• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flourishes

mikey-Oh

Howdy! Working on branding for a friend of mines band. They've chosen a french name, so I'm getting in touch with some elegant letterforms. Thinking about working in some swashes and flourishes.
I've searched the forum, couple design sites and a bit of google, but really haven't found too much in the way of guidelines for flourish usage. Found an abundance of reference but as with all thing I attempt, I'd rather make something personable and unique. Obviously, it all goes back to what appeals to the eye. Just curious if there are any rules of thumb or suggestions?

Thanks

Jillbeans

Suggestions are to keep it simple/tasteful.
Just use one if possible.
Think of a woman with a ring on every finger, big chandelier earrings, a clunky necklace or two, bracelets on each wrist.
She'd probably look best with just one elegant necklace.
Love....Jill

sardocs

Use flourishes that have thick and thin strokes of a similar weight to the typefaces in the design.

Custom_Grafx

Suggestions are to keep it simple/tasteful.
Just use one if possible.
Think of a woman with a ring on every finger, big chandelier earrings, a clunky necklace or two, bracelets on each wrist.
She'd probably look best with just one elegant necklace.
Love....Jill

Totally agree there.

Like you say, it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day - I have found most people tend to go for darker colours for this sort of thing - but then again, there are some cupcake places that love candy and pastel with the look... so I guess it depends on context too.

So far, fontwise, I only have worked with 2 of them, but "P22" have some very beautiful fonts, which even alone without any flourishes, can be works of art. For example CezannePro or Dearest Swash.