• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Omega Lagging?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Anyone else experiencing lagging in Gerber Omega recently?
We are running Windows 10pro and running Gerber Omega 6.5 and for the last couple of months it has been running really slowly some days.
I notice it mostly when sending to Omega Plot, or actually sending it to plot.

Everything else is running good and a reboot doesn't help it at all.
Both computers with similar configuration are both experiencing similar issues.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
have you cleaned out your PRM files? and the temp BMP files that are created when you import images, but then hang out on your hard drive for awhile?

since omega isn't a cloud software, if you're having a problem, it has to be something on your end.

jfiscus

Rap Master
have you cleaned out your PRM files? and the temp BMP files that are created when you import images, but then hang out on your hard drive for awhile?

since omega isn't a cloud software, if you're having a problem, it has to be something on your end.
I just deleted 15,000 .PRM files spanning the last 29 years! We keep everything on a server so the files aren't local.
I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've imported an image into Omega so I'm betting it isn't that.
I'll report back if the mass-deletion helps!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I just deleted 15,000 .PRM files spanning the last 29 years! We keep everything on a server so the files aren't local.
I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've imported an image into Omega so I'm betting it isn't that.
I'll report back if the mass-deletion helps!

Where did you find the prm files? I'll have to have a look at ours, probably also full of useless files!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Where did you find the prm files? I'll have to have a look at ours, probably also full of useless files!

I typically see them in the same folders as the .plt files.

You can always do a *.*prm search and delete them that way.

A quick google search shows they're parameter files.

Following.

JB

Last edited:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i use "everything" which is a super fast local search program. sooooo much faster than windows search. i just need to type in *.PRM and then delete everything it finds. i also have GSPplot set to ask me to delete archived PRM files when it opens.

i don't know why they cause lag with the software, but it's a small thing that tends to help. so i run maintenance about once a month to clear it all out.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
i use "everything" which is a super fast local search program. sooooo much faster than windows search. i just need to type in *.PRM and then delete everything it finds. i also have GSPplot set to ask me to delete archived PRM files when it opens.

i don't know why they cause lag with the software, but it's a small thing that tends to help. so i run maintenance about once a month to clear it all out.
Cool, thanks! Downloaded "Everything" and it is super fast. I can't stand windows search on any version after Win7.

netsol

I typically see them in the same folders as the .plt files.

You can always do a *.*prm search and delete them that way.

A quick google search shows they're parameter files.

Following.

we generally set ours to go to a windows\temp of user name\appdata\local\temp directory, so whoever clears them doesn't accidently delete a plt file

jfiscus

Rap Master
It seemed to help my computer somewhat, but it had good & bad days before this....
The other computer running the exact same setup is still lagging a lot with no change, so it might not have helped.

Also, there are SOME files on your local computer that are. prm files that you do not want to delete.
Photoshop had some and there are some Gerber default files with that extension.