• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For everyone thinking of purchasing a Summa, specifically F1612, don't.

HulkSmash

I've been battling summa for years on my lemon F1612, they did very little in trying to fix it. We have replaced the board several times due to F Performance, that is admittingly causing this to destroy the board, by summa, airmark and as well as grimco techs. They also said that they have replaced boards out of warranty because they know they are bad. They refuse to replace mine, which blew up again for the 3rd time this week. Now they will not cover it (they said they have created a new board to stop this from happening) and they are not sending it to me unless i pay for it. So, they sold me a broken machine with a broken part, and have finally figured out how to fix the part but want to charge me for it. This is the type of company Summa is. Also summa tried to end my warranty that came with my machine early, also again, out of spite. If you want more information feel free to PM me.

CanuckSigns

We were advised to disable F-performance about a year ago on our 1612, it was painful to watch it run without it, so we re-enabled it and havn't had any issues (knock on wood) but we were told that summa will be replacing the board once they come out with a new one, even if the machine is out of warrantee.

If you are saying Summa has finally figured out the fix and have replacement boards available I will be emailing Grimco to get one and install it!

ProColorGraphics

I have no issues with the f-performance on mine. Works great! I blew a couple boards as well, but it had to have been power issues as after the last one, I installed surge protectors on my breaker panels and haven't had any issues since.

My experience with my F1612 has be TOTALLY opposite as it has worked near flawlessly!

What was the broken part is was sold to you with?

HulkSmash

3 years running. Can’t live without my F1612. One of the best purchases I’ve made in 20 years.
right, when it works we love it. But we've been using it with a bandaid since day one.

Also i get Device Read Failure about 4-5 times a week, and it randomly stops the job. Fun.

HulkSmash

We were advised to disable F-performance about a year ago on our 1612, it was painful to watch it run without it, so we re-enabled it and havn't had any issues (knock on wood) but we were told that summa will be replacing the board once they come out with a new one, even if the machine is out of warrantee.

If you are saying Summa has finally figured out the fix and have replacement boards available I will be emailing Grimco to get one and install it!

Right so the issue with this is this. They are liars. They told me all the problems i was having was isolated. From the F performance, to device read failures.. ETC.

Come to find out a ton of people are having these issues.. EVEN ADMITED TO ME the board has been an issue from day 1.

CanuckSigns

So I gotta ask, what is F-performance? And how is it painful to watch it run with it disabled?
It's a software add on for the flatbed cutters that increases the cutting speed by around 40%, because the F series has such a massive head carriage to move around, it can;t cut anywhere as fast as a standard roll cutter, when you enable F-performance it makes the cutter lift, turn and cut faster, when it's off its like having slow internet, you just want to poke your eyes out with pins.

SignEST

It's a software add on for the flatbed cutters that increases the cutting speed by around 40%, because the F series has such a massive head carriage to move around, it can;t cut anywhere as fast as a standard roll cutter, when you enable F-performance it makes the cutter lift, turn and cut faster, when it's off its like having slow internet, you just want to poke your eyes out with pins.
Seems like they tweak the PID settings on the servos or steppers. One of those just cause you can doesn't mean you should scenarios. You can only take a corner so fast before shit starts going sideways.

CNC routers also have settings that allow you to speed up smaller curves and cuts but it really hurts the machine if you go too far with it. I'm sure the people at Summa are well aware of it.

HulkSmash

Seems like they tweak the PID settings on the servos or steppers. One of those just cause you can doesn't mean you should scenarios. You can only take a corner so fast before **** starts going sideways.

CNC routers also have settings that allow you to speed up smaller curves and cuts but it really hurts the machine if you go too far with it. I'm sure the people at Summa are well aware of it.

that's completely fine, and makes total sense. What doesn't make sense is that they gave me a broken machine, fixed the part so it stops breaking, and won't give it to me. Essentially it's a recall part. It's okay, i Bought it from a different vendor, as AIRMARK refused to sell it to me.

HulkSmash

just here to bump and remind everyone that summa will leave you high and dry if they can't fix your problems, and airmark will not side with the company who paid them money for the machine, but side with summa. Real customer support.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
This has all been documented already, but if you want us to disclose all of the details again I am happy to. Not sure why you are still so upset with us or the Summa brand at this point but feel free to share why you are upset with us today. I look forward to hearing why you are so upset.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

HulkSmash

This has all been documented already, but if you want us to disclose all of the details again I am happy to. Not sure why you are still so upset with us or the Summa brand at this point but feel free to share why you are upset with us today. I look forward to hearing why you are so upset.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

Why am i upset? Phil, you seem smart - you know why I'm upset. So let's not beat around the bush. Your company has 0 interest in having your clients back. I have documentation that might make your head explode - it's vast. Attempting to fix something, and not fixing it, isn't good enough. No matter how many times you try. You get that, right?