• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge 2 Print Issue - Partial Head Drop?

MindsEyeOpen

Our Gerber Edge II has worked relatively fine since the days of Moses. However, today we suddenly had part of the print just stop. The majority of the print runs fine but then it just cuts out.

I checked the visible connections and everything looks good. Thinking (Hoping?) it might be a communication issue. I'm not getting any error messages though. I'm running it through a USB adapter and using MacImprint to print/cut.

I've attached a couple photos. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Gerber1.jpg
    Gerber1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 291
  • Gerber2.jpg
    Gerber2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 198

MindsEyeOpen

There is an internal test on the Edge II, I would try a number of those. Access from it's front panel, or read the manual. If no manual go to www.gspinc.com

Ran several of the tests. The "Solid Block" test was the most telling. Same issue as when printing from a file. About 70% prints while the rest is lost.

Anyone know a good Gerber tech in the Memphis/Little Rock area?

I had an issue with my Edge I where it would print everything but a 1.5" strip.
I just knew it was a bad print head. I contacted Gerber Tech support and they knew immediately what it was.
There is a data cable that runs to the print head and it had become crimped and had broken some of the wires inside the cable. Gerber sent me out a new cable and I was able to change out and was back to normal printing.

Steve

MindsEyeOpen

I had an issue with my Edge I where it would print everything but a 1.5" strip.
I just knew it was a bad print head. I contacted Gerber Tech support and they knew immediately what it was.
There is a data cable that runs to the print head and it had become crimped and had broken some of the wires inside the cable. Gerber sent me out a new cable and I was able to change out and was back to normal printing.

Steve

Steve,

I really appreciate the response. A co-worker and I have been pretty sure it was a communication/data issue but we really couldn't see any visible issues with the cables. We'll give a new data cable a try and see if it fixes things.

Thanks!

Tony Teveris

If the internal test failed as I think you said it's NOT the communications cable but one of the internal cables most likely the "data cable" going from the PC board to the head.

MindsEyeOpen

If the internal test failed as I think you said it's NOT the communications cable but one of the internal cables most likely the "data cable" going from the PC board to the head.

That was the cable I was referring to. Sorry, computer nerd here. I consider a comm cable to be a data cable. We got one ordered. Should be here tomorrow morning. I'll post an update with what we figure out.

Browner

I replaced one a couple of years ago on my EDGE LE.
The "hardest" part was fishing the connector through from the back of the print head (top of the machine) into its proper position... tiny hands would have probably helped.
I found that removing the dancer bar and foil squeegee helped make some room.

Attachments

• tight.jpg
    tight.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 232

MindsEyeOpen

Got the new print head data cable in this morning. Got it all routed through the Edge and plugged in. Fixed and cleaned a couple of other things and fired it up. Runs like a champ again. Really glad it was an easy and inexpensive fix.