• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For Owners/Managers

DanL 57703

Just curious, when you have a large project that has problems whether in production or installation. Do you have a meeting when the project is completed and go over those issues and try to prevent them on the next project?

ikarasu

Nothing wrong with having a "Debrief" so long as it's not about pointing fingers. "So charlie was laminating the 2 rolls upstairs and he used the wrong type of laminate, it cost us $600 and hours and hours in time, so next time we have a job charlie will be sweeping the floors!" Doesn't go over so well as "Just wanted to update you all that this job is complete, the customer loved everything about it, and while it went pretty smoothly theres a few things to watch out for on the next job - Pay close attention to what laminate we're using as we did end up using the wrong one and having to redo, but other than that the job finished ahead of schedule and I'm sure we'll be getting more business from the client!"

Do a shit sandwich. Something good...something bad, then follow up with a positive. But if the same person is making the same mistakes, then of course it's a whole different issue.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Employees shouldn't be making mistakes all of the time so when that's the case, you need to look at your production procedures and eventually if it's not fixed, you send them down the road. A random screw up is to be expected and there's no point in dwelling on it. I usually just catch the person, show them the issue and say hey it's no big deal but be careful of this next time. You have to be careful that you don't create an environment of fear or it will start to show in your production numbers and overall morale.
I do get on all of the employees about things like cleanliness and I'm not very nice about it. I still never single any one out but if if I see one person making an effort and the rest being slackers, I'll usually tell them beforehand, alone, that it's not aimed at them but the bitchfest is coming. This way they get yelled at too and don't become the outcast of the group.

Notarealsignguy

Yeah, it gets hard to come down on employees without either demeaning them and causing resentment, or loosing their respect because they think you're a push over.
The of course you have different types. My vinyl lady beats herself up for something like wrong laminate, to the point you have to point out wasted time in even worrying about it is wasting money. VS the giant a$$hole that is my fabricator, that cares about his work, but 'I'm sorry' is not in his vocabulary, unless he's dealing with the big bossman.
When and where to come down on someone's f*ck up is going to be employee dependent in a smaller shop, but in a larger environment, a meeting would be a good place to do it, as long as its not a witch hunt or shout-fest from some upper manager/owner who never sets foot in the production areas.
A prima Donna fabricator? Say it isn't so!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We go over customer feedback, late jobs, daily sales, all of it in a daily meeting with the whole company. Everyday at 10:35 am.

The way I see it, pointing fingers is kind of part of the game. We need the people who messed up to admit it. Then we try hard to move on. I mess up all the time. Part of the job. It's important to recognize those mistakes.

My team mostly realizes that owning a mistake is the best way to avoid a lecture.

John Miller

Ever see what happens when a professional baseball player makes a mistake on the bases or in the field? He is immediately taken aside by one of the coaches. It doesn't seem as though they are being yelled at, seems more like a learning experience. We make things out of raw materials, nobody can foresee all possibilities. Learn from the mistake, move on. I try to discuss woulda-shoulda-coulda, and leave it there. Same mistake a second time earns a "what made you think that failed scenario would work this time? I expect an answer to the question.

FireSprint.com

It's easy to get bogged down in meetings. Standing during meetings is the first way to help them shorten up.

Yes, 100% of our day-shift staff is in the meeting. It's about 25 total minutes on most days.

It is a significant cost for sure, and it's not really a good option for every company, but it does a few things for us:
1.) Everyone knows our sales trends, customer feedback, production numbers, etc. In my experience, most employees list "Poor Communication" as the primary reason for leaving their previous employer. We have very low turnover - even in our entry level positions.
2.) It's part of our culture. It gives people a second to stop and get to know each other. We're stronger because of it. More aligned.
3.) It gets people to quit fairly quickly. If they don't like being part of the team, making them speak up a little during our large group meeting will get them out of here. I can't always judge someone's fit in our culture in one or two interviews.
4.) It does help us not have several smaller meetings. Production staff doesn't have any other planned meetings throughout a typical day.

It is pretty costly. We could certainly save some money by not doing it. Overall though, I personally feel it's a net positive.

FireSprint is a Trade Only Screen & Digital Printer. Join our nationwide network of resellers today!

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

I have never felt that meetings were productive. I've worked for companies that did them annually and others that had them daily. Daily was the worst and biggest time suck.

Notarealsignguy

That's great, though I feel like you may be right in a sweet spot. Organized, lean, attentive workforce at the moment, I can't imagine this being as productive if you continue to grow. Not trying to be negative, just imagining twice the number of jobs to review and individuals trying to pay attention for fewer reasons doesn't go over well.

I feel like I keep giving sh*t sandwiches here and I don't mean to... Rock and roll on your productive daily meetings, its great!
I agree with you on this.
Some employees care, most don't but still have good work ethic and will do their job. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that either. Tell them what they need to do and move on. Meetings are usually for top heavy companies to justify positions. It usually just annoys everyone.

