• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 22 vs Onyx 22

Mata

Hi all

I have Onyx 21 but I am getting fed up. Don't get me wrong it prints and cuts fine but it slows me down in other areas so I am trying to find a better solution.

I'd like to compare Onyx and Flexi and see if either one is better for me. I am hoping someone can tell me that Onyx can do exactly this or by better option would be to switch to Flexi.

I run and Epson S60600 and a Graphic FC9000.

Issues
• To cut a simple vinyl colour, I need to use Illustrator and Cutting Master 4, Onyx will not cut from a PDF unless I print it first
• When I am limited on space and need to contour cut, Onyx seems to add the registration marks wider than the artwork meaning it's too wide for the media. If I do this manually using the Illustrator plugin, I can confine the registration marks to fir within the media width.
• Sometimes there seems soo much waste, I know Onyx do an add on that will check the shape of the artwork and compact it all meaning there is very little waste but I have to pay extra. I believe Flexi has this built in. Is this feature worth it?
• I mainly use a Mac for design, I then send my print files over to Onyx on my windows machine to print, If I then decide to cut from my Mac and the illustrator plugin to the FC9000, the IP address fails because Onyx keeps this open. If I close Onyx the IP for the FC9000 will work.

Wants
• I want to be able to send print ready PDF's from my Mac to the Windows machine and rip the files ready for print without me having to do anything, just like the Hot Folders in Onyx.
• I'd like to do the same with cut ready PDF's just cut vinyl graphics
• I want to be able to print nice crisp prints with great colours (Onyx does this great)
• I want to be able to have a 2 or 3 layer cut vinyl graphic and the software separate the colours and add marks for lining them up without me doing anything.

I'm sure there is other stuff but I can't think of them right now.

I'm thinking Flexi is my best option but will it do what I want

FrankW

If you want to print large format jobs and cut vinyl jobs in one application, Flexi is the choice. In addition, with FlexiDesigner for Mac you can setup a client for your Windows Production Manager (no direct print & cut from Mac, a Windows PM is needed). Cutting separate colors and so on are standard features.

If Flexi prints nice colours depends on the profiles available for your printer (if you dont create them yourself). Flexi color management features are often underestimated, but swatchbook and color replacement features are better in Onyx.

At the Flexi-Website, you can download a 7-day-demo, or subscribe for single months for testing.

garyroy

I've been doing some comparisons myself recently. On YouTube there are some incredible videos that show Flexi features.
Take a look at the ones on variable data and Auto Trace. For $800/year, Flexi seems like a very powerful design/RIP.
The free trial will tell you a lot of what you need to know.

rjssigns

No love for Onyx here. And yes I used to run it and learned to dislike it, a lot.
Flexi for day to day knock it out signage and wraps. Was using Adobe for the "heavy lifting" projects then sending to Flexi.
Now the heavy lifting is being done(for the most part) by Affinity Designer and Photo. Still getting used to the interface.

Mata

No love for Onyx here. And yes I used to run it and learned to dislike it, a lot.
Flexi for day to day knock it out signage and wraps. Was using Adobe for the "heavy lifting" projects then sending to Flexi.
Now the heavy lifting is being done(for the most part) by Affinity Designer and Photo. Still getting used to the interface.
I too have gone to Affinity. I love it but still have Adobe Illustrator on the side for the moment although all other Adobe apps have been dropped.

I can't cut vinyl from it like I do Illustrator as there is no option for a plugin and I use the shape builder tool a lot in Illustrator. I'll look into Flexi little more but it still sounds like the way to go

rjssigns

I too have gone to Affinity. I love it but still have Adobe Illustrator on the side for the moment although all other Adobe apps have been dropped.

I can't cut vinyl from it like I do Illustrator as there is no option for a plugin and I use the shape builder tool a lot in Illustrator. I'll look into Flexi little more but it still sounds like the way to go
Like others have said get a demo. Then run the heck out of it. BTW I don't have a Flexi subscription I bought mine outright when I purchased my last printer.
In case something goes sideways with my Flexi Pro I am on the lookout for a standalone RIP that can contour cut. That combined with Affinity would be all I need.

Dale D

Flexi 19 crashed with large vectors and stunk to put it nicely. Since the 21 release, Flexi went to a 64 bit that now can handle large wrap vector files .
Flexi has its quirks once in a while.I run 2 Summa cutters with Flexi telling 1 of them the cut pressures. Since the last update, Every time I restart Flexi it forgets the settings even if I save them.
Support is decent with Teamviewer as long as it's during working hours. Sai doesnt do 24hr support.
I had considered SignLab but had not took time to really work with it.

Evan Gillette

I would recommend flexi for your setup for sure. We are a long time flexi shop (1 perpetual flexi 12 sign and print and 2 seats of flexi designer 22). We run our epson s40600 and two graphtecs daily using Flexi, it is a workhorse and very very efficient for bread and butter sign shop work. That being said, it is overpriced and hasn't had any major improvements or development in way too long, that's my personal opinion. It feels like you are running windows xp. All the recent "updates" and features added are just dressing it up to feel more modern and look like others. They have also added external services and app type things to add appeal, none of them are life changing nor do I find them particularly useful. We recently needed to buy onyx thrive to run a new fancy printer in the shop and I can't imagine how frustrated I would be trying to use that day to day with a design/print/cut workflow for typical signage and wraps. I have used and am fairly proficient with a large variety of software including adobe affinity flexi enroute vectric and several cad and 3d design programs, but not very many dedicated rips. These would be my picks with my experience:
Cut Vinyl: Flexi
Print and cut: Flexi (if printer is supported)
Production style print: onyx thrive
Route: Vectric or flexi/enroute depending on complexity
Route ada signs: flexi
3d carving: vectric
Sign Design and mockup/proofing: Flexi
Vector art design (complex): Illustrator or affinity designer
Raster artwork: Photoshop or affinity photo

WildWestDesigns

Depending on if your cutter can handle RAW HPGL or not, could just setup a "printer" that is Raw HPGL and "print"/cut directly that way. Worth a try anyway. At least I have had success with my cutters and doing this.

To the OP:

Since you are on Mac for most everything else, do have Shiraz and Caldera for that platform as well.