• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Football helmet decals, what material?

parrott

A cutomer of ours is asking us to print some decals that he can apply to his football teams helmets. The decals only need to last 1 season (90 days) as they will send the helmets off to be refurbished once the season is over. We will be printing/cutting 1 image for each side of the helmet, a strip down the center and the players number. Seeing as these would be mounted to complex curves, what kind of material would you recomend? I would imagine that these would be very difficult to mount if you did not have any experience. Is there a material out there that the end customer could install himself? Thank you for any feed back.

Football helments take a lot of abuse, Convex is about the only material that will endure. This is a job for people who specialize will save a lot of problems down the road.

parrott

Football helments take a lot of abuse, Convex is about the only material that will endure. This is a job for people who specialize will save a lot of problems down the road.

This is kind of what I figured, but the guy was told a minimum of 3 week lead time by his vendor which did not go over very well. This is a little bit out of our comfort zone, but would like to give it a shot. If anything it would be a good learning experience. Not much to risk, but a lot to learn.

TresL

There is some arlon product that would work.

Also check out Substance vinyl.
We use it a lot for MX.
Once they install 1 or 2, there should be no problems.

PM me if you need help with it, we print on it daily.

Letterbox Mike

We've done them on 3651 with 210 laminate and to my knowledge they hold up fairly well, but I still prefer to do them on Convex, that stuff is bulletproof. Where did you try to order the Convex from that quoted you a 3 week lead time?

parrott

We've done them on 3651 with 210 laminate and to my knowledge they hold up fairly well, but I still prefer to do them on Convex, that stuff is bulletproof. Where did you try to order the Convex from that quoted you a 3 week lead time?

Our customer went to some athletic store and they told him 3 weeks to have them produced. So he came to us wanting to know if we could do it any sooner. I told him that shouldn't be a problem, but I will have to research some materials first. So, here I am trying to find the best fit vinyl for the job. I will look into the Convex. :thankyou:

petepaz

From what i have heard the convex is the best for this job but i think more of the issue is the lam you use that is where you are going to get the abuse

Steve Werner

Convex is the way to go. There has got to be a merchant member somewhere here that could do this for you. Or you could order the material direct.

TresL

Most any of the MX guys on here should be able to help you out.
Not sure of any MM's, but there may be one.

Letterbox Mike

From what i have heard the convex is the best for this job but i think more of the issue is the lam you use that is where you are going to get the abuse

Convex has a matched laminate that should be used with these, it's as bulletproof as the vinyl.

If you don't want to mess with this yourself shoot me a PM with the specs and I'll get you a quote for printing these. We've got Convex and the laminate in stock.

Sign Works

I recently ordered 6 mil Convex directly from Convex and recieved the product the following day along with a free sample of the new Pitbull vinyl as well. Great products & service.

The abuse these helments endure is unbelieveable. The Pee Wee leagues might last with some cheaper stuff but High School, Community Colleges and Universitys need the Convex to last and look decent for an entire season and sometimes have to be replaced mid-season especially for linemen where the contact is constant and brutal. We buy from Convex with a 2 day delivery, use thier laminate and all will be happy.