• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi v12 on Windows 10 -Subscription vs. Buy?

bayviewsignworks

Whoa - doing a huge upgrade of a new MacBook Pro to FlexiSign (on a Mac running Parallels, El Capitan (10.11.1)

Should I go with Windows 7 or Windows 10?

And, has anyone even done this?

altereddezignz

flex 10 and 12 both will run on 7 and 10 windows. We went with the subscription. Look at what is cost you to buy outright vs how much to pay monthly.
Now look how long it will take you paying monthly payments to match what it would cost you upfront out of pocket to buy outright.

If you buy it outright on v12 your stuck with only v12. If you do the subscription and they release v13 you get it and so on.

We went with the subscription b/c by the time we match money for money on subscription vs buying outright they may be on v15 and i would still be on v12 unless i paid more to upgrade again.

Hope this helps.

WildWestDesigns

I can't speak to your exact situation (as far as running RIPs etc), however, I think I can help with the situation in general terms.

I use virtualization in my work flow as well, except I do Linux host to Win 7 guest using VirtualBox. The biggest thing that you have to be aware of is the resource needs of both OSs and the program(s) you are planning on running, especially concurrently. To be honest, my setup running 2 OSs and the programs that I need is actually faster then when Win 7 and the same programs were installed directly onto the machine, but I'm using different hardware. Xeon processor with ECC RAM. Not the same thing that I was running before with only Win 7.

That's going to be the biggest thing in determining how well this workflow with be. Either a joy or constant head banging.

With regard to subscription v. buying out right. Typically in general terms (not all the time though), subscriptions almost always cost you more then buying outright, it just depends on how far out you look. Bare in mind, that when you calculate C/B, subscription is not only the current month cost, but the previous month's (or months) cost as well over the life time you plan on using the software. Just keep that in mind. Most people only think of it as per month with no memory or projection of the other months. When I was pricing out what I needed from Adobe when they offered both, in 7 yrs, I would have paid more for subscription then upgrading every new generation. I do plan on being in my industry for longer then 7 yrs (fingers crossed).

That may or may not be the case for you though, so definitely price it out, but just be mindful how you price it out and project it over sufficient time. Well, while we still have the option anyway.

bayviewsignworks

Not too worried about memory usage as it will mainly be cutting, not printing.

Is the "year" price just one year that you have to pay then you have or would you continue to pay that from then on. 2 years, 3 years etc?

I get the advantages of upgrading but I've had 8.5 running on my Mac and it's obviously several years old and if you divide that price out over what I paid initially it's much less than the monthly subscription.

qmr55

Do you want updates or do you want to be stuck with the same version until you buy outright again?

Answer that and that answers your questions regarding subscription vs. outright.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Not too worried about memory usage as it will mainly be cutting, not printing.

Is the "year" price just one year that you have to pay then you have or would you continue to pay that from then on. 2 years, 3 years etc?

I get the advantages of upgrading but I've had 8.5 running on my Mac and it's obviously several years old and if you divide that price out over what I paid initially it's much less than the monthly subscription.

It sounds like you don't have a real need for Flexi unless you don't have any software at all or you mainly design through Flexi. What brand of machine/s do you have? I'm not sure if you have a printer but both your printer and cutter should have software that came with it. If you are just cutting, Flexi is a very expensive option especially if your cutter has free software already. Flexi does have different versions for just designing and/or cutting that are much cheaper than the full blown version which sounds like is more up your ally.

bayviewsignworks

My designer primarily designs in FlexiSign, so yes we do have a need for FlexiSign. I'm more of the output guy and do all preproduction in illustrator (Mac) then print using VersWorks (on PC on my machine via Parallels).

I just realized that buying Flexi outright is like 2,000, is that right?

So yeah, I do see the value of subscription. Do they lock you in or if for some reason you stop paying do they shut you off?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In your case you have a couple options. You can just get Flexi Designer for $995 or $29.99 per month so your designer can keep what they are used to and then print and cut from Versaworks. Or if you need to be able to cut from Flexi as well, you can get Flexi Sign for $1695 which allows you to design and cut. Flexi Sign does not have a subscription option. The full Flexi option is about $3295 or $50 per month but is overkill for you in my book. You should only get it if you plan on upgrading to more machines and brands in your shop soon.

player

Remember they will jack the monthly fee up over time. You will be too invested to switch, and if you stop paying, no files.

altereddezignz

To us and this i just us it was well worth the monthly subscription cost to have it up to date all the time everyday. No matter what i always hat the most up to date and current version of the software in my hands weather it is version 12 or version 15.

Again this is just my opinion on it.
I pay 600 a year for the subscription. When i was looking Flexi 11 was 4295 and the upgrade to 12 was 2995 b/c 12 was not released yet and i did not have flexi at the time.

So i broke it down this way if i only wanted to keep an old version of flexi it would take me 85.9 months or a little over 7 years to pay for the software in a monthly subscription. This again is having an older version of Flexi. Now if i upgraded to 12 this was 2995 or 59.9 months and or 5 years

So you do the math. lol

TomK

We use Flexi and Design station on Windows 10 without problems, including the RIP functionality for our HP Latex printer.

We also buy it via the monthly subscription with a year commit, which saves you $10 a month off of each version, and they only charge you per month, not all up front.

