• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi not seeing printer or cutter since internet upgrade

Jb1983

I just upgraded our internet to a faster service (same provider) they gave me a new modem to install but now i cant send any jobs from flexi to my hp latex 315 printer or cutter.

I get the error " cannot open port"

Old Timer

In production manager, right click on printer to change port. make sure the IP address matches printer and PM. sometimes as in my case you may have to delete printer and cutter and reload

Jb1983

Thanks Old Timer, that worked like a charm for my printer however it doesnt work for my cutter, i even deleted it and reloaded it, when it searches for it finds my old IP, i even manually entered the same ip and port as my printer and it still didnt work. only way i can make it run is by the usb option now. Which i guess isnt entirely bad but id rather have it linked to the internet for updates i would think?

FrankW

Check the IP-Adresses. Could be that the new modem uses a different IP adress range for DHCP than your old one, so that your printer and cutter - mostly configured with fixed IP‘s - are not in the same subnet with your PC anymore. Check the IP-Adress of your PC (for example using the status of the network adaptor or start „ipconfig“), and then set the IP-adress of your printer and cutter to the same subnet (the first 3 numbers should match). Then modify the port settings in Flexi.

Or set your modem to the old DHCP adress range.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
frank,
this was my first thought
cable companies are notorious for srnding out young idiots eith no conception there might be an existing network to be preserved

from a command prompt, type ipconfig and the first 9 digits of the ip must be the same for all devices. typically your range will be 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx
your devices can not span the 2 ranges, so, in theory the cutter will probably need to be changed

you can download advanced ip scanner, install the program and set the range to scan
192.168.0.1 - 192-168-1-254. start scsn and give it 5-10 minutes to finish

of course if your network has a different range you will have to scan THAT RANGE but these 2 are the most common

you have not said what plotter you have, so we cannot offer advice yet on how to reconfigure

signage

Thanks Old Timer, that worked like a charm for my printer however it doesnt work for my cutter, i even deleted it and reloaded it, when it searches for it finds my old IP, i even manually entered the same ip and port as my printer and it still didnt work. only way i can make it run is by the usb option now. Which i guess isnt entirely bad but id rather have it linked to the internet for updates i would think?

This right here can give you headaches when thing update automatically and break something! Only updating manually is the best way to keep from unknown updates from breaking things!JM02c

Jb1983

frank,
this was my first thought
cable companies are notorious for srnding out young idiots eith no conception there might be an existing network to be preserved

from a command prompt, type ipconfig and the first 9 digits of the ip must be the same for all devices. typically your range will be 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx
your devices can not span the 2 ranges, so, in theory the cutter will probably need to be changed

you can download advanced ip scanner, install the program and set the range to scan
192.168.0.1 - 192-168-1-254. start scsn and give it 5-10 minutes to finish

of course if your network has a different range you will have to scan THAT RANGE but these 2 are the most common

you have not said what plotter you have, so we cannot offer advice yet on how to reconfigure

Its an HP Latex 315 cutter, my new modem did have a new IP, which is a strange one 10.0.0.221
i am not sure how i can change the ip within the cutters menu? i can change it within flexi menu but that does not work.
The printer was much easier to change the ip from the printers menu, and then flexis.

Jb1983

This right here can give you headaches when thing update automatically and break something! Only updating manually is the best way to keep from unknown updates from breaking things!JM02c
agreed, but im pretty sure at least in the past my machines have asked permission to update and not just done it automatically.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
agreed, but im pretty sure at least in the past my machines have asked permission to update and not just done it automatically.

the cable company did this to you.
you are setup as though you are running a seperate router. you should have a 192.168.1.xxx and a 10.0.0.xxx but the second one should be hidden from you(kind of lie a highway exit ramp.

if you pm me we can figure out if it is easier to reconfigure the modem (might disconnect other devices.)

is this your office, is plotter and cutter part of home business?
my only point is we have 24 devices on the office network (i use print servers on everthing)
and probably 37 devices at home. lets dothis in the least number of steps, not open a can of worms

it's probably easier to reconfigure the plotter to the new subnet, but not if you spend 2 weeks with family members saying "why doesn't this work any more?"

i will be happy to work with you. pm me & i will send my cell number
let me know what time, todau, sunday or Monday works for you
allow like an hour, in case things don't go our way & what is your plotter model?

you can call cable company tech support and ask for help, but that is a crap shoot. if cable companies understood the importance of preserving existing devices on a network, people like me wouldn't have a business.

WildWestDesigns

it's probably easier to reconfigure the plotter to the new subnet, but not if you spend 2 weeks with family members saying "why doesn't this work any more?"

This is where having devices such as this on their own isolated LAN is far better then having everything mingled together.

While there are pros to having everything connected to a WAN (updates are a double edged sword for these devices, but they are needed in some ways, unfortunately they tend to come with extra fluff that isn't necessary), that is the biggest headache that there is. Home based, brick/mortar based (ironically both can still be brick/mortar) doesn't matter. The trials and tribulations can very much be the same. I would speculate that if it's home based as well, I wouldn't expect the IP to actually even first off come across many people that need to have preserved settings at all, much less even be on their radar of things to do. Unless one has a business service with them, then maybe I would expect a little bit more from them. This would be more true with those that run a traditional business away from the home and would more then likely have the business IP service. If one doesn't have a business orientated IP service, then I wouldn't expect more then from a home orientated IP service.

you can call cable company tech support and ask for help, but that is a crap shoot. if cable companies understood the importance of preserving existing devices on a network, people like me wouldn't have a business.

Yep, this would definitely depend on if you are getting their business related services or home related services. Some it's just a difference of charging more, but for quite a few, it's the difference of which techs you get and the response time of said techs and even the quality of the work, what they consider etc.

But again, ultimately, the best thing is to have these devices on a separate LAN (I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but it is very true), that way those that need internet won't very well be affected by those devices that have to have preserved settings.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
wild west
it wouldn't make a difference how he was configured since the cable people can't be bothered to duplicate the config find at a location (doctors start with, "first do no harm". but not the cable guy

we always try to let our clients suppky their own router, then all the cble guy needs to do is setup the replacement modem in "transparent mode"

WildWestDesigns

wild west
it wouldn't make a difference how he was configured since the cable people can't be bothered to duplicate the config find at a location (doctors start with, "first do no harm". but not the cable guy

If the cable guy isn't touching the LAN setup at all, I'm talking a separate, different network, not just devices that aren't allowed to "see" the outside network, but a totally isolated network in of itself, it doesn't matter what the cable guy does or what anyone does on the "other" network. Front office isn't going to lose their network connectivity, back room isn't going to lose connectivity to their devices when things are done on the "other" network.