• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fonts going SLOOOOOWWWW.....

Flame

Alright, so just out of the blue one day, my fonts started to load VERY slowly in CorelDraw ( I hope this is the right place for this question.... although it DOES appear to be a CorelDraw prob).

Basically, when I go to my fonts up top of the screen, it takes a good 5 seconds for it to show the list, and when I go to scroll down... it freezes up, moves a bit, and then down more.... but WAYYY too slowly. I get impatient waiting to see my fonts. My computer is brand new, 2GB of RAM, not running anything else etc. And on my second computer (which is 4 years old and almost a dinosaur) it loads them 3-4 times faster!!!

Any idea?

GK

use a font manager, never keep them all loaded in your computer its not even worth it, especially once you start getting thousands of fonts. No matter how fast your computer is, if you have a system fonts folder that is large in size, its going to take a while to load them all.

Ken

I get the slow initial load into the Corel fonts menu..after that it goes well..no delays.
Ken

Flame

Does Corel come with a font manager (heard it did?)

If so.... I'll have to go dig to find what I did with my Corel pack.

Or do I need to buy something else?

Steve C.

Definately us Font Navagator if you have Corel. Keep less than 500 to 600
font installed if you can. If you have CorelX3, Font Navagator is on disk 1
click on "explore disk" and open the file "CGS13" You'll find FN between
Finnish and French. Double click the icon to install.

signage

Flame it comes with Bitstream Navigator and look under your Corel list in all programs it should be there unless you did a custom install!

Ken

Yeah, Bitstream...but I really think you should have your top 100 on system and the rest on CD/DVD.
Ken

weaselboogie

But that doesn't sound like your problem. "out of the blue"? Yes, definitly use font navigator. I have 12,000 fonts but only 300 installed. The more you have installed the slower the startup. So, unless you installed 400 fonts in one day, i'd say that's not your problem.

I've found that sometimes corel gets funky. For example, a friend of mine who uses it has to open the color palette every time he starts corel. I use quark sometimes and after using it for a while, every time I open up a new doc, I lose my tools, transformation properties and the color palette, which I have to reopen. No biggie, just a pain.

I'd suggest using your font manager and if that doesn't work, reinstall corel. Uninstall and reinstall. who knows.

Flame

Thanks guys! I found it on my Corel disc!

Now I have to figure out ... how on earth to use it and what it does. :(

Loading my fonts right now. Did I mention I have 20,000 + fonts loaded onto my hard drive (only 120 or so in my fonts folder). This could take a minute.....

cOrKinSA

Do any of these Font managers you guys speak of, allow you to create and print a font list to keep on hand. If not do you guys know of a program that does this?

Shovelhead

I was having an issue that I posted about a while back...COREL would lock up if I had Bitstream open at the same time.....font dropdown would hang up also....
went into properties and found that only 25% of memory was dedicated to the application...bumped it up and it's smooth since.