Techman

Do they lock you in or if for some reason you stop paying do they shut you off?

Heck yes they shut you off.

Signlab Print 9.1 and Cut is now on sale for 750. Own it outright,,

TomK

Heck yes they shut you off.

Signlab Print 9.1 and Cut is now on sale for 750. Own it outright,,

Shows $4k on their site/buy now page, and I don't see support for the HP 300 series printers, do they have additional driver downloads?

Techman

Of course you have to call them and ask for the deal. It comes with some free goodies as well.
They have all the drivers needed for every thing excvept old stuff.. But, call them and make a deal. See if they have the profiles.

Shows $4k on their site/buy now page, and I don't see support for the HP 300 series printers, do they have additional driver downloads?

altereddezignz

Remember they will jack the monthly fee up over time. You will be too invested to switch, and if you stop paying, no files.

This is why i always try to inform people about using this software for a basic rip ONLY. Design in flexi and photoshop or on the corel platform. Only do minor modifications in flexi.

If you do this then you never have to worry about loosing flexi, BUT if your always going to be in the business then why worry about it.

Take pen and paper and add up you your monthly payment over a year.
Now take the cost of buying outright with no upgrades. Look at how long you can make monthly payments before you equal the cost of buying outright.
Now take into consideration the fact that it is never out of date. New profiles and drivers downloaded automatically. Live support and the fact your not out the cost in one lump sum. Heck i can do one small job and it pays for my software.

Some people are still old school and if they dont have a disc or something in their hands they dont think that they are getting anything. If your worried they might raise the price sign a 1 year agreement paid monthly and they cannot raise the price in that year.

Like i said it would have been 7-8 grand for me to buy version 11 and then if i upgraded to version 12 when it was released. Looking at 50 a month you can see how long it would take for your to pay dollar for dollar.

Also they do not just cut you off. Your software has a 30 day soft licence so it only checks for subscription every 30 days. So it will cut you off after those 30 days but its not like it just happens at any time.

WildWestDesigns

Take pen and paper and add up you your monthly payment over a year.
Now take the cost of buying outright with no upgrades. Look at how long you can make monthly payments before you equal the cost of buying outright.
Now take into consideration the fact that it is never out of date. New profiles and drivers downloaded automatically. Live support and the fact your not out the cost in one lump sum. Heck i can do one small job and it pays for my software.

When I was giving that example about Adobe, I was actually pricing out perpetual buying outright the first time and then upgrading every new iteration, so in both cases, you were never out of date. Now, I only need Design Premium, so that was the baseline cost for the Perpetual versus the full suite subscription price, as piece mealing the individual subscription programs would be way too cost prohibitive. If all you needed was Design Standard, I believe the math came out to 5 yrs before you were paying more for subscription then perpetual.

Again, that was never being out of date which ever method I chose.

That also assumed static pricing on both avenues and both avenues being available. Which you have to make assumptions of some type in order to make projections period.

Now, the above example is for Adobe, but just swap out the name of the company and the pricing figures and see what you come up with.

Some people are still old school and if they dont have a disc or something in their hands they dont think that they are getting anything.

Technically speaking, in both instances you don't own anything. It's licensed, it's the terms of the license that people get hooked on.

Personally, all my installation disks are backed up as ISOs on my NAS, far more reliable storage medium then disks. I have this concern with subscription regardless if I'm getting a digital download or a physical disk.

If your worried they might raise the price sign a 1 year agreement paid monthly and they cannot raise the price in that year.

Just remember to calculate the lifetime costs. Some people just think of it as a monthly cost and that's it. No memory of the previous month's payment (or year or however, you want to calculate your payment). It's over the lifetime that you plan on using it.

Again, you have to assume upgrading every iteration as well even for perpetual.

Like i said it would have been 7-8 grand for me to buy version 11 and then if i upgraded to version 12 when it was released. Looking at 50 a month you can see how long it would take for your to pay dollar for dollar.

Also they do not just cut you off. Your software has a 30 day soft licence so it only checks for subscription every 30 days. So it will cut you off after those 30 days but its not like it just happens at any time.

Again, the biggest variable is what version do you need (not want, but need). Typically, if you need the full version, it'll take a long time recouping costs (upgrading every iteration, I think it was 20 yrs in my calculations for the Master Suite, I could still be in my trade that long from now (I started young), but that would definitely be pushing it), but if you need some mid range product line, then they are probably making their money on you with the subscription model (over the long haul period, they are making more money, just how long that is varies in your situation).

Again, I'm not saying that it may or may not be better to go subscription for the time that you are needing to do so, I'm just saying that one route is not always the best route in every scenario. Although, eventually rather some of us like or not, there will be only one route no matter what program you are talking about.

altereddezignz

I was just stating what worked best for me in the situation i was in. You are very correct that each persons situation in different so looking at the needs of that person and the cost is the only way to determine what the needs really are.

As in my case we may end up with new Rolland machine with versa print and so on so it was not justifiable for me to buy the software. We will be here long after the software is payed for even if we were to purchase it outright.

player

Like i said it would have been 7-8 grand for me to buy version 11 and then if i upgraded to version 12

Version 11 was not $7-$8 grand, and upgrades are usually only a few hundred. Flexi is such a crappy design program.., the screen view looks like something out of 1990.