• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In Free Video Tutorial on Using Filemaker to Manage Jobs

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Do you guys ever print out your records/orders? I know using this powerful tool just to still have paper trails is kind of redundant, but until I get everything done I plan on using FM to input all the data/job info then print it out to use in our paper dockets. Any chance you have any tips/time to do a short video on how you would set things up to print nicely on a 8.5" x 11" sheet? If not, that's cool, but I figured I'd ask as I'm almost at that stage. Still need to export our customer data from QB and link to FM, but hope to be up and running by next week.

I have created a couple more videos for you explaining this at a basic level. Please let me know if something doesn't make sense. Happy to help!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I recommend visiting the Claris website to get the FileMaker Training Series. Specifically the "Bonsai" example file which is a finished invoice solution which can be updated to current look-and-feel and further customized.

https://support.claris.com/s/article/FileMaker-Training-Series-1503693097701?language=en_US

Know that a typical work flow is to use a custom FileMaker solution as the base order management and cost accounting system and then export / link to QuickBooks as the final invoice and bookkeeping system. Not the other way 'round.

Also know to identify your custom solution with your unique software name and not to refer to it as "FileMaker." FileMaker is the tool one builds software with. We do not refer to Adobe Photoshop as "C++."

FileMaker apps will run via browsers on Android currently.

Thank you ColorCrest! I've downloaded the document and will start skimming through it. Will have to look into the relation between QB / FM and what the best-case scenario would be for us. The main goal is to have a clear, organized system in place but I don't want to add a bunch of redundant steps that may discourage users from following protocol.
Good point about the naming convention - I've started off by calling it "Order tracker" but may edit that down the road as I expand it.
Good to know about running on android too.

CanuckSigns

I'm revisiting this and re watching all of these videos again, I was wondering if it's possible to have multiple items on a single order? For example if your client wants 10 yard signs, a banner and 1000 business cards, can you add a "add item" button that would add in another area for the quantity/description of the second item? Does that make sense?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I'm revisiting this and re watching all of these videos again, I was wondering if it's possible to have multiple items on a single order? For example if your client wants 10 yard signs, a banner and 1000 business cards, can you add a "add item" button that would add in another area for the quantity/description of the second item? Does that make sense?
You're asking if what is commonly known as Line Items can be added and the answer is yes.

What's required by most who are manufacturing custom, made-to-order goods which is different than shops just simply reselling goods or parts, is the sign shop is "portioning" their material amounts, machine, and labor times to customize the product & service. I believe software such as QuickBooks now offers "kitting" of multiple parts to construct line items but still not "portioning." ( XX amount of linear feet required to make a sign from a long roll of material, say.)

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
So what we do in our system is break customer requests into "Orders" and "Jobs." These are internal names and not really industry practice, but it's how we do it at FireSprint.

An ORDER is the invoice, or shopping cart basket on our website. An order generally has one ship to address and one due date. An order stores the information about the total price (Total, Tax, & Shipping) to the customer, It's a way to group jobs. There is NO artwork, quantity, material, etc attached to an order.

A JOB is the invoice line. Jobs are what you are probably thinking about when running through your system. Job has artwork and specifications.

Here's the way it looks in our system.

1638792815006.png

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I was wondering if it's possible to have multiple items on a single order?
The attached image is directly from a free Claris FileMaker training series of working example files. In this particular example, simply clicking into an empty Line Item portal row will invoke a drop list of products to choose which is sourced from a separate products table. In this very typical database or spreadsheet model there are three tables involved; orders, line items, and products. What is different with sign shops is they want / need to track the individual components which make up products. So, another table (or designation) of components is also required beyond the more commonly available solutions.

EDITED TO ADD: (It’s possible to use a “Product” table and, by designation, hold products and components together in the same table. That, however, is technicality beyond this discussion for the time being.)

grabOrderShowingLineItems.jpg

Last edited:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
ColorCrest do you have a link directly to that tutorial? I think it would help many.
The following link should go to a Claris Support page of FileMaker Training Series: Advanced Mac and Windows options. Be sure to get the "Advanced" version near the bottom of the page. Also know these resources might disappear at any time. (I'm surprised they're still available.)

https://support.claris.com/s/article/FileMaker-Training-Series-1503693097701?language=en_US