• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

General Formulations GF830 Automark vs Arlon SLX+

TopFliteGraphics

Anybody have experience with these two materials? Trying to decide which on to try out and google reviews are no help. I have a coupe of Sprinter vans to wrap for a good client and both of these seem to be getting good reviews but no side by side comparisons are available

rjssigns

Can't help with a comparison but I like the SLX+. Installer is really happy with it as well compared to 6000xrp. He said spots where it took a lot of heat and finesse for the 6000xrp he just works the SLX+ into place and moves on. Prints much better than the 6000 as well.

CanuckSigns

The automark is a calendered vinyl, and the Arlon is cast. We use automark for spot graphics on vehicles, but I wouldn't use it to wrap anything, especially not for a good client.

I dont wrap, but my installer loves the SLX+, he said it's the closest to 3M 180 he has used.

TopFliteGraphics

The automark is a calendered vinyl, and the Arlon is cast. We use automark for spot graphics on vehicles, but I wouldn't use it to wrap anything, especially not for a good client.

I dont wrap, but my installer loves the SLX+, he said it's the closest to 3M 180 he has used.
Actually, I was asking about the new 830 AutoMark which is a cast material as well. I use the GF230 AutoMark for partial wraps and love the way it prints and is very easy to apply especially for a calendared material. I really haven't seen any reviews on the yet.

FCD

Haven’t tried gf830, but have done plenty of wraps with SLX+. Arlon SLX+ is closer to Avery 1105 in my opinion based on initial tack and stretchability. Requires a little more heat to conform than 1105 I feel like. Holds nicely in deep channels. It’s a Great choice for wrapping.

marsuni

Unitype-GR
After using Arlon SLX, never used other cast material!!!
Wrapping time in half, excellent printing on EPSON SC80600, great endurance in the weather of GREECE and of course great removability as well!!!

Tim de Beir

Arlon stays in deep channels when applied correctly, there’s also a bond layer between adhesive and vinyl that’s why material will not lift in recesses

rjssigns

The main complaints I have seen, haven't used either myself, is that Arlon leaves most of the glue behind during removal.
Hmmm...too soon to tell for us. Most of the stuff that gets removed has been wrecked so the body shop removes it.
I'll ask (if I remember) the next time I'm making replacement panels.

LarryB

We only use Arlon SLX+ with 3220 gloss laminate and love it. Make sure you post heat after application. Just as good as 3M and much cheaper.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
GF830 says cut lettering is not something that is recommended as film will lift. Just something to keep in mind on that vs SLX+
If it cut lettering won't stay down, what will happen on edges?

signheremd

GF830 says cut lettering is not something that is recommended as film will lift. Just something to keep in mind on that vs SLX+
If it cut lettering won't stay down, what will happen on edges?
The edges stay down just fine. Individual letters tend to move on the wax paper and then the transfer mask will pull them up before you post form heat them. We have used Arlon SLX for several years and love. Laminated, you don't use any transfer mask and it lays beautifully. I will agree that it can leave move adhesive than the 3M - especially if you go crazy on post form heating. It does not lift along edges on partial wraps. Very conformable. Highly recommend it.