• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frustration gone to seed...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I just looked back over the titles posted by me in the Gerber forum, and was taken aback by how many problems I've been battling with my Edge. I got it off ebay from a really great guy in Canada... and it currently only shows 9960 print minutes.

For 3 straight days I've been thru every online support paper about "Data Error" and related printing problems. I've even tried setting everything up with a different CPU. Those same 3 days there's been a truck in my drive I've only got about half done - sometimes a print WILL go thru and everything will work... then right back to the errors.

I've re-checked every suggestion in previous replies... and should be in fine shape with all I've done to remedy this. However, now that I'm gonna be having some PO'd people calling me about late jobs, I gotta make something substantial happen with this issue. Would it be worth installing any new electronics in the Edge itself - or costwise, might I be better off getting into a different imaging technology - new with a warranty - and putting this Edge on a shelf in my electronics museum?

This Edge still owes me quite a lot of return on my investment, but if it's gonna be best to take a loss, I at least can withstand the amount. Thanks.

jimdes

I'm the last person to consult on an Edge since I don't have one, but common sense tells me to start with the cheapest component. Proper cable and proper length. Usually over six foot and you risk data loss or radio frequency interference. Also check to see if you have any loose connections and proper voltage supply to the unit. Measure the voltage with a meter, every data problem I've ever had (to date) was either voltage or cable related.

Barry

Dave,

If you like I will print the graphics for you and send them at the cost of shipping. This will get the truck out of your driveway. (Pending this is not a vehicle wrap :D) This will allow you some more time to get your edge working for the next job.

BTW, Im in Houston so it should only be 1-2 days shipping via UPS ground.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

World Class Sign People...

An offer like this from Barry shows the quality of people and community Signs101 has attracted. I'm impressed... what more can I say? He told me in an email all he needs is paid for shipping to help me out of this debacle... I've never even met him. This place is great.

Barry

Fred Weiss said:
:U Rock:Hey Barry ... that's great!

You're all right! I don't care what anybody says. :Cool 2:
haha... Well hopefully someone will give me a hand if Im ever in need. Its all about helping each other out when we can.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
RLS said:
Reading this thread brought tears to my eyes. Barry, you're a sweetheart. I love Signs101!

Mine too Ronna. I was so sad that my Edge isn't broke down so I could get Barry to do my work. :Big Laugh

Barry

Fred Weiss said:
Mine too Ronna. I was so sad that my Edge isn't broke down so I could get Barry to do my work. :Big Laugh
Hey now I can't be doing this all the time... :D I got to make some money for myself sometimes... ;)

Spot Color

Wow, I was about to make the same offer before I read Barry's reply. That's a fine thing to offer Barry. You've earned my respect.

Wayne

iSign

more kudos to Barry here. but lets get Dave up & running too... I think Jim has some very good points.

also is it an edge 2? I think on one media I was getting errors that were solved by setting the edge to print as an edge1. This setting is located by clicking on the camera-like icon in gspplot & right where you choose between 300 dpi or 600 dpi... you can also choose "edge 1"

I know there are many threads that can be searched on 4edgetalk.com I'm sure there are several here too, but I've been over there longer & can say for sure there is plenty of info in those archives.

Also, don't the data errors come with a number?

Tony T is extremely helpful, as has been evident on posts here as well as other boards. I've spoken to him on the phone a few times myself & I know he would try to help you trouble shoot this issue. Maybe you should edit your topic heading to the exact issue (Omega 2.0 data error 3... or somnething to that effect) to get more attention. Or look for contact info for Tony (or put his name in the topic)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In any event and to return to your original question:

Yes, you should repair your Edge and keep it. While the cost may seem high, the cost is much higher in lost work that the machine can do for you. Even if you move into a current state of the art inkjet, you will find a steady continuing market for items the Edge will do better and/or more efficiently.

As a non-working machine it has a few hundred dollars value. As a repaired working machine it has a selling value of a few thousand. As a repaired working machine it has a productivity value of several thousand dollars a month.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

May Be Onto Something...

Doug Allan said:
This setting is located by clicking on the camera-like icon in gspplot & right where you choose between 300 dpi or 600 dpi... you can also choose "edge 1"

That is the Device Select icon in the plot program. I checked it and noticed that my plotter is listed in there, but NOT the Edge. Should the Edge show up in the Device Select if everything is set up correctly? (I never clicked that icon so I don't know if my Edge was ever listed in the menu).

iSign

yes, it should show up there.

I suppose you need to "install" it there, but that is outside my memory of whenever it was that I did it, so I won't try to advise you other then to say mine shows up there & I'd be pretty confident in saying your should too.

dennis j

Dave, we had a similar problem had to get a static mat and set the Edge on top of it also grounded the Edge to the mat. After that no more problems.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Last Ditch Effort...

EVERYTHING points to a motherboard in the Edge issue from the processes of elimination info I got from Gerber's tech support archives. BUT... I'm dumping the processor, totally formatting the HD, and re-loading the software to see if a clean setup accomplishes anything.

RESPONSE to others' comments: The Edge finally showed up overnight in the Device Select menu! Weird... I did NOTHING to the machine at all, and left it on all night. This issue resolved itself somehow... as if this CPU is evolving and can heal itself sometimes! Heck... maybe I'll just let it stay on a few days and leave it alone to see what happens!

In the meantime... ennybuddy got an idea of what a motherboard costs for an Edge1 and how much fun it is to replace?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Getting at the boards in the Edge is easy enough. Just remove the screws on the bottom and then remove the black formed metal covers.

There are two boards. One is the mother board and the other is the power supply. I would remove the covers, blow out with canned compressed air and then inspect both boards for any visual abnormalities. Remake all connections and press down on all plugin microchips to insure good connection.

Dennis's suggestion of an anti-static mat is a good one also.

I had problems a few years ago and had GSP send out both a power supply and a motherboard. At that time, as I recall, the amount I had to agree to be responsible for until returning them was in the neighborhood of $1000 each. Probably higher now.