• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Gerber Edge models explained/differences

Will308decals

Can someone explain the me the difference in the Gerber Edge FX, Edge 2, Edge 1 and Edge LE?

I know the Edge 2 and FX have the same printhead, so the final product will be the same. But is this the same case throughout the entire line?
Is there a big difference from the Edge 1/LE to the Edge 2?

Would appreciate any feedback,
Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Later models will print at higher resolutions, provide a choice for the print resolution, as well as run at faster speeds. The FX also uses a different foil cartridge that can be inserted without opening the printer.

netsol

the fx also has an integrsted network port. (the older ones are very easy to network, with a $50 print server)
the fx uses different foils with different sprockets, but there are adapters, to use your old foils if you upgrade to the newer, fx

Will308decals

the fx also has an integrsted network port. (the older ones are very easy to network, with a $50 print server)
the fx uses different foils with different sprockets, but there are adapters, to use your old foils if you upgrade to the newer, fx

I currently have an Edge 2 and looking to get something newer/with less print minutes. Would you spend 5k on another edge 2 (and envision plus a ton of foils), or would you spend 8k on an FX ( with an envision and a ton of foils)? I would prefer an FX of course, but I do not know if it is worth the extra $3,000.

Seller says he rarely used machines and had the FX and Envision maintained by GMS

What are your thoughts?

Will308decals

Later models will print at higher resolutions, provide a choice for the print resolution, as well as run at faster speeds. The FX also uses a different foil cartridge that can be inserted without opening the printer.

Hey Fred, appreciate the response!

I currently have an Edge 2 and looking to get something newer/with less print minutes. Would you spend 5k on another edge 2 (and envision plus a ton of foils), or would you spend 8k on an FX ( with an envision and a ton of foils)? I would prefer an FX of course, but I do not know if it is worth the extra $3,000.

Seller says he rarely used machines and had the FX and Envision maintained by GMS

What are your thoughts? Is it worth the extra $3k?
Edge 2 has 12k print minutes, envision 375 and 80 foils
Edge FX has “low usage” (unsure of print minutes at the moment), Envision 375, around 80 foils, and all maintained by GMS

netsol

the envison is quite a piece of engineering, as is the FX

what plotter do you cut with now? we have several edges and use the "bombsite" to align when we go to cut with a gs15, (i believe that's the correct model)

i think the envison and the new technology of the FX makes it a good investment.
we have both been following the thread about gerber end of life notices

the variety of gerber foils and CERTIFIED VINYLS will decrease, however

Will308decals

the envison is quite a piece of engineering, as is the FX

what plotter do you cut with now? we have several edges and use the "bombsite" to align when we go to cut with a gs15, (i believe that's the correct model)

i think the envison and the new technology of the FX makes it a good investment.
we have both been following the thread about gerber end of life notices

the variety of gerber foils and CERTIFIED VINYLS will decrease, however

I currently run an Edge 2 with an Envision 375. Both however, are very old. Work great, but I think it’s time to upgrade, especially with the news of Gerber stopping manufacturing. I mainly work with football helmet decals using convex, and I would like to switch to inkjet (possibly an HP latex 335), I do not want to relearn everything. I enjoy the ease of the Gerber machines and the software.

So while I currently have an Edge 2 and Envision, I need to upgrade to something newer and more fresh. My edge has 70k print minutes on it.
Just didn’t know if the edge fx was worth the extra 3k over the edge 2 given the outputted product from each is virtually the same

The news from Gerber also begs the question, is it time to buy or time to sell Gerber machines?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Edge FX has “low usage” (unsure of print minutes at the moment), Envision 375, around 80 foils, and all maintained by GMS

I would go with the FX.

ego198

I would go with the FX.
hi, why ? isnt true that it is said that Fx is more prone to failure due to more electronic "things components" that 2 and LE hasnt, so they were more rude workhorses and more difficult to fail..is this true or not?
Hope to hear your opinion as an expert..thanks

I would go with the 2..but im not an expert as you Fred.

To the Op: Also what about all your cart,s are you going to buy adaptor conversors from 2 to Fx?, you know you cant use 2 carts into Fx straight, you need adaptors for it...how many carts you got?
What is te reason to change from 2 to Fx, is there some jobs fx can do that 2 can not? i suposse not, all you can do with Fx you can don with 2 at a cheaper and problem free circumstances..for me its clear, continue with 2. no reason to upgrade.

