• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge software key question

RJ California

We just moved our Omega software and Gerber Edge to a new computer. I seem to remember being told not to put the software key and Edge in the same lpt port. I'm short one lpt port on the new machine and currently have tem both in the same port. It works, but will this cause problems? We use Omega 1.56 for this 9 year old Edge.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Gerber has always recommended a two LPT port setup. You risk jobs stopping in the middle while printing and possible damage to the dongle itself.

Quick and easy solution is to get a comm card and add it to your system. Better solution is to upgrade to Omega 2.1 which will include a changeover to a USB dongle.

RJ California

Thanks Fred - I appreciate your quick replys!

I talked to Gerber NoService yesterday to get my old password (for which they charged me a $45 service call to look up!). I inquired about what the upgrade fee would be from 1.56 to 2.1 and I was told it would cost between $2000 to $2500.

A few years ago I moved into wide format with Mutoh and FexiSign Pro and I've been very pleased with that move. I've used Gerber harware and software for most of my 15 years in the business and I've always loved their product but hated their service (or lack of). If Gerber acted like they wanted my continued business I might upgrade, I just don't think that customer appreciation is allowed within their corporate culture.

Cadmn

as the New DHL commercial states customer service NO longer exists in most businesses & tech support is done in india by people that read a script & can not vary from it or they get lost.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The last time I checked the software upgrade was just under $900 and multiple seats were about half price for the additional seats. The price you've put forward sounds like it must include something else.

RJ California

I'm not sure what it included. After he told me that he was going to charge me $45 to look up my password I asked what it would cost to upgrade from 1.56 to the latest version. The guy at Gerber said "That's a pretty big upgrade. It's probably going to cost between $2000 and $2500." He did not even take the time to look the actual price. Typical Gerber attitude.

Tony Teveris

I would agree with Fred's number. I questioned the $2000 amount this morning in a meeting and everyone seem to say that that figure was way to high. So I'd call again or call your / a distributor and see what they say.

I also think $45 to look up a password is too much, but thats the Gerber line. You should have posted your troubles here first.

Tony Teveris

This is what you should have been told

$369 for OMEGA 1.56 to 2.1 for 1 seat
$795 for GA 6.X to OMEGA
$895 for GA pre-6.X to OMEGA