• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Freestanding/portable outdoor sign - how big?

gnubler

What's the largest portable sign that can be expected to withstand wind & weather, the kind framed in wood with a triangle or lateral base. Can an 8x4 ft be done, or is that pushing it? Most of the ones I've seen in my area look to be 4x4 ft. I see them a lot for real estate agents, typically weighted down with sandbags (which just looks tacky). Have you made one that was anchored down with actual ground anchors or angled rebar to keep it in place? Here's some examples.

bandshell.jpg

freestanding-jobsite-sign.jpg

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
With the wind the IPNW has been getting... The sand bags will be less tacky than a tipped over sign. Both of those options you show and spec'd will get knocked over. I see those signs laying down all over town. Some times they get help from a bored or angry tweaker passing by. But, they need anchoring.

gnubler

Yeah, I agree with anchoring it. Around here it's a given with the wind and aforementioned tweakers. My main question is how large of this type of sign can you safely put up?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've done 4x8's in Texas wind.. I make the bottom skids out of full 8' long boards and seems to hold up fine. If it tips over, pick it back up.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
4x8s are pretty standard. With 10' skids, the chances of it tipping over are slim. Drill holes in the ends and hammer in inward-angled rebar and it will be pretty bullet proof.

gnubler

4x8s are pretty standard. With 10' skids, the chances of it tipping over are slim. Drill holes in the ends and hammer in inward-angled rebar and it will be pretty bullet proof.
That's what I was planning on doing. Once it's up, I'm going to start a pool betting on how long until it gets tagged.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
We sell and rent the Flashing Arrow signs and we use 12in Landscaping timber nails to drive thru the four legs like tent stakes to hold them down. Have had only a few tip over in high winds.

gnubler

Thanks for all the input. We got the job and will probably get it done before year's end. This is my first skid sign.