Will308decals

hi, why ? isnt true that it is said that Fx is more prone to failure due to more electronic "things components" that 2 and LE hasnt, so they were more rude workhorses and more difficult to fail..is this true or not?
Hope to hear your opinion as an expert..thanks

I would go with the 2..but im not an expert as you Fred.

To the Op: Also what about all your cart,s are you going to buy adaptor conversors from 2 to Fx?, you know you cant use 2 carts into Fx straight, you need adaptors for it...how many carts you got?
What is te reason to change from 2 to Fx, is there some jobs fx can do that 2 can not? i suposse not, all you can do with Fx you can don with 2 at a cheaper and problem free circumstances..for me its clear, continue with 2. no reason to upgrade.

The only reason for the upgrade is my edge 2 has 70k minutes on it. It’s getting spotty on the printhead and it’s time to get a new printer. I just figured, if I’m getting a new machine, might as well get the one which has been serviced by GMS, and is 10+ years newer.

I did not know that the FX has had more issues than the Edge 2 though. And my carts I briefly thought about, but my edge 2 is still in good enough condition to where I will use the carts I have left, then once I run out, I will start transferring all my printing over to my new FX

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The only reason for the upgrade is my edge 2 has 70k minutes on it. It’s getting spotty on the printhead and it’s time to get a new printer. I just figured, if I’m getting a new machine, might as well get the one which has been serviced by GMS, and is 10+ years newer.

I did not know that the FX has had more issues than the Edge 2 though. And my carts I briefly thought about, but my edge 2 is still in good enough condition to where I will use the carts I have left, then once I run out, I will start transferring all my printing over to my new FX

My reasoning is that the newer machine will have more useful years of production as well as the latest features. Those extra years translate into a lower price per year to own the higher priced machinel

Will308decals

My reasoning is that the newer machine will have more useful years of production as well as the latest features. Those extra years translate into a lower price per year to own the higher priced machinel

I think I’m going to trust you on this one. The seller bought it brand new from GMS and hasn’t used it much. Also willing to take it to GMS and have them ship it to me. Might have them to do a service on it while GMS has it there. Seems like the stars are aligning on this one.

Also the newer machine will be much more safe given that Gerber is done making machines. If I’m gonna use this stuff for 15+ years, I don’t want a machine that is already 20+ years old

Browner

I was under the impression the print heads are the same across all three models - all of which are limited to 300 dpi along the head axis.

And at 70K print minutes, you should have lots of life left in that machine. Mine's currently sitting at 908723 !

ego198

when you talk about those minutes, it refers to the total minutes the whole machine its been powered on (prinmtiong or just waiting) or is it refers to just the minutes the printhead has been down and literally printing over the vinyl?

netsol

most important thing when shipping an edge is the shipping bracket that protects the ceramic printhead
it is fragile, like shipping one of your grandmother's christmas ornaments or a Faberge egg.

i normally will travel to pick one up, if practical, when i buy one

other than the protective bracket, the machine is fairly resilient & travels well

Gaugeco Inc.

If your worried about your Edge 2 having a ton of print minutes you can just swap out with a new head or have one as a spare!
PXL_20211114_235131158.jpg

Gaugeco Inc.

I still have all of the heads. I haven't worried about putting them online or advertising them. I purchased a lot of printers from a repair company that was going out of business. I have parts coming out the Ying Yang. Here is my wife's garage (of course I moved them to the side and stacked them on top of each other).......but I still get harassed just about every day LOL.

PXL_20211007_005200917.jpg

Stefan

The only drawback as I see it in your case if you're keeping the old edge 2 and decide to go with the FX, is that you'll need to store two different sets of cartridges. Other than that, I think the cartidges for the FX is cheaper than the ones for the edge 2?

Browner

when you talk about those minutes, it refers to the total minutes the whole machine its been powered on (prinmtiong or just waiting) or is it refers to just the minutes the printhead has been down and literally printing over the vinyl?
Print minutes is time actually printing.
I've been through two power supplies (one lasted less than 8 months. Still peeved about that), and a print head data cable. Other than that, the machine's been a workshorse!