• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fujifilm Acuity UV Flatbed printer ink not sticking to Aluminum Composite board any more

uv

We have a Fuji Acuity Flatbed using K1 UV inks and for the last 6 years we could print direct to direct to aluminum composite board (ACB) then laminate and would be able to router cut without any problems.
6 months ago we started having a problem with the magenta ink. Nozzel check started going crazy and not spraying clearly, after visits from tech's fuji told us it was a faulty batch of ink.
Ink bag was changed and fixed the spraying issue, but since then ink adhesion to ACB is not what it used to be. When we cut the signs down to size after laminating the laminate will just peel off and take all the ink with it.

Told by Fuji that is seems to be a curing issue
we bought new lamps from Fuji no change /
we bought new lamps from digiprint / no change
we cleaned lamp windows / no change
we changed the ACB brands 3 different types. / no change
We print the board and leave in direct sunlight for 4hs / no change

Fuji tech came out and did multiple test with less % ink lay down 10 / 25 / 50 / 75%
Heavier colors was always worse when doing the tape test ( scratching ink with knife then apply tape and pulling off)
we printed pure colors and yellow seemed the worse of all the colors and so the tech said that yellow was the problem ink.
Yellow was changed and flushed and new filter. Still no change to adhesion.

Tech cam out and we gave him a piece of our ACB and the same print file we had been using he drove to another print shop who had same printer and same inks, got them to print to our ACB and brought it back to us.
We laminated the ACB and adhesion was perfect just like we used to have. Tech's comment was " This proves nothing".
the other print shop was using different print profiles than we use which was the only difference other than the board was put in the trunk of his car for 30mins before printing. Tech suggest we wait 30mins before printing - it was a hot day so maybe heated board had something to do with it??
The other print shops profile looked like is was laying down less ink than ours.

All fuji can suggest is to pre-treat the ACB with a primer which does work, but with lighter colors leaves smear marks from wiping.

I was recently speaking with another printer tech from another supplier and told him my problems and he thinks that the ink manufacturer has changed the ink specifications due to environmental reasons.
He suggested changing ink to Marabu. im note sure if that is the ink i am using at the moment or not.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas for a fix?

AP 3155 Adhesion promoter. A very little bit goes a long way. Should help with the smears the primer was leaving. Sounds like an ink formula change.

• Agree
Reactions: uv