• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber edge

hics

Anyone still use there gerber edge?
I have one thsts just been setting for four years . I have a lot of foils too.
Do the foils go bad and what will I need to do to start using it again?
Or is it a boat anchor?
Are there many uses for them now?

Jburns

sure I use mine all the time. What generation is it? I think foils may go bad if they are really - really old. - kind of get flakey

signheremd

we still have and use one - I think it is about 20 years old. Standard maintenance should be all you need besides software and dongle: 3 in 1 oil the moving parts; 90% alcohol and lintless wipe the print head; clean the sprockets.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
I have a FX and use it daily - decals , small type lettering decals , keyboard overlays , window parking decals , small batch items ( short run) - been doing a lot of full color prints on heat-press material for masks and hats lately
You could sell it for parts or to someone as a backup - foils don’t usually go bad unless very old and kept in a non environmentally controlled area ( always someone selling them on eBay and sign forums) - l’ve bought edge 1&2 foils and used conversion end caps to use in my FX with no problem or customer returns -

bigben

Not a newbie
I have an EDGE II for about 5 years now. Still using it maybe 10 times a years. I'm trying to find more print opportunitys to use it, but that thing is very expensive to run.

Billct2

I use mine just about every week. Great for vehicle lettering with outlines/shades and special materials like signgold

hics

I have a FX and use it daily - decals , small type lettering decals , keyboard overlays , window parking decals , small batch items ( short run) - been doing a lot of full color prints on heat-press material for masks and hats lately
You could sell it for parts or to someone as a backup - foils don’t usually go bad unless very old and kept in a non environmentally controlled area ( always someone selling them on eBay and sign forums) - l’ve bought edge 1&2 foils and used conversion end caps to use in my FX with no problem or customer returns -

brdesign

I used to use one until about 10 years ago, it was the original Edge with the door knob handle on the front. I miss having access to one, it can do really cool things for small decals. I even wrapped a Dodge Caravan with it once, this was before solvent printers became common.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
How do you do full color prints and face masks
Would you mind sharing?

gerber printable heat press material, CMYK 300x600 dpi , gildon black face masks - 2 inch prints applied to the side of mask - 35 +- logos per foot of material. so cost = 3 or 4 masks the rest is profit . 2- ply Blank black masks are about 80 cents each printable heatpress material is about $6.00 a foot , foils cost depends on length purchased - even better if only one color logo - I use a hat heat press and depending on customer and quantity you can get $7-15 per mask
Print , die cut , heat press done - quick turnaround and I can do them between jobs - townships , schools , bars and restaurants - I do only local so I can supply them as needed 30-50 at a time easer for them and me
I leave the big orders to the online crazy’s or I can order silkscreened heat transfers cheap from a local vendor the most a mask costs me $1.50 each finished product or less ( I bought some materials at 1/2 price from other shops getting rid of stuff online and vendor close outs ) in a pinch I can get 50 masks same day Amazon for $45. ( perks of Amazon distribution center 20 min away)