• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Floor standing sign: How to weigh it down

mvanmeter

We're looking at quoting a floor sign which will be about 5.5' tall with a 1'x1' base.

To prevent this from falling over the first time someone runs into it, we will need to add hidden weight to the base. What have people used to do this? In order to keep the weight hidden, it will need to fit within the confines of the 1'x1' base.

Short of depleted uranium and lead, what have people used and how have they hidden these weights?

Thanks!

Mike

letterman7

Are you making this? Plenty of off the shelf floor stands with weighted bases already.. why try to make something?

MikePro

diy:

option a: a piece of 11.875"sq. piece of masking tape on the floor, and an 11.75"sq. piece of dbl.sided tape on the base of the sign.

option b: (attached image)
Screen shot 2011-11-29 at 9.03.10 PM.png

Desert_Signs

It's an architect's design.

As to the question of why we don't want to use lead: it's going into a hospital

Lots of lead in a hospital. Seriously. Lead is a shield against x-rays and hospitals that treat cancer via radiation have lead-lined rooms.

If the base is "sealed", you should be able to easily fill it with lead shot. You can pick it up in 25lb bags at most large shooting supply stores. Lead shot has a density of 470lbs/cuft, with a 1'x1' base, depending on height, you ought to be able to make it VERY heavy. You can also purchase steel shot. It has a much lower density (about 1/2 that of lead), so that may be an option if you're set against lead.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What size is the sign or sign holder going to be?

What material is called out for the upper portion?

I have designed some sizable stanchion bases using 1/2" aluminum plate, and some using steel.

Hopefully it's ADA compliant too, there are specific guidelines for protruding objects.