• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In Free Video Tutorial on Using Filemaker to Manage Jobs

GB2

Old Member
Gene, this is a fantastic effort you have made. Filemaker can be an awesome solution for the industry but as we know, there is a little learning curve when starting out. If I may make a suggestion, I am not a YouTube expert and on a quick glance I found it a little challenging to figure out where the videos were located and in what order they are in, perhaps you could number them some way so we can follow along in the correct order. Thanks!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Great idea!
Here's a playlist. This should play the videos in order starting with the intro. The videos are also numbered from Part 1-8 and then at the end of the playlist there are a few bonus features.

Please comment, like and subscribe on Youtube to help build the channel!

FireSprint.com

Also, here you go!
Series Intro:
Part 1 - FileMaker Print Shop Job Tracker - Getting Started
Part 2 - FileMaker Print Shop Job Tracker - Connecting Jobs to Customers
Part 3 - FileMaker Print Shop Job Tracker - Building Stronger Relationships
Part 4 - FileMaker Print Shop Job Tracker - Setting Up the Customer Center

Evan Gillette

Awesome work, even for those using other user interfaces for database type job tracking (we are on airtable right now) it helps to explain how records are linked and multiple tables are used. Keep up the good worked. Subscribed!

FireSprint.com

I added a few more videos the other day. Interested in what else I can explain if you guys have any more feedback. Thank you!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Spent a few hours this weekend re-watching these and following along while I started playing with FM. Really helpful and explained in a way that makes sense to newbies. I showed my buddy who's a developer and he was blown away by how powerful FM is without any/much coding at all. This coming from someone that gets paid to do coding every day.

FireSprint.com Curious how your actual (current state) job board looks like and if you've integrated scheduling and archiving finished projects? (I know you added a button to hide inactive, but not sure how those records can be reviewed afterwards, or used as a template say for repeat orders)

Also, is there a simple-ish way to create a field that will link to a file folder on our server/network? I tried playing around with similar steps you used to link to Fedex tracking, but got stuck on the "go to URL" part. Can you point it to "go to Xyz network location, or do you need a URL/IP address? I created the container field for layout images, but it only seems to work well as a preview. I'm trying to wrap my head around how to actually incorporate the working files for that job so that the user could pull up the job, review details and then click a link to a shortcut to that job's folder with all production files.

For now I'm just trying to set it up so that I have a simple new order/quote form and linking all our customer info. Will be trying to export our customer info database from Quickbooks and import it into FM.... I'm assuming that's doable but I guess I'll find out.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
This is great!

Filemaker has been mentioned quite a bit on this forum. have always been curious about it.

Just watched the first video, but tonight i'll watch some more.

What licence are you using? recomendations?

I will sit down and watch these in the near future. Filemaker is a great tool. My experience with it was in the past where we has a homegrown traffic management software built and managed hundreds of deliverables a day at a very large (100+ person) agency I used to work for. Looking forward to watching these and thanks for doing them.

FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Curious how your actual (current state) job board looks like and if you've integrated scheduling and archiving finished projects? (I know you added a button to hide inactive, but not sure how those records can be reviewed afterwards, or used as a template say for repeat orders)

Also, is there a simple-ish way to create a field that will link to a file folder on our server/network? I tried playing around with similar steps you used to link to Fedex tracking, but got stuck on the "go to URL" part. Can you point it to "go to Xyz network location, or do you need a URL/IP address? I created the container field for layout images, but it only seems to work well as a preview. I'm trying to wrap my head around how to actually incorporate the working files for that job so that the user could pull up the job, review details and then click a link to a shortcut to that job's folder with all production files.

For now I'm just trying to set it up so that I have a simple new order/quote form and linking all our customer info. Will be trying to export our customer info database from Quickbooks and import it into FM.... I'm assuming that's doable but I guess I'll find out.

So we don't really archive jobs in Filemaker. We set statuses. We have a complete and shipped status. In general, we build find requests in a script that only show "Active" statuses. When you get started, you hit the button to find all your active jobs and get started on your day.

As far as file management, we use Supercontainer by 360works. That's a whole different animal for sure. Here's a simpler way to connect with local (or even network) artwork:
1622116405698.png

I also made a quick video explaining this:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks Gene!! Super helpful. I'm going to test this out tonight.

I played around with some of the add-ons last night (Calendar & Kanban board) and I think that is going to tie everything together for us.

I'm so impressed by FM and your step by step videos have been a HUGE help, so thank you.

I'm also watching as many generic FM how to videos as I can, tons of great tips and knowledge out there.

Looks like I'll be able to achieve what I've always been looking for after all. Going to take a while and lots of testing but I feel confident in getting this done.

Do you guys ever print out your records/orders? I know using this powerful tool just to still have paper trails is kind of redundant, but until I get everything done I plan on using FM to input all the data/job info then print it out to use in our paper dockets. Any chance you have any tips/time to do a short video on how you would set things up to print nicely on a 8.5" x 11" sheet? If not, that's cool, but I figured I'd ask as I'm almost at that stage. Still need to export our customer data from QB and link to FM, but hope to be up and running by next week.

One other thing I'm also curious about - can these apps be run on an android tablet or only ios/Ipad? Not a deal breaker, I guess I could buy (1) piece of Apple hardware haha. (I'm a PC/Android guy)

Thanks again.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Do you guys ever print out your records/orders? I know using this powerful tool just to still have paper trails is kind of redundant, but until I get everything done I plan on using FM to input all the data/job info then print it out to use in our paper dockets. Any chance you have any tips/time to do a short video on how you would set things up to print nicely on a 8.5" x 11" sheet? If not, that's cool, but I figured I'd ask as I'm almost at that stage. Still need to export our customer data from QB and link to FM, but hope to be up and running by next week.

One other thing I'm also curious about - can these apps be run on an android tablet or only ios/Ipad? Not a deal breaker, I guess I could buy (1) piece of Apple hardware haha. (I'm a PC/Android guy)
I recommend visiting the Claris website to get the FileMaker Training Series. Specifically the "Bonsai" example file which is a finished invoice solution which can be updated to current look-and-feel and further customized.

https://support.claris.com/s/article/FileMaker-Training-Series-1503693097701?language=en_US

Know that a typical work flow is to use a custom FileMaker solution as the base order management and cost accounting system and then export / link to QuickBooks as the final invoice and bookkeeping system. Not the other way 'round.

Also know to identify your custom solution with your unique software name and not to refer to it as "FileMaker." FileMaker is the tool one builds software with. We do not refer to Adobe Photoshop as "C++."

FileMaker apps will run via browsers on Android currently.