• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Fonts.. you want to see how many ?

Jeremiah

Although our shop has hundreds of examples of actual signs, fonts , artwork etc. There is that customer with a small order that wants to see every possible font on their sign on the computer monitor . I TRY to give them 3 choices. I have a friend who limits small customers to the 3 question limit. That never works for us.

karst41

I tell them to go online and find the fonts they want to use.
They are never going to pay $250 per hr for layout and design.

John Miller

I had a couple wanting boat lettering. They were still squabbling about what the name would be as we sat down to the computer. I chose one of the names, typed in some lettering and said, "your name could look like this" Then I made a copy and changed the font. At that point the woman said to her husband "if we had more time I'd have him show us all the fonts he has" I turned to her and said" come back when you have more time I'll be happy to show you as many as you want, our design rate is $XXX" without missing a beat, said "I like the first one" It's amazing how people have no respect for your time.

CanuckSigns

My standard reply to this is "go to dafont.com and pick something there" I dont have time to swap out fonts 300 times till you see what you like.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
A long time ago I made a printed booklet with visual samples of the most popular fonts we had at the time. We allowed customers to look through that as well as the fonts section in the CorelDRAW manuals. All that did was create more problems than it solved. Most clients have zero expertise in graphic design and typography much less know what works outdoors in distance challenged viewing environments. Some typefaces work great for channel letters while some others totally stink. Most clients don't know that difference much less have any raw design talent to be able to instinctively make a good choice. That's what we, the designers, are supposed to do.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Most daFont fonts are licensed for personal use only and are not licensed for commercial use. Best practice is to to pay for the proper licensing, otherwise you risk potential damages (and you are screwing somebody who spent time and thought developing the font).

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Tell your customer to go to Google Fonts. They can type in their name or verbiage and see it in hundreds of fonts instantly. I use it for myself when designing sometimes.

CanuckSigns

Most daFont fonts are licensed for personal use only and are not licensed for commercial use. Best practice is to to pay for the proper licensing, otherwise you risk potential damages (and you are screwing somebody who spent time and thought developing the font).

Yes I am aware, but 99% of the time I have something close enough that its fine.

Stacey K

I like making signs
For the ladies that like those cursive fonts for small project I have 10 fonts to choose from I printed on paper. I'm quick to add they can go online to 1001 Fonts and pick one. They almost never do LOL

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
I tell them to go online and find the fonts they want to use.
They are never going to pay $250 per hr for layout and design.

Do you really charge $250/hr? If so, that's awesome! and at the same time how? We charge between $60-$85 and people usually are shocked.

JetPress

I took some time to type a few sheets of what fonts we have available. It's been very helpful with customers who come in with no idea or direction.

MikePro

just pick some random options that you like & may cover every "type" of font that you already have: sans/serif, script, & comic sans and just roll with it. we do options all the time, and they rarely end up with more than one or two revisions, but make sure your options are clearly labeled and their final selection is documented... too many options/revisions lead to confusion, and miscommunication leads to losingmoney.