FireSprint.com

That's great, though I feel like you may be right in a sweet spot. Organized, lean, attentive workforce at the moment, I can't imagine this being as productive if you continue to grow. Not trying to be negative, just imagining twice the number of jobs to review and individuals trying to pay attention for fewer reasons doesn't go over well.

I agree with you. Our meeting currently has around 20 people in it. We all stand in a big circle. When there are 40 of us in the meeting, it will be much harder. We'll likely need to break it apart.

We have worthless meetings from time to time, and we have really really productive ones from time to time. Just part of it all.

I do appreciate the feedback, and don't disagree with the general sentiment that meetings can very quickly become a waste of time. Especially if there isn't a clear agenda, or people don't come prepared.
I feel like I keep giving sh*t sandwiches here and I don't mean to... Rock and roll on your productive daily meetings, its great!

Lol. I am not offended. I realize what we are doing is a little unorthodox. I appreciate the feedback!

Stacey K

I like making signs
In 15 years I worked for 2 companies (not sign related). The first one had very few meetings, if you made an error it was a quick phone call or a quick meeting in your office and it was DONE. Monthly meetings via phone with your supervisor for 5 minutes, monthly meetings with all the people in the office which always included Linda's baked goods LOL

The next job I was in 3-4 meetings a day that were an hour each. I was always behind, never even CLOSE to being caught up, we had meetings about meetings about meetings. They analyzed every mistake, every good thing, every idea then had another meeting about it until it was time to go home. Then it started back up the next day. Such a waste of time.

jochwat

Graphics Department
Where I work now, we do a once a week meeting, and it lasts about 15 minutes on average. Entire group, about 30 people. The discussion revolves around what's going well, anything coming up that might be out of the ordinary, holiday reminders, policy reminders, upcoming overtime, and when necessary, a mention of something that may have not been performed as well as it could have, and how it could be resolved. Very smooth-sailing ship, at least from an employee's view.

At my previous job (the one that caused a crapstorm here on S101 when I asked about some equipment recommendations), the management was so poor that we had to eventually endure TWO daily meetings. Most of it was based on what we were doing wrong, and that the place was going to shut down if we didn't get more (any) sales. Basically two opportunities to beat us all on the head every day. I imagine if sales were through the roof, we would not have had a reason to meet so often. When you haven't got much work to do, I guess why not have a meeting?

Two daily meetings vs. once a week? Less, in my experience, is definitely more. But I imagine it all comes down to the people running the show.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Usually, once in the early part of the morning, we go over important notes on things to do and certain things that need to be addressed or emphasized. There is nothing wrong with pointing out what went wrong with such & such job and what caused it or how it happened. We all learn from our mistakes. Besides, you don't think the others know what happened ?? Give me a break, they know full well... where and how they f*cked up. Their knowing you know makes it sink in deeper and probably won't happen again. If it does, then follow the earlier advice of getting rid of people who cannot follow simple instructions. we're no charity organization. It's a place of work. Comer work, or go home.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have our 15-20 minute daily production dept meetings here; different time every morning usually around 9-10am.
We have around 15 total employees and 6 are in production, usually the owner steps into the meeting if he is available.
We go through our schedule for yesterday through 5 days out.
Yesterday's jobs are glossed over (hopefully they were completed, if not they are moved to today) and mistakes/positives about finished jobs are brought up quickly.
Today's jobs are made sure everything will be packed/shipped in time (today's install jobs should already be complete) or ready for install tomorrow.
This helps to be sure we have the right amount of employees focused on each task and prioritizes them, especially if the sales dept have rearranged the install schedule or other issue or a customer needs something rushed.
It has helped a lot with keeping everything on schedule and nothing slips through the cracks.

Notarealsignguy

We have our 15-20 minute daily production dept meetings here; different time every morning usually around 9-10am.
We have around 15 total employees and 6 are in production, usually the owner steps into the meeting if he is available.
We go through our schedule for yesterday through 5 days out.
Yesterday's jobs are glossed over (hopefully they were completed, if not they are moved to today) and mistakes/positives about finished jobs are brought up quickly.
Today's jobs are made sure everything will be packed/shipped in time (today's install jobs should already be complete) or ready for install tomorrow.
This helps to be sure we have the right amount of employees focused on each task and prioritizes them, especially if the sales dept have rearranged the install schedule or other issue or a customer needs something rushed.
It has helped a lot with keeping everything on schedule and nothing slips through the cracks.
I would think this would be more productive if done at the end of the day? Figure out what was completed and what carries over, then make up everyone's schedules for the following day so when they get into work they hit the ground running. The morning hours are typically the most productive part of the day. If the meeting happens at 10 and the schedule was rearranged, you're losing 2-3 hours of time to turn the ship.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
By the end of the day, ain't gonna be anyone listening about anything, and especially about making mistakes after a long day. It might be good for you to go over reports and work-orders and plan your schedule for tomorrow, but other than loading a truck for tomorrow's instal, not so much.