• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

for gawds sake who's using oneshot anymore, really

AUTO-FX

i used to use one shot. pinstripes, embellishing, boat stripes and stuff, but the last half a dozen years i've been using house of color urethane, and i havent done a whole lot of sign work other than plastic stuff for a while. My father in law called and asked for a sign for the ballfield in his neighborhood. He faxed me the requirements. Imitation Gold with black copy, so i naturally ordered a quart of one shot (on account of the imitation gold) and some mdo. Monday i painted the board. Late that evening i decided i wasnt happy with one little spot so i gave it a second coat. Now you know how one shot is finicky? Well, when i looked at the sign in the morning i was kickin myself - that second coat wrinkled the first coat. Seems 6 0r 8 hours between coats wasnt enough. I cut another board and gave it ONE nice even, fairly heavy coat, straight out of the can, so it would flow out, have good coverage, and not need a second. left it for several hours to flow out, then put a fan and a heater on it for the whole afternoon. Longer story shorter, 48 hours later it STILL WASNT FREAKIN DRY! I do believe that was the last time i will ever use oneshot.

JR's

1shot has change there formula and now you shood use hardener with ever thing, or all the paints
hardener 4007 and to thin it low temp reducer 6001. its all-most like a acrylics.

JR

AUTO-FX

i agree - one shot has changed their formula to "sucks".:doh:
And either i need bigger reading glasses, or no where on the label does it say
" additional components required " in order for curing to occur. Now, the wrinkle thing was my bad, because it does say to wait 24 hours for recoating.
Gentleman, i appreciate your suggestions, but latex and HVLP will be my choice next time!

visual800

first off..ONE SHOT IS SH*T. Its worthless and i cannot belive people are still using it. You would be better off going to target and buying poster paint and clearing it mayonnaise.

back in early 90s I saw that something was wrong with one shot. One of the last products I bought form them was one shot clearcoat. I would have done better to spread crisco on the sign. The clercoat after 1 year crystallized like fish scales. i contacte done shot and demanded a refund and explanation. It took several weeks for them to get back with me and theyre response was "My prepping or application was wrong"...REALLY!? after using your product for 10 years thats what you came up with, never touched them since then

THEY changed something in their products and they are now worthless

Jillbeans

When I bought my first can of 1Shot in 1985, I had only painted three signs in my life.
They were painted with either latex house paint, Rustoleum, or (bad mistake) car paint with NO hardener. I was so impressed with the ease of it, the smooth strokes, being wet enough to flow but not too drippy. Used it without a problem, except for fish eyes in medium green starting in the late 90s.

When I started going to Letterhead meets it was always on the table. When I started hosting Letterhead meets they were an extremely generous sponsor. They had a great rep, Frank Manning, who was a real stand-up knowledgeable and cool guy.

At these same meets there was always Ronan paint too. But it sat unopened for the most part because everyone was familiar with 1S. Ronan has always been a very generous donor to the Letterheads. After the Mars meet there was a lot of Ronan left over. A "townie" made off with all the Chromatic and there was not too much 1S left.

Anyway, that's when I tried it. That was 2002. It worked well, had nice colors, and seemed to stay looking good longer than the 1S. As the years have passed, I began using more and more Ronan and less of the 1S. The black, bright red, maroon, and imitation gold are awful. I have had red take 4 days to dry, then after about a year outside it loses its gloss and fades. The black has an odd sticky texture. The imi gold also fades. I had the same problem with the clear that Bruce describes too. I have one "old" tinting clear that I treat like gold though.

I got my supplier to start stocking Ronan, and Ronan will also ship out a box of pints or half-pints directly to me when ordered by my supplier. Their fluorescent paint is nice to use on window splashes, too. I use block-out white, their lettering enamels, their bulletin enamels, Speednamel, and their metallic Aqua Leafs are outstanding. Have also used their water based paint and it is also great.

1 Shot is the new Avery. I've said it before but it bears repeating.
Love....Jill

weaselboogie

I don't use a lot of paint, but the last time I ordered, I called and talked to Jill about Ronan and the pros and cons of each. I bought a quart of Ronan and have only used it to roll paint panels, but was pleased. The fumes aren't as bad as 1S, and the dry time is incredible... actually a bit too quick especially for outside work. Tacky in 15 minutes, dry to the touch in 2 hours.

JR's

I don't use a lot of paint, but the last time I ordered, I called and talked to Jill about Ronna and the pros and cons of each. I bought a quart of Ronna and have only used it to roll paint panels, but was pleased. The fumes aren't as bad as S, and the dry time is incredible... actually a bit too quick especially for outside work. Tacky in 15 minutes, dry to the touch in 2 hours.

cool I will be switching over, will it mix with one shot? or would that be a no no. I have a lot of one shot in stock.

JR

Jillbeans

I have mixed it with 1S no problems but I am not a chemical engineer....just smelled a lot-o-paint fumes.
:)
Process Blue smells nicest.

AUTO-FX

Anyone recommend a latex?
( I used to use glidden high gloss with a little flow enhancer, seemed pretty good. )

OldPaint

i guess iam one of the few........that still has NOS LEADED 1 shot. an old sign guy here passed on and i was lucky enough to go in and buy all his NOS 1 shot, chromatic and even some old CRAFTtint & FIBEROSEAL.
and some really old ACME!!!!

Attachments

• moon 078s.jpg
    moon 078s.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 346

Craig Sjoquist

I still use 1shot and like it have no problems using it, WHY it's also maybe cause that's also all I can get locally, every thing else I have to order., so not tried HOK lettering or Nova color or other brands

No I try not to use it for backgrounds any more cause they took the lead out it does not last as well as latex, fades way fast, for that I now clear coat with Ronan's UV Aquathane any job that pay's good and I want it to last longer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My first question to you, AUTO...... did you coat the background out with lettering enamel or bulletin ??

There is a big difference between them, hence the two names. :noway:
Anyway, 1Shot has always been good to me and like OP... I still have lotsa 1Shot with lead in it. Your first mistake was probably coating it too soon. Alligatoring or blistering with the wrinkle look is always from the top coat going down before the first coat had time to thoroughly dry. You reactivated the first coat and wrinkling is always the result. Humidity and air flow are your two biggest instigators for bad paint jobs. Also, if you try to put your finish coat on in one big fat gooey mess, it will never dry properly… that’s a fact, jack. That’s probably the number one NOT to do thing with any paint, regardless who manufactures it. That will create orange peel and dry to the touch while the bottom area will take weeks or months to dry….. if at all.

A thin first coat, wait a day or so, then sand, tack and then re-coat. If you use lettering enamel, you should cut it first and just give the substrate as much drying time as you can. Adding all kinds of additives is not really a good thing to do. It also changes the 1Shot recipe and results down the road will quickly surface for the most part.

Oh yeah, we also use quite a bit of Ronan, but for a different reason…. It’s just easier to get and it’s cheaper. I don’t think one works any better than the other, but 1Shot has a longer history with me.