• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi, LXI....what is the difference?

What are the major differences between FlexiSign and Vinyl Express' VE LXI software? Any reason I should upgrade? I just mainly do vinyl signs, no digital imaging or large format.

VinylCraft

There isn't any besides the name of the Program. LXI Vinyl Express is a sister software for Flexi. LXI is a package sold by Signwarehouse for there machines.

Compilla

VE LXI has CUT/PLOT Only

FLEXI has Cut/Plot and Rip/Print (Raster Image Procesor for digital printing)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Compilla said:
VE LXI has CUT/PLOT Only

Flexi Pro is the only Flexi version with RIP/Print. You'll find that there are several versions of both Flexi and LXI.

Vinyl Express LXI is a private label version of Flexi which has most but not all of the features of the comparable Flexi version. I have been told but do not know for a fact that there is a lag time in new versions so if you upgrade to Flexi, you will be getting the latest versions.

Barry

The biggest difference is with Flexi you get support from the makers of Flexi. With LXI you get support from Signwarehouse.

gcljlamb

Or the lack thereof.

WHO SAID THAT? Did I say that? No, surely not.:Big Laugh

Truth be told, their "support" leaves ALOT to be desired. The company has it's strengths but support is not one of them. That's my experience, anyway.

George

Steve C.

Support from Flexi, in my experience, is much worse than SW. Flexi support also only last 90 days while SW give at least 1yr. It's only My Experience, but Flexi's Tecs seem Smug and Condesending while SW Tecs are frinedly and will stay on the line with you as long as is needed. Though they may not have all the answers, I haven't found any Tec Support that does.

NullWolf

Mini-rant

Life-time tech for SW software / hardware...

SW Tech
There are actually 3 tech departments in SW.
1. Cutter Techs (aka anything that doesn't have to do with Engravers or Printers).
2. Color Techs (Printer Techs, if you've purchased a large format printer from SW, chances are you've had one come out to setup the machine).
3. "Laser" Techs (Mainly deal with Laser Engravers, 1 specialized tech trained to deal with rotary engravers).

Most people know of SW Tech because they've talked to a Cutter Tech. On a good day, when noone's missing from work etc, there are 5 on the phones. (This is changing soon, as 1 will be shifting over to Color Tech, and another will be leaving the company within the next few months). There is also a dispatcher, and one of the 5 techs acts as dispatcher in their absence. So, at any one time, there are between 3-5 techs actually on the phones. Now, take that during the week, there is between 100-200 calls per day, everything from "I just got my machine, help me hook it up..." to "I need a call, NOW!" to "...." <- message without anything but Name / Phone #
Most of the calls are How-to's. Cutter Techs aren't SUPPOSED to do How-to's. They're to point customers to the tutorials on the website, or advise them to check some of the Signmaker's Forums. Most advise to check out Signs101. Now, somtimes they DO help with a How-to, especially if its something quick, or something that if they're taught how to do it, they won't call about it again... Auto-trace etc... But, there are customers who will call back week after week about the exact same thing they asked about the week before (or the day before) asking how to do it again.
Most of the cutter tech's time is taken by someone calling asking if there is a problem with a certain kind of vinyl... which they don't know about, which is why SW also has a Customer Service department, (on a side note, CS is mostly made up of Supply Sales people, so they know exactly what problems are currently happening with material etc...)
And unfortunately, because of all the people that SW sells to via eBay etc, there are alot of people calling that have absolutely no idea what they've gotten themselves into as far as a learning curve. They expect to be able to produce sellable products immediately without any experience using this type of equipment / software. And guess who they call when they can't...

Sorry for the mini-rant, but having worked Tech for a couple of different companies, I feel sorry for any Tech Support that isn't properly staffed, and is underpayed.

If y'all want, I can dig up some specs on the actual differences...

And Fred, you are right, Flexi is currently at 7.6 whereas LXI is current at 7.5. It takes some time for the changes to be filtered to LXI.

I can neither confirm nor deny any affiliations...
(aka I don't know that I'm allowed to post here while at work...) :tongue:

PMG

Compilla said:
VE LXI has CUT/PLOT Only

Im my LXI software,,in the programs folder,,i have a rip program!!!! i dont use it because i dont print!!!! i use LXI MASTER PLUS 7.5!!!

Compilla

Pro-Motion Graphix
user_offline.gif
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_36446", true); </SCRIPT>
High Schooler

If you open VE LXI under the File menu can do you have the RIP/Print Icon ?
Ding....

PMG

Compilla said:
Pro-Motion Graphix
user_offline.gif
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_36446", true); </SCRIPT>
High Schooler

If you open VE LXI under the File menu can do you have the RIP/Print Icon ?
Ding....

No it dont,,and the application wont open,,,the app name is TIFF/RIPP,ive never tryed to open it before,,like i said im not a printer,i was just looking thrue all the files in the program!!!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It looks to me like VE-LXi offers an equivalent for FlexiLetter (basic), FlexiSign and FlexiExpert. The SignWarehouse website does not list a product equivalent to FlexiSign Pro which is the only one with the Print/RIP feature enabled.

Color Dude

It sounds like to me that NullWOLF is a employee of SW....Nobody knows that much information about the techs at SW unless he works there.

I can guarantee that he works at SW in the tech department or somewhere close to that dept. I am not only a user here but I am a employee of SW myself, and I bet I know who it is too....

He should really find another forum to be ranting in other than this one:cool1:

Steve C.

Color Dude said:
It sounds like to me that NullWOLF is a employee of SW....Nobody knows that much information about the techs at SW unless he works there.

I can guarantee that he works at SW in the tech department or somewhere close to that dept. I am not only a user here but I am a employee of SW myself, and I bet I know who it is too....

He should really find another forum to be ranting in other than this one:cool1:

I thought it was obvious that he worked there or has at one time, and he/she is from Potsborough, about 8 miles from SW. And why not this forum? Seems like as good a place as any.

dynawg

I have LXi Master Plus.

I do think it has Print/RIP. At least the help documents do speak of it. Not having a wide format printer I can't speak for how it works.

Bob P.

NullWolf

P.S.
The manual's not edited very well...
It talks about Rip / Print in the Production Manager, but those features were removed from the LXI line of software.

Yaont2

I am using LXi master + and it does everything I need it to as far as designing and cutting vinyl. I have a friend that is using Flexi Pro 7.0 and they will open the other programs perfectly even though they have different file extensions. The commands between the programs are the same, from what I have seen and used. I have had no problems from my experience using the customer support at SW (the one time I needed it). From what I have seen, when I need to upgrade I'm gunna save a little money and go with LXi software.