns and nouns into verbs.

OlsonSigns601

'Graphic' is an adjective, as in "It was a graphic demonstration."

'Image' is a noun, as in "How do I cut an image in half."

I full well realize that the most of those on this sand pile use the word 'graphic' when they mean 'image' but enough. Language is a poor enough thing without people making adjectives into nouns and nouns into verbs.

I agree however....

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+graphic

This is why I avoid trying to correct anyone now a days, no matter how wrong they are in some way or some website will tell them they are right.

visual800

who the hell cares as long as we all knew what he was talking about. Christ can we leave the school lessons at home?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
So in the term "car graphics" graphics is an adjective? Please explain..

'Graphics' is a noun, 'graphic' is an adjective.

In your example 'car' is an adjective and 'graphics' is a noun.

There are many example of this plural transformation. 'Kudos' for instance, you give kudos, you cannot give a 'kudo'. A horse has 'withers', no horse has a 'wither'. You can have 'dynamics' but you cannot have a 'dynamic' although this word is used improperly as a noun far more than 'graphic'.

As a note to all of the dictionary aficionados whipping out their favorite edition. A dictionary is descriptive, not definitive. All a dictionary does is describe usage known to the editors at the time of publishing. The only word a dictionary is capable of defining is 'dictionary'.

Arguing from a dictionary is committing the fallacy of "Argumentum ad Lexicon", which isn't a formal fallacy but damn well out to be.

Haakon

Ok, but to put it short and consise, if you have before you a set of vinyl graphics, what is the correct term to describe a singular piece of it then? If you wanted to split that piece in half and should describe what you wanted to do?

J Hill Designs

I would put 'image' as non-tangible (see this image on my screen?)
and 'graphic' as tangible (I only have one graphic in stock from that set)

Border

I like turdles...
Just thought I would add another post as meaningful and helpful as the last half dozen or so.

:rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would think in the software would be the safest place to do it, so it remains consistent.

I'm sure there are words in everyone's industry which take poetic license for a great number of things. As long as we understand it and it's spelled halfway near right, I don't see a problem. I agree, it would be nice if we used the glossary here, so we were all on the same page about terms, but who's keeping score in that department ??

I have deeper feelings about punctuation and spelling then nouns or adjectives to dangling participles or worse yet..... their phrases.

Last edited: