• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

gerber loses connection mid print job

stickersteve

has anyone had this happen. This is a comment from my assistant.

It loses connection with the computer midway through a print job…once it loses connection, the job just stops printing. Sometimes a screen pops up on the computer that says “possible loss of connection with printer, try to reconnect?” I select yes and sometimes it reconnects and the job continues printing but most times it never reconnects. I have to cancel the job and restart the printer.

GB2

Old Member
I recently had the same problem after moving my Edge from one room to another. I tried reseating all the cables many times with no success and finally deleted the Edge setup from the software and set it up again from the beginning I'm not sure if I'm explaining that right but hopefully you know what I mean. After I did that I haven't had a problem since. One thing I can tell you in the mean time is to always Home your job before you start printing, that way if the problem occurs you can possibly start it again without loosing the whole job.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I've had this happen too. it doesn't happen as much as it used to. i usually go through the standard checklist: is the cable plugged in properly at both ends? if you're using an extension at some point, are all the parts/cables still working correctly? turn it on and off again. using GSPtray, uninstall the edge. close out tray and all GSP software. reboot, open tray and reinstall the edge as a printer.

are you using a true parallel port? i have a parallel to usb with an extender that i'm currently using and recently had some issues with the usb cable and had to replace.

Adam.Foster

8 out of 10 times the Edge FX stalling is a miss configured network setting or busy network. (its different if you have an edge1 or Edge 2)
Check your subnet mask settings on the PC and the Edge FX they should both have the exact same numbers, typically it's 255.255.255.0. If they are not the same change the Edge subnet mask so it matches the PC settings. (contact your IT department or PC tech for help doing this if you're not sure how)

If the subnet mask matches on the PC and Edge check your network cables and let me know which of the 3 configurations you are using.
1. Does the Edge FX network cable go directly into the PC? (best option)
2. Does it go to a network hub/ switch? (2nd best option) is the PC connected to this same device?
3. Does it go to a wall jack? (unknown option could be good, could be the problem)

If it's option 1 try a new network cable and double-check your subnet mask matches and the IP address is in the same range but a different number for the last 3 numbers.
If your setup is like option 2 or option 3 switch to option 1 and see if you have the same problem. (this may require you to remove the PC from your network to test)
If your PC doesn't have a network cable going into it your computer is on a WIFI connection and that would be your issue. We highly recommend a wired network connection between the Edge FX and PC.

If you have done the above and still get loss of connection open Windows Task Manager and go to the Performance tab and click on Ethernet. (do you have more than 1 ethernet port on the PC?)
Then send a job to the Edge and see what the usage looks like. is it maxed out? What does your CPU, Disk usage and memory look like? are they hitting 100% and staying near 100% when sending to the Edge?

GB2

Old Member
Adam, I see you are actually from Gerber....that is fantastic! Welcome! There have been some great people providing support from Gerber in the past...Tony, Skip and others. I hope you will be with us for a long time, I look forward to more of the same good advice, it is much appreciated. Thank you!

kritze66

If I remember correctly, we bought another GS750plus machine in 2015 and it had the same issue. The problem was the com cable was too long. I switched the cable out with a shorter one from our older machine and everything has worked fine since then.

Adam.Foster

If I remember correctly, we bought another GS750plus machine in 2015 and it had the same issue. The problem was the com cable was too long. I switched the cable out with a shorter one from our older machine and everything has worked fine since then.
GS750 is a serial device and can have up to a 100ft serial cable. If it's connected to a Gerber USB to serial adapter the USB side of the cable needs to be 15feet or less.