• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For the dog lovers...What I did this week.

Bill43mx

Back in October my wife and I adopted a 1 year old female pitbull, Willow, who was being fostered locally. She had major confidence issues because she was tied to a fence post and abandoned, and it was a long slow process to get her back to "normal". There were days that Catherine and I just wanted to cry because we felt so bad for her. Six months later she is the most amazing dog I could ever imagine and we regularly have people comment on how beautiful and well behaved she is. We've even had a few who jealously asked if we would consider switching dogs with them. ;-) Well,Monday night about midnight I was getting ready to quit working and was checking facebook before heading to bed. A friend had posted a picture of a dog looking for a home. I went to the page then found a link to another page and somehow ended up on "Death Row Dogs", a list of dogs in NYC shelters that were scheduled to be put down the following day. To make a long story short my wife and I were up until 3am filling out applications and sending emails and faxes The shelter (manhattan) starts killing at 12:30 and we found out at 12:20 Tuesday that we saved a dog. We didn't commit to adoption, just fostering, but I'm pretty sure we'll end up keeping him. How's that for drama? An 11th hour pardon from death row! We're probably crazy, but right now being crazy feels pretty good! Here's our new guy:

Usain

Last edited:

Bill43mx

Wow...my apologies to anyone (Tony!) who read through that mess! I was having trouble getting the link to post correctly and didn't realize I was reposting parts of my post over and over! I just cleaned it up.

neato

Nice going! We just adopted a Pitbull in October as well. I never dreamed I'd own a pitbull and didn't go to the shelter with intentions of getting one. But she's the best dog I've ever had by far. Super intelligent, loyal, obedient and always happy.

It's sad that most of the dogs in the shelter are pitbulls or pit mixes. People just don't want them because of the bad and undeserved reputation they have.

The only issue she has is with other dogs. We have to watch her closely. But dog aggression is what they're bred for.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Good on you, dogs are the best.

wayne k
guam usa

I thought this thread was going to be about someone running over a cat......

Bill43mx

Phillip,
Thanks for rescuing a pit! I've learned so much about them in the past 6 months. My wife wanted a dog and I wanted a happy wife ;-) so we went to the shelter back in october. I only knew what you read in the headlines about pits...all the bad stuff. At this particular shelter you didn't go to the kennels...they showed you a picture album of the dogs and if you liked one they "might" deem you worthy of meeting it. Anyways, my wife took every dog they brought her for a walk. I wasn't impressed with any of them so kept looking through the book. I found a picture of a cool looking dog and it said it was a Staffordshire Terrier. Being dog ignorant I did not know that's what a pitbull is. Anyways..they said that dog was in the office and I could go in with it if I wanted to. Now honestly if it said "Pit bull" I probably would not have gone into the office alone with that dog but, as they say, ignorance is bliss so in I went. They had a couch in there and as soon as I sat down the dog jumped on the couch, put her head in my lap, and rolled over so I could rub her belly! I was in there for half an hour before they told me we might have problems with our homeowners insurance if we adopted a pit bull. I looked at them and said "Who said anything about getting a pit bull?" And they all giggled! We couldn't get that dog because we have 2 cats and it had issues with cats but I was hooked on getting a pit. A few days later we found Willow, who was rescued in Ohio, and was being fostered only 15 minutes from my home and the rest is history.

One of the things that I've learned is that pit bulls weren't bred to be dog aggressive, they were bred to be task driven. When properly trained and given a task they will do everything in their power to complete that task. The unfortunate side to that is it's what makes them great fighting dogs because the "task" is to kill the other dog (that comes from training, not breeding) and they will ignore their own pain to try and complete the task. But that can also be put to positive uses. One of the trainers we've worked with does K9 search and rescue work and was involved with the World Trade Center search after 9/11. She was just telling me about a pit she knew that died from injuries he received while rescuing someone there because he wouldn't stop once he got the scent. They can be pretty amazing dogs but, of course, their loyalty and task drive can be misused. Sorry if that sounded like a lecture....I've become very defensive of the breed. :) Anyways...here's Willow:

Attachments

• 411143_10150567961921955_616626954_10892874_1945442721_o.jpg
    411143_10150567961921955_616626954_10892874_1945442721_o.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 41

SD&F

I love dog people, they tend to be of the highest caliber. My kids brought home an abused Pit Bull and she was really amazing. I found her a great home with a couple who absolutely love her. The couple actually lost a dog in a fight with a lab mix????? So sad, but they are so happy with ALICE.

Locals Find!

A Big problem I have with Pit owners are those who try to pass off pibulls as American Bull Dogs which are an entirely different breed.

I happen to own an American Bull Dog and convincing my Insurance company and the landlord that he wasn't a pit bull was a fight and a half. If your going to own a pit call it what it is.

tcorn1965

A Big problem I have with Pit owners are those who try to pass off pibulls as American Bull Dogs which are an entirely different breed.

I happen to own an American Bull Dog and convincing my Insurance company and the landlord that he wasn't a pit bull was a fight and a half. If your going to own a pit call it what it is.

I have had a bad day, so I am going to be abrupt. Shut up. Do not PM me.

Terry