• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 8.6 not connecting with server

WildWestDesigns

I keep hearing "they can't support old software forever." I agree, but there's a big difference between supporting (updating, troubleshooting, etc.) a software, and SWITCHING IT OFF.

To me, if one is going for the subscription, cloud base, or relying on a remote server somewhere, you run this risk.

You have to remember, none of us own this software. We don't have the source code to this specific software. It is still a license, they still own and can do what they want (I'm sure within some reason, but who is going to be able to handle that fight to find out if this situation is reasonable or not?).

I can't really expect someone to spending money/time/effort (how much of a cost this is, depends on how they handle it on their end) in keeping servers running for software that has been past it's prime.

Are there any other examples we have of this exact scenario playing out with any other Sofware companies? Am missing some facts? Or am I way off-base here?

Adobe had issue with their CS2 servers and they took them offline. Now, they did offer (what they intended for anyway) the legit owners of CS2 that were still using them, the option to get a version of what they had that didn't require connecting to servers. That turned out to be a fiasco as a lot of people thought that that meant Adobe was giving away a version to everyone, regardless if they had a legit licensed copy. I doubt that they would do it again. They may, but after that, I doubt it.

Of course, running legacy software, you might be SOL due to upgrading computers/OS etc. May be able to get away with a VM or emulation or maybe a compatibility layer may work (there is actually an open compatibility layer for Windows to give 64 bit Windows the ability to use 9x era software), but still, that does require effort (and I do love my VMs).

Rodan68

You made it around 5 months longer than me. They offered me a $600 upgrade to v12 or $50 / month subscription with two months free. I ended up taking the subscription. Until I find a better solution for print and cut jobs I'll keep it. It sucks though because there's not much difference between 8.6 and 12 in my opinion.

Techman

SignLAb has a competitive upgrade to their newest version.
You can get signlab 10 for 750.. Complete. With dongle.. No subscription.

WildWestDesigns

SignLAb has a competitive upgrade to their newest version.
You can get signlab 10 for 750.. Complete. With dongle.. No subscription.

The dongle still puts one in the same situation as the server crapping out. Once the dongle craps out, if it's legacy, upgrade time.

While I do prefer dongles to online activation controls (with the exception of my open source embroidery tools, the digitizing software that I've used over a lot of yrs have all had dongles attached to the software and these are much more expensive programs, if one craps out (or damaged or stolen) and if it's still within support, that's $300) and having to have production rigs on the WAN, the dongle is still bottom line the same type of constriction (or control) as the server bound software.

In some ways, I understand why the changed has happened and I don't see it going away in the commercial setting, but dongles still have their limitations like the servers.

mikestickers

Chief, Cook and Dish Washer!
I read a similar post a few months back. Seeing if this happened to anyone else. But I went to use my Flexi 8.6 on Tuesday and it would not load stating it could not connect to Flexi network. I have a softkey with no dongle needed. I called Flexi on Wednesday as it was still giving me issues. They stated they no longer support 8.6 over the phone only through email. So I sent an email out wednesday and got a response today. They are stating the server went down over the weekend and they are not sure if it will be back up. They are bullying me into upgrading at $50/month or $1700 to upgrade. I told them I have no reason to upgrade as 8.6 works with my printer and cutter I currently have and have no use for the newer version. Again they insist I upgrade and basically are saying there is nothing they can do unless I upgrade. Anyone else run into this problem and solve it without upgrading? I cant even run my vinyl cutter. Upsurd for a program I spent $4000 for

Did you ever figure out how to get around it? Just yesterday I got the window "no internet connection" I just talked to Sai Corp and they basically said TO BAD! Up grade! we are not fixing the problem.

jimdtg

Did you ever figure out how to get around it? Just yesterday I got the window "no internet connection" I just talked to Sai Corp and they basically said TO BAD! Up grade! we are not fixing the problem.

SAi stopped their license server long time ago so almost old versions can't connect to LS.

mikestickers

Chief, Cook and Dish Washer!
Sorry to hear this.

Then send the Flexi 8.6 users a patch to stop the license checking for internet connection.
OK, fine they don’t want to support 8.6 fine I get it, so why add a popup window to drive you crazy I asked. They said, well we can give me a free 3 day trial of version 12…..WhoHoo three day trial….
I use outdated Microsoft and Adobe programs and don’t get aggravating popup windows.

MARIE LAFOLLETTE

Nature Coast Adventurer Discover Citrus County
This why people pirate sign programs . I am sure Signs101 accepts no advertisement from Sai Flexi due to their unwillingness to back their products ?

WildWestDesigns

This why people pirate sign programs . I am sure Signs101 accepts no advertisement from Sai Flexi due to their unwillingness to back their products ?

It's a vicious cycle. People pirate programs, the software vendors come up with with ways to control their product so they don't lose income. The plus side for them is that it also adds a passive aggressive way to keep people upgrading and keeping a revenue stream going. Which gives people an even better rational (in their mind) to resort to theft.

People have a choice to chose a different product, upgrade or to pirate the product. I don't think well of going the pirated route.

Just out of curiosity, how long do people think that a product should be supported? I'm just curious. I've got programs from the Win 3.1 era, should those still be supported?

