• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

for gawds sake who's using oneshot anymore, really

Joe Diaz

We are now using HOK and DuPont for stripping, and have been loving Nova Color.

My dad, who knows way more about paint than I ever will, posted this on another forum:

Friends, I don't associate the lack of lead in 1 Shot lettering enamels as being the culprit to its demise as many colors have not had lead in them for several years before. I think some of the other goodies in the paint like resins have been compromised over the years to lesson the production costs of the paint. I think they have caused unforeseen problems. If you are in love with alkyds maybe try another brand such as Ronan or Fine Paints of Europe.

Maybe you are one of lucky ones that have a huge supply of the old stuff. Most aren't lucky like that, but even those old supplies will eventually run out.

I think when vinyl grabbed a foothold in the industry the writing was already on the wall. The folks at 1 Shot surely saw that the use of their products were going to take a hit and they have tried what they can to keep the ship afloat. Fewer and fewer people are wanting to use alkyd paints that are reduced with solvents only to have them fail sooner than expected.

I jumped ship in the 90's and my remaining supply of 1 Shot has been devoted to interior projects, toys and panel jamming with letterheads. I wouldn't rely on the paint for serious projects or you will be disappointed.

My last straw was a sign I lettered for an antique store. It was painted with lettering enamels and the store was painted by the owner using regular house paints. Many colors were coordinated between the sign and the store. The store owner was no painter, but imagine my embarrassment when his paint looked better than mine color for color after 5 years -- me being the pro and all.

I have been using urethanes for my striping and small automotive lettering. I use acrylics with automotive catalyzed clear coats for my longest lasting exterior signs. You can be sure that if the government knew what went into those 2 part paints or if they knew that our landfills were being massed with scrap vinyl, they would pitch a fit and the cycle would start all over again.

I expect that I will have to reinvent myself every half decade with the products I use until I die in order stay in the game.

Perks

Thin it out to paint the backgrounds with spirits or xylol. It may be alligatoring because it is setting up so fast that by the time you pass over a second time to get the bubbles out your giving it a second coat without realizing it. One Shot is also more expensive to use for a lettering enamel on backgrounds don't you think? I agree that ronan bulletin is average $50 bucks for a Gallon and would be a wiser choice. A few drops of boiled linseed oil will also slow the drying time down.

k.a.s.

As with most of you my mom lettered with one shot and we still have a bunch for use on occasion. But the drying time has always been my problem, it just freakin takes to long. Ronan, on the other hand is Gods gift to sign painters. We use it for almost everything, it levels out nice and drys to touch in a few hours (imagine). I'm not sure I could make signs without Ronan, everything else I've tried is crap.

Kevin

adkmaid

one shot pudding

ok i knew i could not be the only one having problems with one shot and yeah i may be one of the few still using it but i am ready to scrap my whole mess of cans at this point. why is it all "pudding like" even on new cans? red takes oh i dont know three or more days to dry, i have had enough. who ever still has the ole leaded one shot guard it with your life it was the best stuff in the world for hand lettering and striping but not anymore. I have been working with one shot for over 30 years and now i need to learn a whole new mixing formula with new paint HOC or ronan? geez old dog not gonna like this. which is closest to mixing one shot colors? which is the smoothest?:banghead:

AUTO-FX

I think the Ronan is more similar to 1Shot as they are both long oil alkalyds. The HOC paint is all urethanes. It requires thinners and catalysts(in order to harden) like those used in automotive paints. It is for spraying with the exception of their line of striping colors. I use these for striping and monogramming, and they thin well and remain opaque - great for airbrushing, but it's expensive and i wouldnt even consider it for coating out a substrate or for large projects.

Craig Sjoquist

Adkmaid ... it seems Ronan lettering is the way to go theses days, or if you rather go to a water base Nova colors, other good choices are HOK lettering paint and many others mentioned above about getting the exact color wanted not sure what to say trial and error on some I guess.... good luck

Since Ronan is stocked here at my supplier I've slowly buying lettering enamels as needed and have been satisfied.