• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gemini Font?

geb

Haven't had any luck finding the font for Hornwood. It's a raised letter off MDO, so I'm assuming a Gemini Font?? Can't pin it down in their catalogue.

Also not sure what the sans serif for Laminating is. That's in vinyl.

Haven't done a sign with raised letters before, seems a little intimidating. The current Hornwood Letters are gold plastic, with studs, and lettered two sides on half inch MDO. Would be a great learning experience to do this project.

Thanks for any help.

George

Attachments

• hornwood.jpg
    hornwood.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 173

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hornwood I can not get a match based on different earmarks appearing in the same font so I have no idea what it may have been based on. Parts of it look like Minion, parts like Garamond, nothing looks like all of it.

Laminating is close to Swiss 721 Bold Extended or Helvetica Neue 83. Hard to get any closer from a photo.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
For what it's worth, Gemini has a web app for displaying their fonts for different types of letters. Reviewing their formed letter styles, the font Architectural has the same earmarks. It appears lighter in weight but that may be because of the forming process making them bolder asa real letters than their chart would indicate. It does appear to be the only typeface offered that is even close.

Judge for yourself.

Attachments

• HORNWOOD.jpg
    HORNWOOD.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 125

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
GT Roman Round Face appears to be the closest match in the formed plastic series. In the flat cut fonts series GT Roman also appears to be very close.

Unfortunately, these fonts don't seem to appear in the sign design applet. But the True Type fonts are available in the Sign Professionals Area under downloads. You'll need to call Gemini for a password to enter that area of the site (unless you have access already).

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Very interesting Bobby. You must be looking in their catalog which i don't have available at home. Their Sign Designer gizmo must be an incomplete showing but on expanded exploration outside of the formed plastic showings, I found what they are simply calling Roman under "Injection Molded" styles.

It appears to be the font in question.

Attachments

• HORNWOOD 2.jpg
    HORNWOOD 2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 121

Marlene

To narrow it down, are the sides rounded or sloped in any way or is it flat on top and flat on the sides? If it's rounded, it's a molded letter and is more than likely stock as it cost a bundle to make a mold. If it's flat on the top with no slope on the sides, it could be a a Gemini Minnesota letter or it could be a custom routed letter. They make them up to 3/4" thick. I have custom done all the time when I can't get a stock font. When you look at them, they look just like a Minnesota letter from the front and sides. You can tell by flipping one over, if it's thick all theway through, it's custom cut.

geb

Thanks everyone. The letters are not rounded on top or the sides. Although I didn't measure, they appeared by eye to be 1" thick, or maybe a little smaller. They mentioned the letters were plastic with studs.

Thanks for all the help.

George

Marlene

They could be routed letters from a file provided to Gemini. The solid router cut plastic letters can be stud mounted.