• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting bad cuts when attempting to cut through backing

Purehobby

Im trying to perf cut through decals and they are not coming out right. See picture. Anyone know what i am doing wrong? Trying to get clean cuts all the way through so i can attempt die cut on different shape stickers.
Settings I was told to use by rep and im thinking they are wrong
perforation length- 1.969
perf force - 190
half- cut - 0.060
half cut force - 21
Material is 3651RA rapid air and oraguard 210 laminate.

Attachments

• 3528D0B6-378C-432B-BD4E-720C58079ADD.jpeg
    3528D0B6-378C-432B-BD4E-720C58079ADD.jpeg
    755.8 KB · Views: 490
  • 59F34567-BF08-47BA-8F0D-EBE41B0AED9D.jpeg
    59F34567-BF08-47BA-8F0D-EBE41B0AED9D.jpeg
    727.9 KB · Views: 335

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You are not doing double pass by mistake? I don't know why else it would make those small slits.
If you are kiss cutting that same material what is your pressure, 21? Because your half cut force should be the same as your kiss cut pressure.
21 sounds quite a low pressure for something with laminate.
If your bridges (half cut) isn't holding it in place at the end of the cut that can make some issues as well. Just make the half cut a little longer.
Also is your knife far out enough on the holder?

Purehobby

Here is what I have set. Should I turn off cut image boundaries maybe? I checked the blade and it was out farther then needed as well so I put adjusted that but I do not think that was the problem

Attachments

• screenprint.jpg
    screenprint.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well depends on what you are doing. Do you have a cut contour in your file?
Yeah I think you should turn that off, it's probably doing a double cut because of that.
You haven't selected the "Perform perforated cut for image boundaries" so it's not doing it by that.

Purehobby

Yes I have both a perfcut and cut contour. I tried without the cut boundaries on and it came out cleaner but still not cutting all the way through on a different design with more detailed turns and cuts. It seems when it gets in the cuts with turns its not getting through all the way or enough to pop decal out.

rjssigns

This subject was broached not long ago on the forum. IIRC someone was just kiss cutting twice with their Summa. Really looked to have the process dialed in.

I tried it on a wall pattern for mounting letters. Worked pretty good for a first time.

AGCharlotte

I can't see your full sheet but if the labels are butted together, is it doublecutting? I have to outline outer strokes if I have butt cuts so it doesn't try to cut each square individually.

Purehobby

Tha
Try the 60 degree. It's made for cutting thicker material.
I tried the 60 degree, it still cut some areas and not through all. I notice when its cutting its going really fast as well. If I try a double kiss cutcontour to cut out what should i start the cut settings at? Thanks everyone really appreciate the help. Nothing like burning material and ink learning.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
#1:
Stop guessing at pressure settings of doing multiple cuts on top of each other.
Another way to cut down decals is to do a inner kiss cut and a outer straight cut and let the end user seperate the decal from the backer. (See photos attached) You can print on the background or not.
Make the Kiss cut a different color than the straight cut and make sure you cut it first.
The extra 1/8" of material is minimal over 100 decals.
I use a 30 degree blade for the process.
Why are you laminating decals?
Solvant inks get a good two to three year outdoor life.
If your laminant is not UV Laminant its not going to last any longer, it just adds a scratch resistsnt coating.
You are burning up blades and spending extra money on materials and labor by laminating.

Attachments

• 20210714_220251.jpg
    20210714_220251.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 268
  • 20210714_220353.jpg
    20210714_220353.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 268

Purehobby

#1:
Stop guessing at pressure settings of doing multiple cuts on top of each other.
Another way to cut down decals is to do a inner kiss cut and a outer straight cut and let the end user seperate the decal from the backer. (See photos attached) You can print on the background or not.
Make the Kiss cut a different color than the straight cut and make sure you cut it first.
The extra 1/8" of material is minimal over 100 decals.
I use a 30 degree blade for the process.
Why are you laminating decals?
Solvant inks get a good two to three year outdoor life.
If your laminant is not UV Laminant its not going to last any longer, it just adds a scratch resistsnt coating.
You are burning up blades and spending extra money on materials and labor by laminating.
Thanks I was considering that its much easier but the look of a die cut on some is what some customers expect so id like to be able to offer it.
I laminate for a few reasons. 1 most of what im doing right now goes on off road vehicles that get dirty then vehicles are cleaned so stickers are going to be scrubbed a lot. 2 the thickness with the laminate makes it much easier to peel and stick on something. Im sure there are thicker vinyl then im using but im using exactly what have went on my vehicles for many years and its proven to work and great quality.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Well today I experimented.
I printed a sheet of decals on 6 mil vinyl, at the end of the day I laminated it with some cheap laminate.
Then I put it in my Graftec cutter, added about 50% more pressure and it started to cut light so I added a little more pressure and it was cutting great with one pass using a 30 degree blade. So it can be done with one pass instead of double kiss cutting. Probably will burn up some blades. Add a blade charge to the job to cover it.
I love challenge.
Hopes this helps you, keep us posted on your success.