• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Four day work weeks?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
With some of the deadlines we try to meet for our 'high value clients' I am considering adding a drive through service.
Order in the front - drive around back and pick up your order.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wha..... ?? You don't have one of them, yet ??

We even have one of those shelves, that has all those things no one ever stocks for those people who totally forgot what day it is.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just think, once you hire your new lead installer and assistant installer along with your new designer, you'll have more time for yourself and you can hang out here, more. :)

jfiscus

Rap Master
I think it is do-able for most medium and larger sized businesses as long as there is overlap in departments. I'm usually here at 7/7:30am until 5pm, so turning that back to 4 days would eliminate some overtime. If one employee worked Tues-Fri and the other in the same area worked Mon-Thurs there'd always be someone for the rush jobs that arrive.

HulkSmash

As the business owner, I do not let work define who I am. It's a means to an end. I do enjoy it. I can't see myself doing anything else these days. I feel sorry for the people that become slaves to their business or employer. I'm a victim of it myself. Slowly getting better at it though.

Listen man, I'm not disagreeing. But some of us are just wired differently. I have goals that I have to accomplish, a certain age i want to retire, a certain fortune i want to leave my 3 kids. I work hard for my family more than my self, so they don't have to. I don't think working 4 days a week, or having the mind set of - "not going to let work define who I am, so i won't work that hard"..... The saying, "Hard work Pays off" Is a very accurate statement. I fly first class everywhere I go, I buy whatever my family needs without worries, I take lavish vacations with my family whenever I can, We live in our dream house, and i'm only 32. On top of that my employees get paid very well. They've all been here 5+ years except for some newer hires - Without working 55-65 hrs a week, I could not be where I want to be. Granted, I've only been doing this for 11 years, but without the hrs I've put into this business, it would not be where it is today, and you have to put in the time, grind, and hustle to win. So yes, my work does define who I am, at the end of the day.

ams

Just think, once you hire your new lead installer and assistant installer along with your new designer, you'll have more time for yourself and you can hang out here, more. :)

I try to stay away from here as much as possible. I don't need the drama in my life. 10 Years ago this forum was great, but now all the fighting and drama goes on and I can't get involved.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
But sam, you've been a great amount of it. You're here right now, contributing your drivel..............................:iamwithstupid:

bigben

We are open 9-5 M-T and close at noon on Friday. We normally still there but production goes faster without anyone at the door or calling.

A friend of mine have a shop that all production crew work 3am to 1pm 4 days a week and the sales/design team work 9-5 5 days. The production team asked for this to have their afternoon off, have an extra day off and skip the trafic every day. It work pretty well for the last 3 years or so.

Johnny Best

My grandfather always said “make hay while the sun shines”. So if the sun is out I will work. If I need a day off I will take it off. But if I have work and a deadline it is all hands on deck to accomplish it.

54warrior

I worked at a place that had a 9/80 work schedule. Basically you had two different "crews", we'll call them Blue and Red.

Week 1
Blue team works M to Th, 9 hours, has Friday off (36 hours)
Red team works M to Th, 9 hours, works 8 on Friday (44 hours)

Week 2
Blue team works M to Th, 9, works 8 on Friday (44 hours)
Red team works M to Th, 9 hours, has Friday off (36 hours)

Workers get 40 hours, don't get paid Overtime for the 4 extra hours on their Friday week, but also get an extra 26 days off per year, having every other Friday off. Makes it a lot nicer for scheduling vacations and you have a long weekend every other week.

Employer stays open M to F and their employees are happy for the extra days off.

Tyler Birch

Many studies show that productivity goes up in most scenarios in which workers "work", well, less (paired with competitive pay). CITE : https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-germans-work-fewer-ho_b_6172262

If it's deadlines and scheduling it's up to management to keep those tight and set up customer expectations. Split weeks with some production/installers working M-Th and some working T-F and offer overtime or incentive to do weekend installs. I know many owners who like to work 80+ hours but always get diminishing returns in their work but health and family life.

Just something to consider...

Stacey K

I like making signs
The last two office jobs I had we rotated to either have Fridays off or work a half day on Fridays. The employees liked it so well that management went to great lengths to try and implement the same type of thing in the production plants. I believe they ended up rotating days off during the week, not always a Friday. My sister has a daycare and implements 4/10's with each employee getting a different day off each week. It eliminates a lot of missed hours during the week for doctor appointments, etc. You know ahead what day you have off so everyone is able to schedule appointments/errands on their day/afternoon off. The factory up the road started 4/10 or 3/12. This really isn't anything ground breaking, many, many companies implement this.

Personally, I do whatever I can to have my Friday afternoons off. If that means working 14 hours a day and doing installs at night - I do it. Sometimes I work seven days a week but I avoid it like the plague. If I find myself in that situation it's usually because I've been a fool and created false deadlines or procrastinated or simply did not use my time wisely. I'm always learning with each new 80 hour week how to avoid another 80 hour week LOL