• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber FX - Jamming Vinyl

phatmanu812

Has anyone else had a problem with vinyl jamming in the Gerber Edge FX?

I have:

1) shipped it off to Gerber and have them say there is nothing wrong with it
2) replaced the sprockets
3) replaced the squeegees
4) coated the surface on which the vinyl exits with a teflon lubricant (Leading hypothesis - the vinyl experiences a vacuum between the bottom of the exiting vinyl and the surface on which it exits the FX which prohibits the vinyl from disengaging from the sprockets)
5) adjusting the alignment of the incoming vinyl
6) adjusting the height of the incoming vinyl

The problem seems to be independent of room temperature and humidity and never happens with white vinyl. Some colors are more prone to jam than others.

Any thoughtful suggestions would be most welcomed.

Tony

J Hill Designs

my only thought would be: old vinyl that has shrunk to the point that the holes in the vinyl are off from the holes in the backing paper, therefore sticking to the sprocket tabs

Ditchmiester

I'm having the same issue but I have narrowed it down to when I'm using the backing or flooding of cast vinyl mostly oracal transparent 951. I can't figure out why it is happening either.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I had periodic jamming of material w/ my Edge 2 once in a while.
The fix was to clean the shaft of the movable back sprocket and give it a drop or 2 of oil.
Fixed the issue every time.
Not sure if the FX has the same back sprocket setup but probably does...

Ditchmiester

image-599676374.jpg

Is this what yours looks like when it jambs?

loumill

Did you find a consistent solution to this problem. My Gerber department after 5 years is "all of a sudden" having this problem with no material change. I was just wondering if you found an answer?

Tony Teveris

Tony, I passed your into on to the head of Support - you do not seem to be the only one having this type of problem. If no one contacts you in a week or so email me and I'll bug them again. With 220/225 you should not have to put any tape on the wipers. I'm wondering the the "base plates" the black sheet metal plates that the vinyl lays on are installed correct. Again let me know if no one contacts you.

Ditchmiester

Tony, I passed your into on to the head of Support - you do not seem to be the only one having this type of problem. If no one contacts you in a week or so email me and I'll bug them again. With 220/225 you should not have to put any tape on the wipers. I'm wondering the the "base plates" the black sheet metal plates that the vinyl lays on are installed correct. Again let me know if no one contacts you.

I'm having this problem too. Can you see in the picture if there is something i'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ditch

signage

Are you sure your punch pattern isn't messed up? looks like the tractor holes a bugged up on the far side of photo.

Browner

I've had this happen a few times. Could only figure that it was the little "prongs" that stick out from the bail arm. I found that if the vinyl had to go back and forth a few times, the punched holes would have a tendency to elongate. If it was bad enough, one of those holes could (and would) catch on the prongs and jamb things up - usually on the faster, return run of the vinyl. Once it was so bad, it just broke the prong off (as seen on the right hand side of the image). Interestingly enough, I don't think it's happened since. :thumb:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 154

Tony Teveris

Ditch, I sent you a PM also.

I have no clue whats going on, I'm just reporting the issue to Service and letting you know what they said. Hopefully when the issue is resolved someone will report back here so we all know the cause.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have had this happen a couple times. my "moveable" rear sprocket (the one that adjusts) doesn't slide well on its shaft.

Whenever you load vinyl onto the sprockets (in the home position), you have to make SURE that the sprockets are centered on the corresponding holes. If the sprockets are off a bit to the outside/inside your holes will become elongated and later rip through the holes and cause a jam like shown.

Most of the time for me the holes get elongated while printing, then the plotter tears the holes out... fixing the holes SUCKS.