MARIE LAFOLLETTE

You buy a program and you install it you have it in your computer for ever . Now Sai Flexi is back dooring a fee . Basically still selling product at a profit and not supporting all the profit being made to build their company . Sounds like a class action lawsuit

MARIE LAFOLLETTE

Another thing is we bought the program how does Sai Flexi get into your computer ? We never gave them access to the program we bought out right . WTF are we talking about . How does the software expire that is not being accessed by the internet ?
Cars expire ?
Houses expire ?
So my house will expire because I have owned it to long ?

MARIE LAFOLLETTE

There is nothing to support when you buy an actual program . So when did your car dealer come to you and say your car is to old and you need an update . This why Flexi sign is fueling the Punk PIracy versions on sign software . So Basically what you are saying give in to corporate screwing bend over and take it . Or are you saying pirate that software all night long .?

MARIE LAFOLLETTE

We are still running Signlab on a windows 95 machine. Break path do stuff Flexi cannot even do . In this day and age how much is it to transfer to new server sounds like a Corporate Bailout and someone wants another house in the bahamas . If there is any SAI FLEXI SOFTWARE person on this site to speak up ?

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

You buy a program and you install it you have it in your computer for ever .

You license a program. You don't buy it. No transfer of ownership happens. Zero.

That's a key thing that most don't get.

Now Sai Flexi is back dooring a fee . Basically still selling product at a profit and not supporting all the profit being made to build their company . Sounds like a class action lawsuit

The version that you have a problem with is a legacy version. It's not the current version. If this was the current version and doing this, I can somewhat see your point. However, this is a legacy version.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Corel doing the same thing with hocking their latest version when people would start up their DRAW program when it had an internet connection?

Another thing is we bought the program how does Sai Flexi get into your computer ? We never gave them access to the program we bought out right .

Again, you licensed it. You didn't buy it. You gave Flexi the ability to intertwine with your computer when you installed their product. Welcome to the wonders of closed source programs.

I have what MS does with their Win 10 version far worse then this. Especially considering the implications of an OS versus just a program.

WTF are we talking about . How does the software expire that is not being accessed by the internet ?

Right off hand, they could use the clock that's on your system. That's how those 10 day trials etc expire even without access to the internet.

If your program doesn't need an internet connection and doesn't have one (which any production computer shouldn't have an internet connection period), then no, it shouldn't expire in one sense. It will still have an EOL, either due to support issues (remember we are talking about legacy software here) or you need a new computer with newer hardware/OS that the legacy program can't run on etc. There is a finite life span on everything.

Cars expire ?
Houses expire ?
So my house will expire because I have owned it to long ?

Not due to the length of ownership, just by age. Things wear out. You have to buy for things yourself to get the up to snuff.

In terms of legacy software, you are either going to have to keep old computers around running said software or (and my personal choice) VM it on current hardware. However, don't expect any type of support on VMing even if the software wasn't legacy (which what we are talking about is) as most software vendors do not support their software in a virtualized environment, which I can understand.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

There is nothing to support when you buy an actual program . So when did your car dealer come to you and say your car is to old and you need an update . This why Flexi sign is fueling the Punk PIracy versions on sign software

Ford will here. Any "classic" vehicle, they won't service. Won't be able to get the parts for it. They won't say upgrade, they might droll over it, but they won't help you out.

So Basically what you are saying give in to corporate screwing bend over and take it . Or are you saying pirate that software all night long .?

False dilemma.

Or, how about this, go with a competitors product. Wow, what a novel idea.

I don't need RIP software, that's not what what I need for my business.

I did not like the route that MS was going with their latest OS and I did not like what Adobe was doing with their software.

Did I get cracked versions of said OS and software? No, I found alternatives. Now the range of alternatives may not be as easy to come by for some people, it might be one evil for another, but my word, what does it have to be either take a screwing or resort to theft?

MARIE LAFOLLETTE

""Or, how about this, go with a competitors product. Wow, what a novel idea. """ WildWestDesigns >>>>>>>>>>>>> Is the competitor giving me a free version to replace the 5 k I spent . Pull one one or both of those thumbs genius.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Is the competitor giving me a free version to replace the 5 k I spent . Pull one one or both of those thumbs genius.

They may let you trade in your old competitor product, but why would you expect them to give you a freebie?

You are using this in a business endeavor to make money. Cost of doing business.

However, the point that I was trying to make is that that is another option compared to the false dilemma colorful 2 options that you listed before.

As far as price, in my world, full versions of software (without playing the trade in, trade up game) go for $15k. So, you are still doing fairly well.

If I go to office max and buy a font cd how many times do I pay ?

Ownership, still isn't being passed on to you when you buy the Font CD of the fonts on that CD. In other words, you don't have the legal right to sell the digital TTF/OTFs that are on that CD. If you don't have that legal right, you don't own them. You can still do that, just the legality would be in question. You can sell the CD, but you have to remove the fonts from your computer, in most instances, some places may be different.

Some may even restrict how many computers you can have them on. I do believe LHF are that way.

Not all are that way, different EULAs for different products, but if you are dealing with a EULA, you are buying a license, not ownership.